Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Sierra, can't open .dmg

I've seen this question asked many times but i'm not seeing an answer that makes sense. I've just upgraded to Sierra, and I need to open a Webex DMG for work, yet I can't open it. I don't even get any "open anyway" or additional prompts on the security tab...nothing, nada. I just right click, select "open" and nothing at all happens.

Am I to be locked out of running things on my own computer now? How can I uninstall Sierra if this is the way it's gonna be...

Help?

Watch Sport 42mm

Posted on Sep 14, 2017 10:47 AM

30 replies

Sep 14, 2017 10:52 AM in response to MacJoP

if you want to downgrade your OS to accommodate WebEx you will need to erase the current drive entirely or install a previous OS X variant to another boot drive or partition.

See this article, behavior of the gatekeeper has changed slightly in Sierra from that of previous OS X variants.

OS X: About Gatekeeper - Apple Support

In OS 10.12 now prevents "Anywhere" to appear unless it is "triggered" directly after an attempted install from software with an unknown or no developer license. "Anywhere" will appear only when the user tries to launch software with from an unknown developer the first time:

User uploaded file

Gatekeeper OS X 10.11

User uploaded file

Gatekeeper OS X 10.12

Functionality to allow software from "Anywhere" is no longer a selectable change for the system.

Dec 21, 2017 8:41 PM in response to MacJoP

See these articles If you can’t download an item from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Download items from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Right click on .dmg file and click on open , or double click .dmg file and if this is an app it should be dragged and dropped in applications , as .dmg files always occupy hard disk space and should be deleted when the task is completed by restarting the machine and empty the trash .

Sep 14, 2017 3:06 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thanks much. I understand that the 'anywhere' option isn't available any more, but this isn't just Webex I care about, I'm trying to understand if there *is* a way (any way) to add certain sources of .dmg files as 'trusted'. If not, then am I right in assuming that I will never be able to install anything that isn't "Apple sanctioned"? They don't trust me to install stuff now?? I think this is a bit too 'big brother-ish'... did I miss something?

Sep 30, 2017 7:26 PM in response to qrmovie

I know I would be totally lost on Windows so I can feel your pain.

Check out this site that has free videos on using the Mac. They are short so it's easy to find the time for a video or two.

https://macmost.com/video-listMacMost Video Archive By Category – MacMost

The following covers some basics:

Menu Bar Basics and Tricks – MacMost

https://macmost.com/menu-bar-basics-and-tricks.html

Customize the Toolbar In the Finder and Apps – MacMost

https://macmost.com/customize-the-toolbar-in-the-finder-and-apps.html

A Beginner’s Guide To the Mac Dock – MacMost

https://macmost.com/a-beginners-guide-to-the-mac-dock.html

Mar 14, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Eric Root

I am having the same problem. I have tried control-click --> open multiple times. It is for RosettaStone.dmg, so a vendor I trust. syspolicyd keeps starting, according to the Activity Monitor, and must be turning down the request. I'm on High Sierra 10.13.3 and there is no option for download from anywhere on the Security and Privacy settings.

I'd really like to install this app!

Mar 14, 2018 12:19 PM in response to Old Toad

Found a better answer. I was trying to open the dmg files in the Downloads folder, using the control-click option....

What I didn't realize was it was putting a copy of the dmg file on my desktop. When I double clicked on them, it opened the Security & Privacy settings and gave me the option to "install anyway". Everything worked fine after that.

Upgrade to Sierra, can't open .dmg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.