Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad keeps saying activation required

My ipad keeps saying activation required . When I try to activate it does nothing else since it does not allow me to get past that. Im directed to the internet however i cant get past that either.what do i do?

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 8:08 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Akisa.
If I understand your post correctly, you're having trouble activating your iPad. I'd like to help.
If the iPad was purchased used, it may be locked to another user with Activation Lock. This article can help:
Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock
If the iPad was purchased new, make sure that you're using the steps in this article to activate your iPad:
Set up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
If you're still having an issue try these steps:
If you can't activate your iPhone
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2017 8:08 AM in response to Akisa

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Akisa.
If I understand your post correctly, you're having trouble activating your iPad. I'd like to help.
If the iPad was purchased used, it may be locked to another user with Activation Lock. This article can help:
Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock
If the iPad was purchased new, make sure that you're using the steps in this article to activate your iPad:
Set up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
If you're still having an issue try these steps:
If you can't activate your iPhone
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Sep 9, 2017 8:25 PM in response to Akisa

There seems to be rash of these Activation Required errors and seem to be affecting, mostly, iPad 2 models.

I have an iPad 2, but currently, it is unaffected by this issue.

It, also, seems this Activation Server Required error is affecting some other older iDevices, as well.

So, clearly, this bug/glitch/error/issue hasn't affected every single older iDevice still in existence and still running.

Hopefully, Apple is aware of this issue.

Just to make sure they are aware, make Apple aware and submit feedback here.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Good Luck!

Jun 10, 2018 12:21 PM in response to anafromdowney

The SIM card removal is the key for the Activation Server error on iPad 2 models with cellular data service.

You need to take out/remove tge SIM Card out of the SIM card tray of the iPad 2 to either re-activate it from the device or re-activate it using iTunes on a computer.

Removing the SIM card in a cellular data model iPad 2 will, in most cases, fix the activation server error.

Dec 6, 2017 8:56 PM in response to Akisa

This just happened to me on my very old iPad 2 which I have owned since it was new. It has been somewhat flaky recently, changing to the Apple logo randomly, but this time it came back saying activation required. It first asked to join a wifi network and seemed to remember the one I had been using, but did not continue. After trying that network several times, it finally asked for my Apple ID and password, with a hint about my email address. Once I got the message that the authentication server was not reachable, but the next time it went on to say I needed a two step verification, please enter a phone number for a text or call with a code. This could have been before or after it asked for iCloud setup - I would skip the iCloud stuff if it happened again, and, yes, that is an option. It also wanted a 4 digit number associated with iCloud, but one option was just to reset all iCloud (something) which I did. I half expected it to come up with a blank home screen, but happily, it looked just the same as it did an hour or two ago. I hope this helps someone, including Apple who should have fixed this by now.

Jan 17, 2018 2:39 PM in response to johnfromwestland

Not sure why this is happening.

I have an iPad 2, nearly 7 years old and mine is still running fine and still receiving app updates.

Have not have this activation issue.

Do you remember what you were doing before you got this activation issue?

Has anyone here just tried to reset their WiFi MODEM/routers to see if that clears up the issue?

Could be a connection issue.

Jan 28, 2018 2:41 PM in response to Akisa

I woke up this morning to find the same problem on my iPad 2. I've spent the best part of 8 hours today trying to circumvent this including updating, restoring, the lot. No joy. I bought this from new about seven years ago so I do hope they don't ask me for proof of purchase, and that they can fix this somehow.

Oh, and Michel, just because your iPad 2 works fine, it doesn't mean the rest of us are imagining this.

Jan 28, 2018 8:44 PM in response to Akisa

I solved it on my iPad 2!

The issue was a had a old SIM card inserted from years ago. I took that out and the activation proceeded perfectly.

Big thanks to the people who suggested connecting it to iTunes because when it was plugged in to my laptop and it failed to activate, there was a pop up that suggested checking the sim was inserted correctly. No conspiracy this time! Hopefully this helps everyone else

Apr 14, 2018 10:25 AM in response to brenden dv

Hello Brenden - I know it’s been many months since the original post and I dont know if you received any feedback but here’s mine. I should not need to activate my ipad because I have had it for 5 years and used it all that time. I was using it this morning to play a game, I clicked on a link in the game and the ipad restarted

itself, and now wont do anything except show an “activate ipad” message, which does not work. It tlls me the activation server is down.

Again, why do I need to activate it in the first place, I activated it 5 years ago.

I own a second ipad, which has not done this even though it has all the same games and apps.

Any solutions?

My ipad keeps saying activation required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.