Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't launch on Windows 10 PC

My iTunes won't launch on my windows pc. I don't get any error message, just no response. I've tried uninstall and reinstall. I've tried uninstall and manually deleting any file with iTunes in the name and reinstalling. Of course I have rebooted each time. Still no response.

Windows 10

Posted on Jul 31, 2017 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2017 6:04 PM

Try the following in turn until iTunes opens normally:

• Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build they had to use this method every time.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2017 6:04 PM in response to litbigal

Try the following in turn until iTunes opens normally:

• Locate the shortcut for iTunes, right-click on it, and select Run as administrator. Doing this once may fix certain launch issues. Some users were finding that with the 12.6.1.25 build they had to use this method every time.
  • Try holding ctrl+shift as you launch iTunes so it opens in safe-mode. Again doing this once may sometimes help.
  • Delete the iTunes shortcuts from the start menu, desktop, task bar, or similar, then repair iTunes from the programs and features control panel.
  • Try Fix unexpected quits or launch issues in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support and test the behaviour in a different user profile or with a different library. If the problem only exists in your profile it may be possible delete some of the iTunes preference files which it would seem that iTunes may be choking on. We can go into details later if the issue is limited to your own profile.
  • See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice.
  • Or see the iTunes installers section and reinstall the last version that worked correctly for you.

tt2

Aug 1, 2017 1:52 PM in response to litbigal

You could change the properties of the shortcut so that it always runs iTunes as the administrator. Either that or perhaps some tweak to UAC settings would let it work normally. Can't say I know for certain as I haven't had to deal with it personally.

I've posted to your Windows 10 does not find device thread. If you have another question you can post a link to it in any thread where I have posted and I will endeavour to take a look.

tt2

Aug 1, 2017 11:22 AM in response to turingtest2

TT2, thank you for your quick response. Using the right-click, Run as Administrator did get it to launch, but I'm required to do that every time. I'm also having some other issues, so I am going to follow the detailed uninstall-reinstall instructions and see if that solves my issues. I'll get back to you on my results one way or another. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2017 12:59 PM in response to turingtest2

TT2,

So I did the complete uninstall of all the programs, in the proper sequence and made sure there were no lingering files. I made sure I reinstalled iTunes as the administrator. My system still requires me to right click on the shortcut in order to get the program to work. Repeated attempts confirm this. So I guess it is working, albeit a bit klugey. It does play songs again, so I guess I am grateful for that. Any thoughts on how I can get the shortcut to work normally would be appreciated. Note that if I click the start button in the lower left corner and navigate to the program, I have the same issue.

I have a different issue, one that I had prior to an extended vacation, that I am now able to return to. But I'll put up a separate post as it is a separate problem. Perhaps you could look at that one to?

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2017 2:44 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2, I tried your suggestion to change the properties of the shortcut and that did work. The PC still asks me each time 'Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device' so it would be nice to make that go away. I see where I can change the sensitivity of the question to make it stop but that would work that way for all programs and that wouldn't necessarily work to my advantage. Making progress though.

Thanks!

iTunes won't launch on Windows 10 PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.