Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice to text not working

iPhone 6 Plus voice to text not working

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 1, 2017 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2017 3:48 PM

The keyboard is English and it hasn't changed...I've checked my microphone, I've checked the language and it hasn't changed....and I've also done the microphone test...and it works fine. I simply can't speak into my iPhone any longer to send a text...I'm having to type everything. Anybody have this problem?

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2017 3:48 PM in response to Rudegar

The keyboard is English and it hasn't changed...I've checked my microphone, I've checked the language and it hasn't changed....and I've also done the microphone test...and it works fine. I simply can't speak into my iPhone any longer to send a text...I'm having to type everything. Anybody have this problem?

Sep 1, 2017 3:32 PM in response to Greywolf55

What exactly does "voice to text" mean?

• For iMessage, which are messages sent to/from other Apple devices:
    • Voice attachments can be sent by clicking on the microphone in the message's text area.
    • There is also a different microphone in the keyboard area, which can be used for dictation.
  • For SMS text messages, sent to/from other cellular telephones:
    • Voice attachments cannot be created.
    • The dictation microphone is available as explained above.

Jan 9, 2018 5:15 PM in response to Greywolf55

Apple must make a patch to correct this issue with Siri & dictation not working. The Apple ISO 11.2.2 has created selections such as this to be non-functional. I have an IPhone 6 Plus with the same problems with Siri & Dictation. This is crazy for Apple once again releasing ISO that need to be fixed..... so the Apple team should immediately send a download fix ASAP.

All the best, GaryAC

Jan 27, 2018 4:32 AM in response to Greywolf55

I have a somewhat similar complaint about Siri and taking dictation: it’s awful. Not only does it totally misunderstand my speech (and other apps do not) when I finally get a message correct and click ”send”, it changes the correct text into gibberish and frequently adds profanities!

Interestingly enough, as I am speaking this text it’s coming out the way I intended, so there must be more than one interpreter machine in the iPhone. I cannot get in touch with Apple to talk about this issue. When I try to contact them I am confronted with a series of prefab topics, rpather than the ability to write free text. None of the topics have anything to do with this problem!

Jan 9, 2018 5:43 PM in response to GaryAC

GaryAC wrote:

Apple must make a patch to correct this issue with Siri & dictation not working. The Apple ISO 11.2.2 has created selections such as this to be non-functional. I have an IPhone 6 Plus with the same problems with Siri & Dictation. This is crazy for Apple once again releasing ISO that need to be fixed..... so the Apple team should immediately send a download fix ASAP.

All the best, GaryAC

If you believe that you have identified a software issue and that Apple must or should immediately do something about it, then I suggest that you let Apple know by submitting feedback here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

Voice to text not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.