Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text messages are not in order and I am not getting notified of new text messages

Just updated to iOs 11 last night. This morning my settings are all undone. The one that has me stumped is that my text messages are totally out of order. Any of my texts for a conversation are all lumped together at the bottom with all the replies above. It is confusing to read! I am also not getting alerted that I have new texts. Any suggestions?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2017 4:09 PM

I encountered this problem after updating to iOS 11.2 on an iPhone 6. Only with iMessage. What seems to have worked thus far: turn off iMessage. Turn on airplane mode. Power off. Wait a few minutes. Power back on. Turn airplane mode off. Send a few messages as plain text messages. Verify those are working correctly. Turn iMessage back on. Again, send messages to see if it is working properly again. So far so good for me.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2017 4:09 PM in response to HartN

I encountered this problem after updating to iOS 11.2 on an iPhone 6. Only with iMessage. What seems to have worked thus far: turn off iMessage. Turn on airplane mode. Power off. Wait a few minutes. Power back on. Turn airplane mode off. Send a few messages as plain text messages. Verify those are working correctly. Turn iMessage back on. Again, send messages to see if it is working properly again. So far so good for me.

Dec 9, 2017 12:54 PM in response to HartN

Hey guys!!! I had the same issue and have now fixed it. I hope it works for you too. My phone date and time was always set to manual, and I had my phone set 10 minutes ahead of actual time. I reluctantly have set it back to automatic and this is not showing texts in correct order. It won’t re-order any old text messages but everything since I’ve made the change is now in order. Let me know if this is successful for you :)

Dec 15, 2017 12:01 PM in response to CT1404

Same problem here, and the time setting has not fixed it. The alerts don’t work either. When I first noticed this I thought maybe my cell data was slow, and since I rarely have long-term conversations on text it wasn’t always noticeable; but, as I texted back and forth today with someone as an experiment for this specific issue, I watched as replies popped up above my older texts. This is a bug. Apple fix this, please.

Dec 29, 2017 10:57 PM in response to HartN

I’m having the same issue. My date and time setting has always been automatic. I’ve tried all the suggestions I’ve read from these forums and nothing works. It gets really hard to follow a conversation when all responses are listed before the questions. Apple please figure this out and fix this text message glitch.

RE: text message conversations are all out of order. iOS 11.2.1 iPhone 6 SE

Jan 6, 2018 8:28 PM in response to CT1404

This worked for me. Thank you! It was my region that was not set correctly. I had it set for the U.S. instead of Canada. I was fixated on the time as others had stated that was the problem and it needed to be set to automatic, which mine was. I finally checked my region...and ta da =fixed!! Thanks again! Hope this helps others. Check time AND region. 😉

Jan 10, 2018 1:29 AM in response to HartN

I had the same problem with the update for iOS 11.2. It turns out that once the downloading starts, you have to stay in the “Software Update” section for your phone to finish downloading and installing the update.

***For example: it’s like the “YouTube” app or website. Once you leave the YouTube page or exit the app, the video & audio stops playing.***

The iOS update works the same way.

My iPhone didn’t notify me that the update wasn’t 100% downloaded. I assumed the iOS update would happen on its own, because in older versions of the iPhone, the update ran automatically once you pressed “install”.

So go to your “Setting App” > General > Software Update. And you’ll notice that the iOS downloading isn’t finished. So stay in the “Software Update” section

for it to finish because the update process stops once you leave.

Apr 11, 2018 11:17 PM in response to HartN

I can help you with the text messages not in order part of your question. luckily our new employee worked in the technical support dept for Apple. She told me next time the iOS pops up DO NOT updated via iPhone. Go to your computer and open iTunes, connect your phone with iTunes sync, backup, & update iOS. Once I did that, problem solved!

Text messages are not in order and I am not getting notified of new text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.