Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer photos from iPod Classic to Macbook Pro

Hi all,

If anyone can help, I'd be eternally grateful!

My iPod Classic is the only place where certain photos of mine are stored and which I'd like to keep (my last Macbook Pro crashed before I'd backed them up - lesson learnt).

I've tried the following:

- Using Disc Mode to access the iPod like a hard drive (I can only see and transfer the ithmn files when I do this, rather than the JPG files or whatever they should be)

- Connecting the iPod directly to Photos on my Mac (which it doesn't recognise)

I have connected the iPod to iTunes, but it doesn't show any photos, plus I don't want to sync it with iTunes yet as I'm in the process of re-building my library on this Mac (I lost my music as well when my last one crashed!).

I'm aware I could use third party software for a transfer, but wanted to ask anyone first if they've found ways to save their photos without having to spend money to do it! (I have used a couple of free trials, but these understandably haven't been enough for what is a fairly large amount of photos).

I'm using a Macbook Pro mid-2010 with OS X El Captain version 10.11.5 and iTunes latest version 12.6.2. My iPod Classic is 120GB memory and has plenty of space remaining.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Aug 23, 2017 1:27 AM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2017 2:22 PM in response to katfromsoton

If you can only see the ithmn files then that's all you've got. You would have had to tick a box to include the original images and they would be in a set of clearly visible folder in disk mode. There are some third party tools that can extract low resolution images from the ithmns but I've no personal recommendation for you.

See Recover media from an iPod for tips on recovering other media.

tt2

Aug 29, 2017 7:56 AM in response to katfromsoton

See https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1195/en_US/iPod_classic_160GB_User _Guide.pdf#page=37.

The music folders would normally be hidden. If you "Include full-resolution photos" then they will be in an unhidden folder at the root of the drive.

It is some time since I used it for this purpose, but if I recall correctly TouchCopy used to be able to recover the .ithmn images.

tt2

Aug 29, 2017 7:08 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks, tt2. Where would I have had to tick a box - somewhere in iTunes? (Just out of interest).

I've also discovered a slight change in disc mode which seems to have happened recently. I transferred the music on my iPod before I tried transferring my photos, and did this via disc mode. Now, when I've gone back to get the aforementioned photos in disc mode, the music folders also seem to have disappeared. I copied and pasted all music to a folder on my new Mac, but didn't delete the original files on my iPod, so I'm not sure why they've disappeared.

D'you think there could be a chance that I've somehow changed the settings between iPod / disc mode and my Mac, and that my photo files are actually 'hiding' somewhere alone with my music files?

Thanks again in advance!

Transfer photos from iPod Classic to Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.