Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac temperature climbing too fast.

Hello, I'm extremely worried because the temperature on my iMac has been increasing too fast and to degrees I had not seen it climb before, it usually is at 89ºF to 92.5ishºF

But recently it has been climbing up to 95º when only watching a video in one tab and having Facebook (idle) in another. I mostly use it for that recently, although I've been playing some vanilla Minecraft and some browser-based games.

I'm using Macs Fan Control and that's what tells me the temperature (although I also have smcFanControl installed, but it doesn't run on startup, I couldn't figure out how to use that one well enough.)

I'm using a 21.5-inch, Mid 2011 with OS X Yosemite.

There is a little bit of background on this thread if that helps.

Editing to add:

• I thought perhaps one of the fans had stopped working, but the fan control program shows all three of them are.
  • Before it was only the top left corner (facing the screen) that would feel hot, it doesn't feel particularly hot lately but behind the apple and on the other side of the back feels a bit warm.)

Thank you.

Message was edited by: rasamalai

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 10:10 AM

I'm using that program because the local Authorized Service Provider didn't plug the fans to the HD when I had to replace it back in May.

That changes things considerably. The iMac's thermal sensors are absolutely, positively required for proper operation. I cannot emphasize enough just how bad an idea it is to bypass them. There is no software substitute for operable hardware.

Fix your Mac the right way. Any Apple Authorized Service Provider would know how to do that. To find one, start here: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple. Scroll to the bottom and click the blue Get hardware help button.

Good luck.

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2017 10:10 AM in response to rasamalai

I'm using that program because the local Authorized Service Provider didn't plug the fans to the HD when I had to replace it back in May.

That changes things considerably. The iMac's thermal sensors are absolutely, positively required for proper operation. I cannot emphasize enough just how bad an idea it is to bypass them. There is no software substitute for operable hardware.

Fix your Mac the right way. Any Apple Authorized Service Provider would know how to do that. To find one, start here: Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple. Scroll to the bottom and click the blue Get hardware help button.

Good luck.

Sep 19, 2017 5:17 PM in response to rasamalai

It turns out the authorized service provider didn't log my service with Apple and they have no record of it.

How convenient. If the vendor was in fact an Apple Authorized Service Provider, you have reason to file a formal complaint with Apple. Repairs, whether in or out of warranty, must be documented.

I'm worried that the Ram I bought from them might also not be original or that they might have stolen parts out from my iMac.

That has been known to occur. I would be surprised if they called you back.

Until that Mac is properly repaired, you should endeavor to use it as little as possible. If you use it at all, do make sure that you have a backup. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support.

Nov 11, 2017 10:08 PM in response to rasamalai

The temperature you mentioned is 95 Fahrenheit is quite normal , if Kelvin formula is used C/100 = F -32 /180 and if 95 Fahrenheit is substituted in the equation Temperature in centigrade results 35 that is less than 70 .

In activity monitor select the CPU tab and select all process in the pop up menu .

Select the % CPU column , look for any application that has taken over the CPU , if it is crossing 70 % of CPU than the process is putting load on the system , you may quit that application to stop it .

You can run SMC How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Avoid using unidentified apps in the system as Macs are not compatible .

See this article for activity monitor Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 13, 2017 4:28 PM in response to rasamalai

That's assuming they have one in hand.

Yes. I would not even go there until you confirm a replacement hard disk drive and whatever other parts they need are on hand.

Do I have to delete things from this one?

No, unless you are concerned about the security of the information it contains. If you use FileVault, that is sufficient to keep anyone out of your Mac's hard disk. You don't even have to erase it. It's completely useless without the FileVault password: Use FileVault to encrypt the startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support.

On the other hand if you don't use FileVault, erasing the disk is kind of pointless, because its contents could be retrieved by someone willing to invest the time and effort required.

Sep 19, 2017 9:54 AM in response to rasamalai

That model iMac is one of the coolest-running models Apple ever built, and 95°F is no reason for concern. It's barely even warm.

Attempting to circumvent the iMac's cooling system is ill-advised for a number of reasons. If you are using non-Apple software to do that, uninstall those products according to their respective instructions.

Over time, there may be an accumulation of dust within the iMac's enclosure that should only be removed by an authorized Apple repair facility. Arbitrarily increasing exhaust fan speeds will only accelerate the need to do that, or decrease the affected hardware's lifespan, or both.

Sep 19, 2017 10:01 AM in response to John Galt

I'm using that program because the local Authorized Service Provider didn't plug the fans to the HD when I had to replace it back in May. That's why I linked the other thread to my question.
It was before May, I don't remember the exact date, but it got serviced then, after that the fans were running at full speed all the time.
Since I installed the program months ago, until now, I had never seen it get this hot even when using much heavier programs or using it for much longer time periods. I don't know which temperatures are safe. There was no way to give feedback to Apple about their new ASP.

Sep 19, 2017 10:19 AM in response to John Galt

I really hope you're right, I've been having trouble contacting them online. It's extremely difficult for me to take it to service and it's the only "machine" we have in the house :s (no T.V. Radio, or whatever else people use, and no other way to get online either) I need it to shop for groceries which get delivered, to pay (all) my bills online, etc.

Sep 19, 2017 4:03 PM in response to John Galt

It turns out the authorized service provider didn't log my service with Apple and they have no record of it.

Their first reply is that since the service was done in a "private" way I should take my complaints directly to them!
I can't believe it. They made me wait for about 4 days or more for my HD "to be delivered" and it turns out they had it at their workshop all along, I don't even know if it's compatible (most likely not an original replacement, which is what I paid for) I'm worried that the Ram I bought from them might also not be original or that they might have stolen parts out from my iMac.
I'm waiting for a call from them within the next 48 hours.
In the meantime, we just had a horrible earthquake that caused lots of damage and I'm terrified and a nervous wreck.

Sep 19, 2017 5:52 PM in response to John Galt

But it's the only thing I have to get online and to stay in touch with my daughter and everyone else.

I don't have an external HD to make a backup. As long as it works everything's well. I store everything I can online.
I just need it to work.

I did make a formal complaint over chat, or so they told me. I expect them to fix what I took it to be fixed for and to return it with all its original parts. Is there anything else I can do?

Sep 20, 2017 6:26 AM in response to John Galt

I am aware and very scared of aftershocks.
I've been turning it off until it cools down when it reaches 93º F (Ambient) To be honest it doesn't feel that hot but there are other places that feel warm that didn't use to feel warm before and it had never gotten this hot before.
Could this be caused by a virus? I sort of noticed last night that it started "overheating" around the time that my kid installed Roblox (just a few days ago.)

Sep 20, 2017 10:45 AM in response to John Galt

Well, they called today, someone who refused to give me his full name and just went by "Juan." He had a SouthAmerican accent and kept saying that he couldn't understand what I needed and how I knew whatever was happening, and that I should take my iMac back to the same people that did this to it!
He said they "have stock" and that I can't assure they used unoriginal hardware or didn't connect the fans to the temperature sensor in the HD and kept speaking at the same time as me even after I told him I couldn't hear what he was saying if he kept speaking while I was replying!
I'm so upset.
What do I need to do to make them own their mistake? And how is it possible that they keep this ASP Authorized when they aren't registering their work with them and they have no way to keep track what has been done or not?

iMac temperature climbing too fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.