Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand and iOS 9.3.5

Will Apple ever make the old version(s) of GarageBand available, again, for iPad Mini owners? I cannot re-install GarageBand, because the latest version requires iOS 10.3. It used to be that the App Store would offer to install a compatible (older) version, but now it refuses to do so.

I feel like Apple stole my GarageBand away from me 😢.

p.s. I'm not looking for suggestions like restoring from backup, etc., since that's not possible for me, or many others.

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2017 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 10:21 AM

Totally agree! I love apple products but we get the shaft when they decide there doing something better. I had this issue with my GarageBand and I can't restore it. So what they want me to buy a new iPad to get the 10.3? So frustrating! Not only is GarageBand an issue but other products. I love my GarageBand because of its smart instruments and now it's taken away. Ai can't restore it either. I did a restore and the app didn't come over. Frustrated

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2017 10:21 AM in response to judemiller

Totally agree! I love apple products but we get the shaft when they decide there doing something better. I had this issue with my GarageBand and I can't restore it. So what they want me to buy a new iPad to get the 10.3? So frustrating! Not only is GarageBand an issue but other products. I love my GarageBand because of its smart instruments and now it's taken away. Ai can't restore it either. I did a restore and the app didn't come over. Frustrated

Aug 30, 2017 6:58 PM in response to judemiller

You can obtain the apps in question free from the iTunes Store using a computer, then use the method in Redownload music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store - Apple Support to download a compatible version of the app to the device. This method has been temporarily unavailable for GarageBand and the iWorks apps for iOS but is working again now. I've just downloaded GarageBand and Pages to my old iPad 2 to check.

tt2

Oct 24, 2017 12:14 PM in response to HNHStech

You should be able to do it directly on the device now. There are also hints that if you have a previous purchase that has been removed from the store then it will show up in your purchase history even though others cannot see it to buy it.

If you cannot find any way to download GarageBand from the app store on the device see Managing apps with iTunes 12.7 or later and install iTunes 12.6.3, either temporarily or permanently as you see fit.

tt2

Oct 27, 2017 7:31 PM in response to peacefarmer

As given in the earlier link see Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for steps to revert to a pre-iTunes 12.7 library that will be compatible with 12.6.3. Or you can create a new empty library just for the purpose of adding GarageBand to your purchase history then reinstall 12.7 and reconnect to the original library. Once it has been added to your purchase history older versions may be installed on any device that cannot run the current one.

It isn't possible to install more than one version of iTunes on one instance of the operating system. I currently have a dual boot system with Sierra & High Sierra that have 12.6.3 and 12.7 installed respectively.

tt2

Oct 24, 2017 1:25 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for that! I'll keep the 12.6.3. version around because we'll need it for apps on the iPads at the school where I work. But only the latest version of GB seems to be available from the app store on the my iPad 2: when I try to download it, it just gives me a message that I need iOS 10.3 to install it, and no option to download an older version. It also doesn't show up in my "Purchases" list because I never downloaded it with this account.

Oct 24, 2017 4:21 PM in response to HNHStech

I switched accounts to test this some more. My earlier success might be down to family sharing. With a new test account I'm obviously seeing the same roadblock that you are. You'll have to get and download the app to your account in iTunes first. Once you've done that there should be no problem installing the last compatible version on the device.

tt2

Oct 27, 2017 1:18 PM in response to turingtest2

So I decided to download and install iTunes 12.6.3 and of course I can not open it because my previous iTunes Libary under 12.7 is not recognized. All my itunes music, etc is on a separate 2tb hard drive. So I thought I would place the dmg in the separate drive and try to open it there. No dicey. Is there any way to have both iTunes or at least have the itunes 12.6.3 recognize by previous library, or do I have to unplug my hard drive and open iTunes 12.6.3 as a fresh install and then reload all that again? All my playlists which are extensive divisions of different sound libraries, etc.

Any Ideas?

Oct 27, 2017 1:20 PM in response to peacefarmer

One other issue too...I never had garageband on my 32gb ipod touch 9.3.5 but maybe would like it now. So can I downlaod it? I do have a new 64gb ipod running the 10 point whatever that does have garageband. I would like to manage my apps for ipads and ipods the old way as I like to bring in different apps at different times. Why does Apple have to make things so difficult?

Dec 27, 2017 5:42 PM in response to turingtest2

I just deleted the Pages and Garagebamd recently and figured I'd download them again onto my device. This step to your pc makes it a hassle as it doesn't back them up as I did try to transfer purchases apps included and it was not successful. So downloading it to my computer and ugh .... Apple again causes hassle and my new iPad isn't here yet so idk maybe they wanna keep it if they won't let me use my old one still. Ggeeeezzzz

GarageBand and iOS 9.3.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.