Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro stuck loading in after logging on

This morning, my MacBook decided to not fully start up. After I put in my password and hit enter it goes to the usual loading bar but stops somewhere between 50% and 75%. I let it sit like this for almost an hour and it still does nothing.

I have tried booting up in safe mode, but it does the same thing. I have also done the "command option p r" thing which also didn't help. And I have also tried to reinstall the os which didn't help either.

I am running sierra. Don't know what else I can try but any help is appreciated.

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 11:12 AM

It's possible that one of your login items is corrupted.

Try the following:

• Allow your Mac to boot up normally to the logon screen.
  • Enter your password, but DON'T click on Login yet.
  • Hold down the SHIFT key, and then, click on the Login button. (Note: This should bypass any login items in your user profile.)

Does your Mac continue to the Desktop screen now?

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 11:12 AM in response to jgoodier

It's possible that one of your login items is corrupted.

Try the following:

• Allow your Mac to boot up normally to the logon screen.
  • Enter your password, but DON'T click on Login yet.
  • Hold down the SHIFT key, and then, click on the Login button. (Note: This should bypass any login items in your user profile.)

Does your Mac continue to the Desktop screen now?

Aug 7, 2017 10:35 AM in response to jgoodier

Please try the following, in order. Stop at the step where the issue is resolved:

1. Reset your Mac's SMC.

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

2. Reset your Mac's NVRAM.

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

3. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

Feb 26, 2018 7:32 PM in response to jgoodier

Good try but no joy. I've used Safe Boot - (Shift key), the Apple Hardware Test - (D key), Reloaded the system, (Command key and the R key), Reset the NVRAM, (The Option, Command, P and the R key keys - hitting all 4 keys at the same time just after the boot ring takes a lot of planning!) and finished off with the Verbose mode (Command V). The Verbose model showed no Unix errors. I only read the last 10 pages of the Unix code preceding the freeze. I'm on 10.13.3. With all the security issues I'm careful about keeping up with security updates.

Apr 30, 2018 7:47 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks, this helped me.

On login the loading bar would eventually go all the way across and then stay there forever.

After resetting the SMC, the SHIFT login got me to the desktop where some Logitech mouse or keyboard app was prompting to be updated. Since Logitech devices weren't being used anymore on that Mac, I simply uninstalled the app (I found the uninstaller in Applications/Utilities).

Login now works and is snappy.

Mar 28, 2018 12:50 PM in response to jgoodier

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? It happened to me today with my 2012 MacBook Pro. Gets to the login and then hangs up.

It was working fine until I moved the mouse to the dock and then it hung for about 10 seconds and then logged me out. Has been doing this for some months now since one of the High Sierra updates. Normally it would just allow me to log in again but this afternoon it fails every time. Reset the NVRAM and so on, tried restarting in safe mode but still hangs, spent many hours reinstalling the OS but still the same problem.

I suspect it it is an Apple OSX thing which has been very shaky the last six months or so. Very annoying as I am self employed and rely on this computer to do my job.

Any help? (Having to type this on my old iPad!!!)

Dec 27, 2017 11:41 AM in response to rajivpaulsingh

During the boot up process where the progress bar appear, your Mac is attempting to load kernel extensions. Most of these will be third-party device drivers.

I would suggest that you uninstall any devices that you are using with your Mac and download and install the very latest drivers that support the version of macOS running on your Mac directly from the device manufacturer sites.

Apr 1, 2018 8:46 AM in response to LeeYogi

I managed to solve the problem, but it was rather drastic and requires a time machine backup. I wondered whether the hard disk had developed a fault, despite diskcheck saying it was ok, because I could hear it cycling through a repeated sequence when I put my ear to the Macbook, usually a sign that it was unable to read a sector. So I replaced the hard disk, by opening up my Mac with a screwdriver (removing all the little screws underneath) and taking out the hard disk. It is a standard SATA disk and I bought a replacement (a Toshiba 500 GB 2.5" which I believe is what is used in the 2011 Macbook Pros - in fact it looked identical to my existing har ddisk), plugged it in and closed up the Mac. When I rebooted I either held the shift key down or the R key (can't remember now but it is referred to online) to start in recovery mode. You get some options, one of which is to reformat the hard disk, which I did to standard OSX journaled. Then I selected restore from time machine and waited 10 hours. Once the system was restored everything seemed to work fine from then on. However, the machine did "crash" once, again when I moved the mouse to the dock to open a program. Before I even got to the program the dock crashed for about 10 seconds and then the systen logged me out. But this time I was able to log in again.

Ho hum ... I hope Apple come good again. I left Microsoft some years ago as the Apple products were better, but now I am not so sure. And they are hideously expensive too.

Jan 3, 2018 9:12 AM in response to mtibb001

Please start a new post. Although the issue you are having may be similar to the OP's, the solution may require a different approach. Also, include as much information as possible in your post.

Include:

• The exact model of your Mac.
  • The version of OS X or macOS that it is running.
  • A full description of what you are seeing when you boot it up.
  • Did you try using Recovery mode?

macbook pro stuck loading in after logging on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.