Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app crashes with iOS 11 on iPad 10.5" 256gb 2017

Just bought 2 brand new 10.5" iPad Pro 256gb. One was updated to iOS 11 and the other is at 10.3.2. The Apple Notes app is crashing on the iPad with iOS 11 when either the Apple Pencil or a generic stylus is used to write. Using the keyboard in Notes works fine - just drawing is affected. Other note-taking apps such as Noteshelf work properly. The problem does not occur on the other (identical) iPad running iOS 10.3.2 - both the Apple Pencil and the generic stylus work properly without crashing.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 1:32 PM

Hello owlwhooman,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Notes crashing when a stylus or the Apple Pencil is used. Here are some troubleshooting steps I'd like to recommend.

First, let's force quit Notes: Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then, restart your iPad: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once it comes back up, open Notes and test if the issue remains. If it does, please try the rest of the troubleshooting provided in this help article, including checking for updates (it may be some necessary security or stylus update causing this), and deleting the Notes app, restarting the iPad, and reinstalling Notes. Test.

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open
Thanks and have a great day.

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2017 1:32 PM in response to owlwhooman

Hello owlwhooman,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Notes crashing when a stylus or the Apple Pencil is used. Here are some troubleshooting steps I'd like to recommend.

First, let's force quit Notes: Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then, restart your iPad: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once it comes back up, open Notes and test if the issue remains. If it does, please try the rest of the troubleshooting provided in this help article, including checking for updates (it may be some necessary security or stylus update causing this), and deleting the Notes app, restarting the iPad, and reinstalling Notes. Test.

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open
Thanks and have a great day.

Oct 5, 2017 1:01 PM in response to owlwhooman

I have this too (pro 12.9, iOS 11.0.1). Sometimes when writing with the pencil, the screen freezes for about 10 seconds. Then screen catches up with everything I wrote in that period. This evening, it crashed to black screen. Support suggested restore, made no difference. I think it may be something to do with palm rejection as it happens more when my handing is resting on the right hand side of the screen.

Oct 7, 2017 10:26 PM in response to owlwhooman

I’m having the exact same issue on an iPad Pro 10.5” 256GB. As described by another commenter, it’ll freeze for approximately 10 seconds and then will catch up to my work. I want to love the new notes update and I’m really hoping that this gets resolved. I’m on the latest software update (11.0.2) and I have force closed the app and restarted. Let’s hope 11.1 has a fix. I expect more from an iPad Pro.

Oct 8, 2017 2:56 PM in response to AdrianAllen

I’ve noticed that too. I second your speculation of the palm-rejection as I’m also finding it happening more when my palm is on the right side. I’ve noticed it happening more and more as I’ve written more and more handwritten notes (“drawings” inserted and interspersed with the text). I was also wondering if maybe its something to do with the handwriting recognition? I can’t find any way of turning that off to test though.

Oct 9, 2017 12:26 AM in response to nlabendeira

I am having the same issue using the Apple Pencil iPad Pro 10.5 inch 256GB model. It frequently freezes for several seconds and then will catch up. Sometimes all the markings disappear and reappear after each stroke as well. I’ve restored the iPad multiple times but it doesn’t help. All these glitches with using the Apple Pencil in the notes app started after updating to iOS 11. I am using the latest update 11.0.2 as well. All of us are using the 256 gb 10.5 inch iPad Pro so I think this problem is limited to only this particular configuration of the iPad Pro. I reported this issue to Apple over two weeks ago and they still haven‘t fixed it. It is good to know that I am not alone with this problem. I hope they fix this soon.

Oct 9, 2017 10:15 AM in response to owlwhooman

I am having this problem as well. When using the Apple Pencil the notes app will often freeze for a few seconds when opening a note or resuming a note (after a few minutes of inactivity and/or after the screen has locked). Also, the app is crashing frequently, primarily when using the Apple Pencil. Lastly, sometimes when resuming a note I can scroll but the writing from the pencil is not recognized/visible on the screen (although I can still scroll and switch between notes). When I force-close the notes app and go back into the note, the writing is there. I’ve tried restarting the ipad as well a restore and still experiencing the issue. I am running iOS 11.0.2.

Oct 12, 2017 8:04 AM in response to owlwhooman

Hi,

I have the same issue

My iPad details are:

iPad pro 256 GB

Apple Pencil

It has been 3 weeks now since I reported my problem(s) to apple, no solution yet.

I restored my iPad to factory settings through iTunes, setup as new iPad and did not restore any backups. That did not fix the problem.

Apple exchanged my apple pencil with a new one. That also did not fix the problem.

I am having the same issue in; Apple Notes, Affinity Photo, Notability, and Procreate.

I also did not have any issues when using IOS 10.3, only since updating to IOS 11 have I experienced the issue.

I would recommend, if you have not already done so, creating a case with apple support with your problems. They recently told me that they had not heard of any other user with the same issue. I since contacted them and provided a link to this forum posting.

Oct 30, 2017 5:54 PM in response to owlwhooman

I’m having this issue as well, running IPad Pro 2017, 512GB, iOS 11.0.3

This makes the app unusable at this stage as I‘ve had to ask Clients to pause a briefing while I wait for notes to unfreeze. I can imagine this would be a problem for students as well trying to keep up with the lesson. For a simple note taking app with only one pen, one pencil and a highlighter available (I’m assuming so the app stays simple and hassle free) this unfortunately kills it.

Nov 7, 2017 3:30 AM in response to Eric--F

I hard quit notes maybe 20 times a day! There is obviously some bug preventing me to use notes with pencil. I use notes for work, but now it really is painful experience every day. Notes freezing indefinitely, crashing. IOS 11.1

Please fix this, the notes app is unusable and ruins the whole user experience with ipad.

Nov 11, 2017 11:14 AM in response to nicolasaragon

I have this problem also, iPad Pro 10.5. I notice it most when I’m taking notes using pencils, but I also get freezes when just typing into the Notes app or copy/pasting. Indeed, I can get a consistent crash by copying a URL from safari, pasting into notes, going back into safari to get another URL, going to notes and pasting.

I think there’s a lot of instability in Notes app. I suspect that it has to do with syncing to iCloud and locking up from there.

Apple, please fix!

Nov 29, 2017 11:06 AM in response to PoliticsProf

The instability hits every time I use Notes. If I go to Home and then right back to Notes, a previously stable session will lock up. Once locked it takes multiple re-tries to get it going again. For some restarts, it will work for a second or two and then hang.

I suspect you're right; it's in the sync to iCloud that's the problem, which is a shame as that is a really useful feature. I see no way to turn iCloud off for Notes to test -- think I'd have to turn iCloud off globally. I could try to sync through Exchange but not sure my work Exchange server will do that.

Nov 29, 2017 10:41 PM in response to stevewhitemd

I contacted apple support and spent maybe hour or so on the call, it seems like issue with the iCloud as you mention. I turned off iCloud sync for notes (Settings -> Accounts -> iCloud -> Notes [off]) which removed all of them from my iPad, but I can still access them on my Mac and now the notes app works flawlessly.

Handoff to my Mac actually adds the note to the iCloud, so it's my workaround until it's fixed.

Please contact support as well here: Official Apple Support

Nov 30, 2017 6:07 AM in response to Ladik

Hi Ladik, very interesting and thank you for the heavy lifting there in calling them. Yes, iCloud sync is the issue. I'll try turning it off. I wonder, since the sync part is useful, if this strategy would work temporarily until Apple fixes it --

1) turn iCloud sync for notes off as you say

2) use Notes, generate one or more Notes documents

3) when done, turn iCloud sync back on to sync them to my other devices

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Notes app crashes with iOS 11 on iPad 10.5" 256gb 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.