You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Skype use for Mac 10.6.8.?

Hi, microsoft has deactivated Skype for older Mac operating systems like 10.6.8. this July 2017!! Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade, I need the older operating system for some applications. How can I use Skype again with 10.6.8? I have seen the post to change the Info.plist in Skype contents with 7.36 instead of 6.15, but with my Skype version this does not work: I can't change any listing because it says "just read - not licensed"???

Thanks for any help

MacBook Pro (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 1:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2017 2:55 PM

One potential option would be the following:

1. Upgrade your Mac to a later operating system that supports Skype.
  2. Install a Virtual Machine host, like Parallels for Mac and create a VM of OS X 10.6.8 so you can still run your older applications that require it.
9 replies

Aug 22, 2017 6:28 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, it has worked now with another Skype 6.15 version: 6.15.0.335 instead of 6.15.0.334!!!

However, I have to add a mobile phone number to all my Skype contacts now to call them!?

There are just a few contacts, where it says "video call". These I can reach via camera and phone by just clicking on them.

Does this mean, the others also have older Skype versions and should upgrade or use your tricks to change their version?

Thanks again so much for your kind advice.

Sep 22, 2017 8:36 AM in response to MariaLya

Hi Maria Lya,

thanks for your reply. I knew that solution already and applied it. Skype works now again, however, the video camera only works with some contacts, with the others you have to put in a cell phone number and you can only call them - no camera. Do you have a solution for that as well?

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Ingrid

Skype use for Mac 10.6.8.?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.