Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in boot loop, help!

Yesterday I changed the screen and battery on an iPhone 7. When I finished and restarted the phone it would not boot up. It just cycles between a black screen and the apple logo. I have tried everything that I can think of to get it up and running but nothing has worked. This includes: force restart, update in recovery mode, restore in recovery mode, restore in DFU mode, leaving it on charge several hours. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 7:54 AM

iPhone 7 is too young to need a battery change --what made you change the battery?

Apple logo -black screen sounds like either the battery is not connected well, or its a bad battery, software corruption, or the Tristar chip was the underlying fault all along.

I would eliminate variables--attempt to restore with native battery and no screen attached. See if it passes restore.

Give us some more details about what your thinking was here so we can help you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2017 7:54 AM in response to kornerkreek

iPhone 7 is too young to need a battery change --what made you change the battery?

Apple logo -black screen sounds like either the battery is not connected well, or its a bad battery, software corruption, or the Tristar chip was the underlying fault all along.

I would eliminate variables--attempt to restore with native battery and no screen attached. See if it passes restore.

Give us some more details about what your thinking was here so we can help you.

Sep 17, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

To answer your question, the reason I was changing the battery is because the one in the phone would not hold a charge and I was being paid to change it along with the shattered screen. The fact he did not have insurance on the phone and the closest Apple Store is a 3 1/2 hour drive probably had something to do with him bringing it to me. Granted I'm just an old dumb redneck from a little country town in south Alabama but I get quite a bit of buisness.

Just in case you are interested, the Boot Loop issue has been figured out. A friend of mine in NYC recently encountered the same problem after replacing a iPhone 7 screen and told me it is caused by a faulty front facing camera. Sure enough, after disconnecting the camera the phone booted up without any issues. I happened to have a spare camera on hand so everything worked out and I got paid.

Sep 18, 2017 3:28 AM in response to kornerkreek

Glad you got it figured out--eliminating variables is always a good troubleshooting step. I would watch that phone though and make sure that your battery replacement solved his underlying concern--a 7 really is too young to need a new battery and the native battery is generally superior to aftermarket batteries. If he continues to have poor battery performance consider software drain or bad Tristar is he uses a non-MFI certified charger, especially in a car....or tractor!

Stuck in boot loop, help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.