Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No more Apps in iTunes?

I've just discovered that I am no longer able to manage apps in iTunes as of v12.7. This means that if i have to restore I must redownload all my apps again. If I buy a new phone I have to redownload all my apps again. I have 20GB of apps. I'm on a 1.5Mbps DSL connection. Downloading 20GB of apps is going to take a long time-28 hours, best case and my internet is NEVER best case. So it could take a couple DAYS to restore my apps tying up all my bandwidth (if you can call it that) the whole time. Going to McDonald's for free WiFi isn't much of a help since they don't have very fast internet either and I doubt they will let me hang out for hours and hours and hours.

In addition to that issue, I will now have to download apps four times, once on each iDevice I own instead of being able to download once into iTunes and then sync on each device.

This was a stupid and thoughtless decision by Apple and ignores the fact that most of us don't have high speed internet. I have a couple apps that are over a gigabyte and Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint are 400+MB EACH.

This wouldn't be so bad if the apps were at least backed up to my hard drive during a backup. That would solve the restore problem though it wouldn't help the setting up a new device problem.

Please, Apple, put App management back into iTunes or at the very least make it so that the apps are part of the backup since the most likely usage would be to restore an existing device or transfer to a new device.

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 9:02 AM

21 replies

Sep 14, 2017 10:22 AM in response to AndrewMcDonald

Me too done on the feedback. Thanks, Neil, for the link!

I'm glad I heard about the no-apps-in-12.7 before I fell for the "upgrade". I'll stick with 12.6 & hope they don't somehow destroy the installation.

With my older-eyes, I much prefer to do searching & researching on my nice bright 25" screen (& good keyboard, and notebook beside me) rather than on any device -- even the Giant iPad isn't as good.

I don't mind updating apps on each device -- that's just a couple of touches & let it do its thing. But aside from IAP I have rarely actually purchased an app from a device -- I go look it up further, read reviews, etc. via iTunes on my nice big screen. If forced to do it all on a device, I strongly suspect I'll be discouraged from any casual shopping.

But having to d/l each app to a new (or newly restored) device sounds like a horrifying prospect and an appalling waste of time and bandwidth.

What, if anything, were they thinking???

Sep 14, 2017 12:43 PM in response to fogey22

"With my older-eyes, I much prefer to do searching & researching on my nice bright 25" screen (& good keyboard, and notebook beside me) rather than on any device -- even the Giant iPad isn't as good."

>>>I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I pulled the trigger and now have 12.7.0 and hate it. I'm hoping I can revert back to 12.6.2, however my first attempts have be feudal.

My eyesight has issues which the architect of 12.7 hasn't lived through! Yes a nice 24"monitor, with kb & mouse saves me much time and frustration. You would think that someone did some level of usability testing. I wonder if there are ADA issues in play here??

"What, if anything, were they thinking???"

>>>>>sadly they weren't thinking!!!!!

Sep 14, 2017 3:41 PM in response to AndrewMcDonald

Well Apple has just ensured that I will not update any apps nor search for new apps to install. I have always been careful about installing updates, and read reviews on the now-nonexistent AppStore to make sure there were no significant issues (either privacy changes or tech glitches). Without this ability, or a suitable parallel approach, there is little to no incentive to update any app. Thanks for nothing Tim.

Sep 14, 2017 4:33 PM in response to twothepoint

>>>"My eyesight has issues which the architect of 12.7 hasn't lived through! Yes a nice 24"monitor, with kb & mouse saves me much time and frustration. You would think that someone did some level of usability testing."

I'm not sure Apple cares, or even wants to care about the older-generation much. It doesn't go with their obvious promo appeal to the cool millennials. They're not the only company that seems to feel that way -- however happy they are to take our money they otherwise ignore us.

Middle-age & up eyes don't match that!

Wrong millennium!

Sep 14, 2017 9:11 PM in response to AndrewMcDonald

Totally agree. This is silly because now I can only update my apps using my wireless service. With the size of app files getting bigger, this makes me question the "good sense" of whoever decided to remove the Appstore from iTunes. Not a happy camper at all!!😠

But guess what, I downgraded from iTunes 12.7 and re-installed 12.6. [[12.7]] is not acceptable to me!!

Sep 15, 2017 4:09 AM in response to HeliosBean

Simple Question for Apple, if I am foolish enough to upgrade to an iPhone 8, how long will it take to restore my 377 apps, on a slow broadband for example 5Mbit /second. What about people with capped broadband data limits. Dont tell me to use public WiFi as here in UK they are pretty slow and I can't hang out in a public WiFi area for the many hours it will take to instal. Simply this was not thought out, or it was designed by Apple developers who work and test in WiFi areas with GB speeds.

Sep 25, 2017 9:50 PM in response to AndrewMcDonald

Seriously!!

If you are trying to screw the people who sell apps through the app store, I can't think of a better way to do it, because you have just provided huge disincentive for me to buy apps.

I have a microwave broadband connection and downloading is s....l....o....w. I also like to resync with different apps depending. Taking apps away in iTunes just made my life so much harder. Furthermore, you just changed the whole way my not-techy wife manages her apps, and she is confused and ticked off something fierce.

It feels like someone has added nanny locks to the doors. Come on, Apple, adults can manage content themselves.

No more Apps in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.