Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 does not find device

When I plug my iPad into my Windows 10 computer nothing happens. The PC doesn't respond or see the device. Nothing happens at all, as if I hadn't plugged in the device at all. I've tried 3 different cords, although all have been known to work, including an Apple cord purchased directly from Apple. I tried 3 different USB ports, even though all the ports work with different devices. I tried Apple phone support and all of their suggestions but nothing worked. I tried the PC manufacturer who told me that maybe they could fix it for $89 per hour, so I haven't gone down that road yet. Any suggestions?

Windows 10

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 1:08 PM

24 replies

Aug 1, 2017 1:34 PM in response to litbigal

Did you try rebooting both the computer and your device?

On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Also:

Inspect the lightning port on your device, maybe it's clogged with dust, debris or lint. Clean it with toothpick and/or compressed air

You can get free service at the Apple Genius Bar

You can get your device serviced by contacting Apple Support, or by visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider next to your place:

Start a service request: http://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action?locale=en_US&caller=sfaq& PRKEYS=PF9

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider: https://locate.apple.com/us/en/

Make an Apple Store appointment: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Contact via phone: https://support.apple.com/HT201232

Contact your carrier: https://support.apple.com/contact

Aug 1, 2017 2:08 PM in response to litbigal

Well, it seems you have 3 options:

1. Pay $89/hr for the manufacturer of your PC

2. Google around some more for more possible solutions.

3. Take your devices to the Genius Bar, which I think is your best bet. To save time Make an Apple Store appointment: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ otherwise you might be waiting a long time to get service as awalk in.

Aug 1, 2017 3:27 PM in response to litbigal

I use Apple Music, it's awesome, you have access at your fingertips to all the CD's in your library (you'll never need to RIP CDs again) plus many more. You instantly have access to almost all the music in the world!

But if you don't want to go that route, did you try to sync your device over Wifi?

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Aug 7, 2017 12:36 PM in response to litbigal

See iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows. If there is at least one image in the device's camera roll, and you unlock the device before connecting to USB, it should appear in Windows Explorer even if iTunes isn't detecting it. If Explorer doesn't see it either that would point to a physical port problem, otherwise a driver issue is more likely.

tt2

Aug 1, 2017 2:05 PM in response to Saifan Pilot

Saifan, thank you for your suggestions. As for rebooting, I've rebooted my iPad 5 or 6 times now since this problem started. I've lost count. As for my PC, it's been rebooted I'm guessing 30 times or more. This issue has been ongoing for awhile so there have been many reboots. As I mentioned in my original question, I tried Apple phone support but they were not able to solve the problem. As for the genius bar, I'll admit I didn't think of that. But since the issue is an interaction between my iPad and my PC, I'm not sure it would be practical to bring in both devices, as my desktop machine is somewhat bulky. Upon close inspection, the lightning port seems to be very clean.

Thanks anyway.

Aug 1, 2017 2:15 PM in response to litbigal

Hi litbigal. Has this ever worked with this iPad and computer?

What model iPad is it? With what iOS version?

Do you get no reaction from the computer when you connect the iPad (already unlocked) to the computer? It should at least prompt with a choice of programs to handle this new USB device?

Have you tried completely uninstalling iTunes, then reinstalling it? That may replace/update the Apple Mobile drivers.

Aug 1, 2017 2:18 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2, thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I can't get past step 3, as the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver doesn't appear anywhere in the Device Manager. As the article suggested, I've looked in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Imaging Devices, Portable Devices, Other Devices, and as an MTB USB Device.

On another note, I found a different article explaining how to manually load the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver but it doesn't seem to want to load. Perhaps this is because the PC doesn't see a device that might need this driver? If so, that of course would just lead me back to my original issue.

Thanks anyway.

Aug 1, 2017 2:33 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Diana, yes, my iPad worked quite reliably with this computer for about a year. 6 days after my one year warranty expired I started having problems. I try to maintain the latest updates, so it is entirely possible that either or both of the devices were updated around this time.

My iPad is an iPad Air, model number MF016LL/A,running IOS 10.3.3 (I believe this to be the latest, as it updated last night) but to be clear, my iPad has had this issue since June.

My desktop is a Dell running Windows 10. I'm not sure off hand of the model number, but I've had it for about 14 months, so its old but not ancient.

As for reaction from the computer upon plugging in my unlocked iPad, there is none. Just nothing. No prompts. Its as if I never plugged it in, which is why I have tried 3 different cords, including an Apple branded cord purchased from Apple.

As for uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, I did so today following the instructions from a different person in this community, which resolved some other, different issues.

Thanks!

Aug 1, 2017 2:55 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2, I tried the steps just after step 10 again, just to be sure. There is no response at all from the PC. Its as if, as the article suggests, that I might have a bad cord or fluff in the connection port. I guess these possibilities remain, but I have tried using 3 different cables, including an Apple cable purchased directly from Apple (note that this cable does work with my wife's iPhone when she connects to her PC). As for the connection port, a close, well lit inspection appears to show a clean and uncorroded port. At least to my eyes.

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2017 11:52 AM in response to litbigal

Update:

I decided that to further pin down what the issue may be I tried to plug in my iPad to my wife's computer. First I plugged in her iPhone, mainly to confirm that her cable is still functional and her PC recognized her iPhone no problem. I removed her iPhone and then plugged in my iPad. Nothing, no response from her computer at all, the same lack of response that I got from my own PC. At this point I have to believe it is the port on my iPad that is defective, although oddly enough it charges fine when plugged into the wall, but I guess that's a different pin or two in the port. I guess my only choice at this point is to take it to an Apple store and see if there is anything they can do. Thanks everyone for your help.

Windows 10 does not find device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.