Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay not working after ios 11 update

Trying to play music from iPhone 7 with iOS 11 to my Sony SRS-X88 AirPlay speaker. Sometimes iPhone connects to AirPlay but there is no sound and sometimes it does not connect at all.

Does anyone experience the same problem after update to iOS 11?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 11:26 AM

I have noticed that since I loaded ios11 AirPlay is just awful. Sometimes it works with Apple TV some times it doesn’t. If there is an ad prior to a YouTube video it almost always gets an error after the ad. I then must disconnect and reconnect airplay to play the video. I seldom had problems with AirPlay prior to iOS 11.

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2017 11:26 AM in response to romanaleksandrov

I have noticed that since I loaded ios11 AirPlay is just awful. Sometimes it works with Apple TV some times it doesn’t. If there is an ad prior to a YouTube video it almost always gets an error after the ad. I then must disconnect and reconnect airplay to play the video. I seldom had problems with AirPlay prior to iOS 11.

Oct 1, 2017 11:10 AM in response to RubiconRon

I am having the same exact issues. Airplay Screen Mirroring on iOS 11 works flawlessly to the Apple TV. As soon as you go full screen, the airplay logo pops up on the iPad and disappears immediately. The Apple TV screen shows a web link in the top right corner and does not play video or sound. However, the iPad will show the streaming video is still playing.

It worked flawlessly before the update. Soooo frustrating! Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 26, 2017 2:33 AM in response to romanaleksandrov

I have the same issue with other "Airplay" devices that are not from Apple.

Apple of late seem to have a total disregard for their customers, releasing buggy software with so many things broken/missing or just not backward compatible.

Getting really hard to stay with Apple after being a loyal customer for over 25 years. this issue is not acceptable for me as I literarily just purchased a AIRPLAY projector for my bedroom a few months ago that I cannot use now.

I will probably downgrade, and due to not being able to downgrade my 1st gen Apple watch I will stop using it and look into another brand for my fitness tracking needs. as not prepared to stop being able to use a brand new projector or have run cables all around my bedroom. just because Apple thinks it is acceptable to break compatibility and not make their updates backward compatible.

Oct 4, 2017 7:11 PM in response to Z4N3

Since upgrading to iOS 11, my Marantz M-CR510 receiver can no longer connect to Airplay. Marantz has not changed anything; nor has Apple informed them of a need for a firmware upgrade, to my knowledge. Did Apple provide them with a beta release of iOS 11? Who knows. Every time I have called Apple about one of their bugs, their support engineers aver that it is the “first time” they have heard of the problem. Baloney.

I am very tired of performing uncompensated QA for Apple. Z4N3 is right; Apple cares very little for their customers, and not a whit for their partners. In that context, I am ignoring HomeKit for my home automation needs because I fully expect Apple to shaft any vendors who jump on board by distributing buggy software and ignoring the need for backward compatibility.

Please wake up, Apple!

Oct 7, 2017 10:46 AM in response to romanaleksandrov

I too still have this same problem. iPhone 7 running IOS 11.0.2

Ever since ios 11 I have to reboot my phone every single time in order to use airplay. It will connect but there will be no sound. The appletv is off when I connect but always turns on automatically when you activate airplay from your iPhone. It still turns on, just no sound until the phone is rebooted. This is the same for both Pandora and SiriusXM apps. I hope a true fix is released soon.

Oct 7, 2017 12:33 PM in response to bryce504

The Marantz people suggested that I do a hard reset on my router. I actually have three to cover my house and backyard: A relatively new Time Capule, an older Airport Extreme and a still older Airport Express.

The thing is, I am hesitant to do that because it wipes out all your network settings, and I don’t know how to restore them.

In my case also, I can do audio to my Apple TVs through Airplay, but not video. But audio won’t work on the Marantz.

If we’re lucky and enough people scream loudly enough, we probably will get a fix soon.

Apple is approaching $1 trillion in market cap, even as the reliability of their software keeps hitting new lows.

Amazing, isn’t it?

Oct 9, 2017 6:28 AM in response to romanaleksandrov

Also have an issue with connecting iPhone 6 (iOS11) to Pioneer AVR SC-2023 through AirPlay. Sometimes it connects for few seconds, but there is no sound. After several restarting of iPhone I managed to connect it with Pioneer for couple of minutes, but then connection failed and then its not possible to reconnect it again. Hope Apple will pay attention to all "screaming" notices and will fix it soon.

Oct 9, 2017 8:50 PM in response to Yammersmith

Hxdude,

Correction: I found “Airplay without Mirroring”, but Diana.McCall seemed to only answer a question of how to redirect Airplay in iOS 11. I, and I venture that others on this thread, know how to do that. The problem is that once the output device is selected for Airplay (confirmed by a checkmark to the right of the device name in the Airplay drop down list, there is not output from the selected device. In my case, I am trying to send audio to an Airplay-enabled Marantz receiver. Worked before iOS 11; doesn’t work after the upgrade to iOS 11.

Diana.McCall does not address this.

Oct 10, 2017 5:12 AM in response to dki1

Hi

I have exactly the same Problem with my Pioneer SC-2023.

After the IOS Update neither my iPhone 5S nor my new iPad Pro are able to connect to the AVR. iOS is finding the Pioneer, streaming seems to start but nothing happens. Pioneer shows „connecting“, music is playing (according to iOS) and the receiver remains silent. I can switch back to iPhone or iPad and the music continues.

I am very disappointed since I primarily bought the iPad Pro to control my big music collection (sounds odd but is true).

So Apple: Do something!!!

Oct 10, 2017 4:20 PM in response to romanaleksandrov

Same. I’ve been experiencing airplay issues, too, with Apple TV after ios11. Prior to upgrade to ios11, airplay worked fine, but now screen on tv is frozen with audio working on tv and screen working on iPad it’s airplaying from. Even with videos already downloaded on iPad from Netflix, and app, iPad, Apple TV, all running on current versions. Any fix known?

Oct 14, 2017 9:11 AM in response to Wagie

I called in to Apple Support (on 10/12) and talked to a second level support engineer. She told me she had not heard of this problem, which surprised me given the number of reports just on this board.

Her suggestion was to upgrade to iOS 11.03, which had just come out. Unfortunately, doing that introduced yet another problem: Once I went to 11.03 on my iPad Pro, the only Airplay device that showed up on my Airplay list was my 3rd-generation Apple TV. None of my other Airplay devices — my three other Apple TVs and the Marantz receiver that had stopped working with Airplay after my initial iOS 11 upgrade — were no longer listed.

So it appears that 11.03 is not a solution.

Oct 15, 2017 1:18 PM in response to romanaleksandrov

My airplay is not working from safari when I am watching a movie, it only play audio b no video, I try airplay from Netflix app it works, this iOS 11.0.3 update has been nothing but nightmares. Any one know how to fix this or is Apple already aware of thi issues? And yes my iPad Air and my Apple TV is on the same network, and yes both of my Apple TV are updated to the current tv iOS. My wifes iPad mini 2 is still on the latest iOS 10 with no issues at all so I can say the newest 11.0.3 is no good and not a fix.

AirPlay not working after ios 11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.