Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad thinks iOS 10.3.3 is up to date!!!! Really!!!!!

User uploaded file

iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 8:30 AM

Apple started releasing iOS 11 around 10a Pacific Time. I kept getting this same message until after that time, but was successful a bit later.

Which exact model is your iPad? Some earlier models are not supported for iOS 11.

28 replies

Oct 1, 2017 9:50 PM in response to Tmikemc

You have an iPad 4th generation with cellular service.

The iPad 4th generation is ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 11

With the introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps has ended.

Your iPad 4 is a 32 bit hardware device.

The new 64 bit coded iOS 11 ONLY supports newer 64 bit hardware iDevices and 64 bit software, now.

The iPad 4 is incompatible with this new iOS, now.

No need to panic or worry though.

Your iPad 4th gen will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates sometime after the Fall of 2017.

The 4th gen iPad has had over 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 4th gen iPad will receive will be its last!

Currently, your iPad 4th gen is STILL receiving app updates, but look for this to end soon.

Your iPad 4 will survive and stay a viable, functioning iPad for a couple of more years to come.

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of iOS 11, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to You!

Dec 19, 2017 12:33 AM in response to H27pinch

When you are ready, you can either sell your iPad 4 and get what you can for it OR Apple has a recycling program for their iDevices.

Apple’s iDevices are completely recyclable.

https://www.apple.com/recycling/

Apple may actually give YOU some small amount of money (or gift card ) for recycling their iDevices.

FYI,

My iPad 2 is going on its 2nd year without an iOS update. It's still getting daily app updates after over a year!

I'll still be using mine for, at least, another year.

I will still be able to recycle my iPad 2, also, when the times comes.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 9, 2017 3:24 AM in response to Duchess602

No.

That's still an iPad 4th generation model.

See the explanation above.

As I stated, you will have had 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates and iOS app updates!

You're lucky iPad 4th gen users got to get to iOS 10, at all!

So, welcome to the older iPad using community group!

You should expect to get another full year, perhaps two, from that iPad 4.

You should have NO issues with continuing to use your iPad 4th gen, if you choose to do so.

Good Luck to You!

Nov 23, 2017 7:53 AM in response to jamacoe

If, IF you have an iPad 4th gen, you ARE still receiving app updates.

Your AppleCare on an iPad 4th gen ran out years, ago.

However, if you decide to jailbreak, then if you need a repair, like a battery replacement, for example, you’ll be out of luck getting this from Apple.

Apple and Apple Stores will no longer service that iPad once it has been jailbroken.

You would have to seek out Apple authorised repair centers to do any repairs.

Nov 26, 2017 7:26 AM in response to MichelPM

Unfortunately that's there game,,,, what about the loyal people that that were into Apple from the bgining such as the 1st I phone, there feeding us to there wolves, it's not right!!!! Some people can't afford the new items, but there still trying to suck us in,,,,,, this is why people hate corporations, next sure they say 10.3.3 will work, but I bet he he time will come when they will say that security will be compromised with the older version , I just might be going back to the old flip phone.

Nov 26, 2017 8:09 AM in response to Shmors

Ya know?

Apple doesn’t have to care that past users don’t have money for their newer products!

No company really cares about past customer purchases!

Apple is NOT going to support its older hardware computers and devices for 10 years+ forever!

Not gunna happun!

Technology moves and improves at a very fast pace!

I have been using iPad 2 and 3 models on iOS 9.3.5 for over a year since iOS 10 was released!

They both are working fine and both get used everyday!

These will get used for another full year ( into 2018 ) and maybe into a second year (so that will be a total of 7-8 years, maybe) before I need to consider buying another iPad!

These are nearly 6 and 7 year old devices, currently!

Do you see me signing up into a technical support community forum and just posting here moaning and groaning about how Apple no longer is supplying iOS upgrades/updates to my aging iDevices any longer?

No.

If you have an iPad 4th gen, like I have already stated, you got 5 years of iOS upgrades/updates!

I had a iPad 3 that is ONLY six months older than an iPad 4 and Apple ended support for it at iOS 9.3.5!

If you have a iPad 4, you got lucky as Apple suported the 4th gen iPad for another full year under iOS 10!

Welcome to the older, 32-bit iDevice users’ group!

We iPad 2, 3 and 1st gen iPad Mini users have been expecting all of the iPad 4 users to finally join us!

AND, your iPad 4 IS STILL receiving regular app updates!

How do I know this?

Because my iPad 2 and 3 models are STILL CURRENTLY receiving app updates, as well.

Quit yer beechin’!

That 4th gen iPad will still continue to work as it always has!

You still have another full year, possibly two, to save up for a new iPad, if that is what you want to do.

I Wish You Good Luck!

Dec 7, 2017 7:49 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM, thank you for the information about 32-bit devices and support. I get why Apple would make this move. Your explanations are accurate. Your tone, on the other hand, is awful. To tell the poster, who just realized their expensive device is nearing end of support, that they were "lucky to have support for as long..." and then end with "good luck to you" is just rude. It's like the police officer telling you to "have a nice day" after giving a ticket. No one wants to hear that. Try just giving the facts and keeping that personal stuff to yourself.

Dec 7, 2017 10:22 PM in response to TM650

I’ll do and state whatever I see fit to post.

No one here can tell anyone else how to post.

My postings are within the Community Terms of Use Agreement (ToU) we all agree to when we sign up here.

If my post was of an offensive nature, it would have been removed by the ASC forum staff moderators.

Maybe you have misread and misrepresented my tone.

And “tone” when posting in text forms, such as any text based community forums like these, can and DOES get wildly misinterpreted.

Thank you for posting and Good Luck to You!

Dec 19, 2017 12:19 AM in response to MichelPM

And here we have the problem with the mounting levels of e waste. I have a machine which functions as my second and back up machine and now I may have another year of use before I am forced to discard it whether it operating mechanically or not. I'd be willing to pay an appropriate amount in order not to have to discard all this as waste!

Jan 19, 2018 1:49 AM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the in depth info! I've been wondering why my iPhone gets updates but my iPads do not. Does feel a little bit corny on Apple's part..5 years isn't that long but I understand how it goes. They want people to buy the new thing.

Any suggestions if the app updates aren't downloading? I keep getting an error message when I try to do so: "Unable to Download App"

Title of App: Could not be downloaded at this time

Any recommendations? Are apps less safe if they are not updated frequently? And what about the overall safety of the device without the system updates for the generations not covered?

Thank you.

Good luck to you 🙂

Jan 19, 2018 4:54 AM in response to Hadtoomuchtodreamlastnight

Older iDevice hardware cannot handle more recent iOS updates.

So, Apple puts restrictions on what its hardware and software can handle.

Just like any other technology/computing company.

Does NOT mean the devices are NOT still safe to use.

I am STILL using older IPad 1, 2 and 3 models on a regular basis.

My wife is STILL using her IPad 3 on iOS 9.3.5 and I, an IPad 2 on iOS 9.3.5.

IDevices running iOS 9.3.5 are STILL getting daily app updates, but no more OS updates.

Still perfectly fine to use these older devices.

There is little security risk.

The particular app that you are trying to download and install may no longer support the iOS version you are running and the developer of the app has decided NOT to leave an older, earlier compatible version on Apple App Servers.

There is nothing wrong with using older versions of apps if they are all still working and functioning.

Good Luck!

My iPad thinks iOS 10.3.3 is up to date!!!! Really!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.