Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch (Gen 1) Screen fell off

I purchased my Apple Watch (stainless steel) in June of 2015. Being a near $800 Watch, saying it's been well cared for is an understatement. The Watch has ... no scratches or dents, never been dropped, or exposed to water. While working at my desk at work I noticed the screen dangling from the Watch housing. I took the Watch to a local Apple Store, and they sent it to Apple for further review. After a couple of days they called and refused to fix the Watch because they claimed the screen fell off because of "accidental damage" and the device was "out of warranty."

Does this look like a Watch with accidental damage??

Apple's reputation of quantity craftsmanship has always been the justification for the premium price tag, but should we expect hardware to "fall apart" for no apparent reason after only 24 months?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 12:48 AM

89 replies

Nov 19, 2017 3:55 AM in response to Usmominoz

Apple Watch is not user-serviceable and Apple does not offer a screen repair or screen replacement service for Apple Watch.

If the issue is not covered under warranty or any other Apple policy (be sure to ask), then your Apple Watch may instead be eligible for replacement via chargeable, out-of-warranty service.

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options:

I'm afraid that no-one here can tell you what Apple will decide in your specific case. You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

In the meantime, note that Apple advises that you should not continue using a damaged Apple Watch.

Feb 4, 2018 3:38 AM in response to MjBergoine

Hi

Apple Watch is not user-serviceable and Apple does not offer a screen repair or screen replacement service for Apple Watch.

If the issue is not covered under warranty or any other Apple policy - be sure to ask, with specific reference to potential battery issues - then your Apple Watch may instead be eligible for replacement via chargeable, out-of-warranty service.

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options:

I'm afraid that no-one here can tell you what Apple will decide in your specific case. You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

In the meantime, note that Apple advises that you should not continue using a damaged Apple Watch.

Sep 17, 2017 4:39 AM in response to mercadoj

I have the same issue with my first generation (stainless steel) Apple Watch. One day the screen just popped off while I was walking and now it hangs by the ribbon cable. I can press the screen and the body together but the screen doesn't remain attached.

I took it to the Apple Store this past Friday and the Genius Bar confirmed that there is no physical damage. However, they told me that my AppleCare warranty is expired and my device is not covered. I mentioned that I've read that Apple has extended the warranty for first generation Apple Watch to 3 years. They said the extended warranty only applies to the Apple Watch Sport - not to the Apple Watch or Apple Watch Edition. Out of warranty repair cost is $249.

Very disappointing for a $700 device for someone who over 20 years has spent tens of thousands on Apple products and thousands on AppleCare.

Oct 14, 2017 2:17 PM in response to mercadoj

This is exactly the same situation I had. I was sitting at my desk at work and noticed that the screen was suddenly detached. I have only had my watch (Nike version - 2nd generation I think - 38mm) for 4 months and I have never gotten it wet or dropped it. I was shocked when Apple sent it for repair and I was told it was found to have been accidentally damaged. There are not even any scratches on it. I would think there could be accidental damage in simply shipping a product with out a connected screen if that is the case. I don't typically buy Apple care because I am careful with my devices and the devices are usually of good quality hardware-wise. I am shocked and upset about this. It may be the end of my relationship with Apple products. This is unacceptable.

Feb 9, 2018 11:42 AM in response to rrekkspillmann

Mine just fell off while traveling in South America. I was in the car driving to an Apple Reseller to buy a new band for the Apple Watch, in São Paulo, before getting out of the car I wanted to check the time & saw the Watch popped open on the right hand side. Not sure if I can take it back to Australia or Europe for repair, because the battery looks swollen?User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Aug 28, 2017 11:58 PM in response to donnaf308

donnaf308 wrote:

The exact same thing just happened to me. .. How would you know if it is the battery swelling?

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

Feb 10, 2018 3:46 AM in response to MacMoritz

If the issue is not covered under warranty or any other Apple policy (be sure to ask, with specific reference to the battery), then your Apple Watch may instead be eligible for replacement via chargeable, out-of-warranty service.

Select your country for Apple Watch service and repair information

Feb 10, 2018 5:51 PM in response to mercadoj

Hi, Mercadoj!

I am really sorry to hear about your Apple Watch and I wanted to reach out to to you about this post despite it being late!

I wanted to let you know about the watch, it doesn’t not look damaged from personal experience and from using Apple products and being part of Apple for so long, the good thing about Apple products is they are durable and made to last! I think your Apple Watch in Stainless Steel is okay! And reguarding Johanthans post, the Apple Watch is not user serviceable BUT IT IS Serviceable by Apple and the Apple Watch screen is replaceable; but it cannot be serviced in an Apple Store but you can contact Apple Support to get the watch looked at if you still want to and you can find out more about repairs here! https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service And learn about prices and information there but it is only replaceable under AppleCare+

Aug 16, 2017 1:14 AM in response to mercadoj

Hi

Some other users have experienced screen detachment issues with their Apple Watch. This can be due to various causes, including not handling the device in accordance with Apple's guidelines.

Whilst Apple has not announced an exchange or repair extension program for Apple Watch, you may wish to ask the Apple Store to check whether your issue is covered by any internal policy regarding swollen batteries on first generation Apple Watch models.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that no-one here can intervene in your support case. It is also not allowed here to conduct polls.

Aug 16, 2017 9:38 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks for the feedback Jonathon. I already tried to have the Watch fixed or replaced under the extended battery warranty, but the battery does not appear to be swollen. The purpose of my post was to see if anyone else is in a similar situation, and how they were able to resolve their complaint with Apple. I am not seeking to conduct a poll here. I just want my Watch back; and I do not think it's reasonable for hardware of apparently self destruct.

Any additional feedback/help would be appreciated.

Aug 28, 2017 2:01 PM in response to mercadoj

The exact same thing just happened to me. I was sitting in a conference room at a work meeting and the screen fell completely off. My watch has not been damaged in anyway. We are in triple digit heat right now but I was sitting in an air-conditioned room when it happened. Hoping to get it fixed but I know that it is outside the warranty period. How would you know if it is the battery swelling?

Nov 17, 2017 9:25 PM in response to mercadoj

Same thing happened to my watch. Stainless Steel also. Never been dropped and hardly even worn...and never near or in water. I took my watch into Apple in April to get it repaired because by screen just fell open and dangled from the cord...watch still works flawlessly btw. Apple “Genuises” told me it would be $200+ to swap my watch out! 18 months and a $700 Watch is now useless unless I pay even more money. There are too many people with the same issue for it to not be a manufacturer error!

Nov 29, 2017 6:40 PM in response to mercadoj

I just had that happen to me literally 2 hours ago. I was sitting down at a table and noticed my watch screen was hanging. Just took it into the store that sold it to me and said it had no physical damages so they sent it off to one of the repair companies and I should get it back in 10- 14 working days. My watch is the sport version gen 1 and have had it now for a year and 9 months so should be in decent condition.

Apple Watch (Gen 1) Screen fell off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.