Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync mail on all devices.

Mail syncs on my iPad and iPhone but not on my mac- when I get back from a trip I have to go through all the mail again. My primary account is a POP account and they want $8 a month to change it. Why does the sync work on my iPad and iPhone but not on my Mac?

Dual2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2017 10:25 AM

Sounds like your iPhone & iPad are set up as IMAP. You can verify that by opening the mail account in settings on each device and go into the advanced settings. Check to see if the mailboxes are store on the server or locally.

Never heard of a provider charging to change your account from POP to IMAP. It's generally to where you just set it up as your choice.

You might try deleting the account and then add it back in. It will probably automatically set it up as IMAP when you do.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2017 10:25 AM in response to teafreestudio

Sounds like your iPhone & iPad are set up as IMAP. You can verify that by opening the mail account in settings on each device and go into the advanced settings. Check to see if the mailboxes are store on the server or locally.

Never heard of a provider charging to change your account from POP to IMAP. It's generally to where you just set it up as your choice.

You might try deleting the account and then add it back in. It will probably automatically set it up as IMAP when you do.

Aug 16, 2017 6:16 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

This is a copy of the email I received from my website host:

Hello,

Yes but pop download the email to you computer and imap leave the mail on the server and if you delete from one device it removes it from it all. How much is the service we have a paid one that we just started but it is 8.95 a month and does not need to be install on your computer it filter the mail before it is delivered.

Rob F

Robert F - Support Operator

Dogbark.com | info@dogbark.com

I just haven't had time to change to a different host- I really don't want to but perhaps this is the only way.

Thank you.

Aug 16, 2017 7:00 PM in response to teafreestudio

teafreestudio wrote:

This is a copy of the email I received from my website host:

Hello,

Yes but pop download the email to you computer and imap leave the mail on the server and if you delete from one device it removes it from it all. How much is the service we have a paid one that we just started but it is 8.95 a month and does not need to be install on your computer it filter the mail before it is delivered.

Rob F

Robert F - Support Operator

Dogbark.com | info@dogbark.com

I just haven't had time to change to a different host- I really don't want to but perhaps this is the only way.

Thank you.

If that's an actual copy/paste of the email you received from them, you would be well served to find another hosting provider. They are either complete idiots or don't care to take the time to bother writing comprehensible sentences. Given that their web site is entirely in English, they should be reasonably fluent in the language...

Aug 16, 2017 6:51 PM in response to KiltedTim

I agree. This is the first time I received anything like this from them. The reason I have stuck with them is I could always get a person on the phone that was very familiar with the company. I think they have grown past that now.

However I think Glenn Leblanc has solved my problem I just now have to see if it works as it should when more emails come in.

Aug 17, 2017 5:09 AM in response to teafreestudio

What do you mean they are all checked? Does Sent messages show as a server mailbox, or is it under On My Mac?

Do any of your accounts with them work like you want on the Mac? If so, compare the difference between the accounts.

I don't know anything about your provider. Some like gmail have settings at the website that can change certain behaviors like how deleted messages are treated.

Aug 17, 2017 5:40 AM in response to teafreestudio

Since it shows that Trash is saved on the server, then you have it set up as IMAP. Deleting on one device should delete on all devices.

If you delete the message and it creates another copy, then something else is going on. Where is the copy created? If it's in the inbox, then it's probably just not syncing and deleting from the server.

Is this behavior the same on the other devices?

How to sync mail on all devices.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.