Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Podcast app no longer plays next podcast. App stops playback when a podcast is finished.

iOS 11 app no longer plays the next podcast. Why was that removed? If i have episodes 5-10 and i start playback at episode 6 why does the app just stop playback when episode 6 is done and not automatically begin playing episode 7 and so on. This new behavior is junk. I've tried sorting the podcasts old to new and this would work in iOS version 10. The sorting now seems to have no affect on playback. I'm really HATING this new app. It seems now i have to add a podcast to the "up next" list, which is a royal pain. Did the developers even USE this app?! Try driving down the road with 10 episodes to listen to in a show and having to pull the phone out to start the next one. If there is a way to make it play continuously you've hid it very well. Yeah Yeah... add them to the up next.....It should be automatic. HATE IT! Also I now have a bunch of old podcasts that i've listened to years ago showing up as not played. What happened to "Mark as Played"?

iPhone 6, iOS 11, Podcast App

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 21, 2017 12:01 PM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

Well for the time being I've switched to Pocket Casts. Simple effective interface. Change sorting to "oldest to newest" inside a shows settings, long press on the podcast i want to start listening to and select "Play all from here". Done.

The iOS 10 app worked even easier than that! How freaking hard is it apple?! The new Podcast app makes zero sense. Unintuitive and clunky. I want to see an in depth video from apple explaining how this app is supposed to be an upgrade in usability.

Sep 21, 2017 10:11 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

I have the same exact issues you detailed and it's frustrating the heck out of me. In trying to mark as played or remove an episode I had already listened to it removed my entire podcast subscription and I lost all the episodes I had downloaded and queued up to play in iOS10. This new podcast app is HORRIBLE. It's ruining my hour plus drive to and from work. I'm very sad by this change. I'm hoping they wake up and fix this app. It wasn't great before but now it's truly horrible.

Oct 2, 2017 2:12 PM in response to cyberbiker In response to cyberbiker

Hi Cyberhacker. Unfortunately, this doesn't assist with playing all the new and unplayed podcasts sitting in 'Listen Now'. From what I can see, there is no way to get this list to just keep playing. You need to either manually add to 'Play next', or you need to get to the end of the podcast, and then commence play for the next podcast you want to listen to. the beauty of the 'listen now' list is it's a list of all the unplayed new podcasts that you subscribe to. I'll listen to one after the other on my run to work, but now I have to play one. stop. set up the next one. and so on... very frustrating

Sep 21, 2017 11:44 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

Oh my goodness I HATE the new podcast app :( I normally have podcasts running while I sleep, and keep waking up to silence... trying to figure out the mess that the new app is while half asleep is impossible! The old app was so easy to use, this is so frustrating! Will most likely look for a new alreen

Sep 21, 2017 10:17 AM in response to Ramblinmanva In response to Ramblinmanva

you have to go into each individual episode and add it to your queue. Very annoying. I liked it when they would just play all the new episodes from everything in your subscription list. This may make me switch to another player. I've been getting notification from Spotify that they now do podcasts and I think soundcloud does too.

Sep 27, 2017 12:06 PM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

I've been messing with this app a little more. To get continuous play sort of like iOS 10 you have to make a station and add podcasts to it. Library > Edit > New Station. This will give you options for play order, how many episodes you want to see and which individual podcasts you'd like on the station. This at least will give you continuous play without having to add each podcast to up next. It's still annoying that going into an individual podcast and starting playback on a particular podcast DOES NOT have auto play functionality like iOS 10 did. I guess I'll have to make a bunch of stations for certain shows that have guests broken into multiple shows so I can listen in order interruption.

Sep 28, 2017 4:10 PM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

They've enforced safety features for txting and driving, but now someone's going to get killed trying to queue up the next podcast while driving - something that never needed to be done before. People listen to Podcasts while driving - duh - why did they remove such basic functionality? The amount of software entropy going on these days is incredible. It's just getting worse and worse all the time. Must be based on some sort of need to change for change's sake. Get your **** together Apple. You're better than this.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 21, 2017 5:40 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

Agree with this and hope someone has an answer I am missing.

They still have the "settings" for playing and I used "custom" to be what I want. It doesn't work. What is the point of this entire "settings" area as it doesn't seem to work.

Sep 21, 2017 5:40 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Sep 21, 2017 10:06 AM in response to tlamfers In response to tlamfers

Thanks for the post. Where exactly is that? It seems very clunky. I stumbled into the queue at one point and can't seem to find it again.

I maximize, minimize, tab around, it's a mess. So you can't just pick your favorite podcast and listen to all the episodes without multiple clicks?

Sep 21, 2017 10:06 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 21, 2017 10:11 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

I have the same exact issues you detailed and it's frustrating the heck out of me. In trying to mark as played or remove an episode I had already listened to it removed my entire podcast subscription and I lost all the episodes I had downloaded and queued up to play in iOS10. This new podcast app is HORRIBLE. It's ruining my hour plus drive to and from work. I'm very sad by this change. I'm hoping they wake up and fix this app. It wasn't great before but now it's truly horrible.

Sep 21, 2017 10:11 AM

Reply Helpful (8)

Sep 21, 2017 10:17 AM in response to Ramblinmanva In response to Ramblinmanva

you have to go into each individual episode and add it to your queue. Very annoying. I liked it when they would just play all the new episodes from everything in your subscription list. This may make me switch to another player. I've been getting notification from Spotify that they now do podcasts and I think soundcloud does too.

Sep 21, 2017 10:17 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Sep 21, 2017 10:36 AM in response to lidbee1 In response to lidbee1

Thanks - super helpful lidbee1. I think i'm going to try the free Overcast podcast app and see if it works better for me. I just downloaded it and it lets me create a smart playist (remember those!) and sorts oldest first which is also very helpful. Will see if it works well with the car tonight.

Sep 21, 2017 10:36 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 21, 2017 11:44 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

Oh my goodness I HATE the new podcast app :( I normally have podcasts running while I sleep, and keep waking up to silence... trying to figure out the mess that the new app is while half asleep is impossible! The old app was so easy to use, this is so frustrating! Will most likely look for a new alreen

Sep 21, 2017 11:44 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Sep 21, 2017 12:01 PM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

Well for the time being I've switched to Pocket Casts. Simple effective interface. Change sorting to "oldest to newest" inside a shows settings, long press on the podcast i want to start listening to and select "Play all from here". Done.

The iOS 10 app worked even easier than that! How freaking hard is it apple?! The new Podcast app makes zero sense. Unintuitive and clunky. I want to see an in depth video from apple explaining how this app is supposed to be an upgrade in usability.

Sep 21, 2017 12:01 PM

Reply Helpful (12)

Sep 27, 2017 9:21 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

I am going to also express my frustration with the new app set up. I too drive over an hour to work each way. So I would like to just play the next unplayed of all my podcasts or next episode in the podcast. Also, I like to listen oldest to newest and that seems not to be an option any longer.

Can I switch back to iOS 10

Sep 27, 2017 9:21 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 27, 2017 12:06 PM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

I've been messing with this app a little more. To get continuous play sort of like iOS 10 you have to make a station and add podcasts to it. Library > Edit > New Station. This will give you options for play order, how many episodes you want to see and which individual podcasts you'd like on the station. This at least will give you continuous play without having to add each podcast to up next. It's still annoying that going into an individual podcast and starting playback on a particular podcast DOES NOT have auto play functionality like iOS 10 did. I guess I'll have to make a bunch of stations for certain shows that have guests broken into multiple shows so I can listen in order interruption.

Sep 27, 2017 12:06 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Sep 28, 2017 12:02 AM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

Check the solution at Re: iOS 11 podcast autoplay

it seems the only way we can autoplay episodes is if subscriptions are added to a Station and we play to newest or oldest episode, depending on our play order selection.

Sep 28, 2017 12:02 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 28, 2017 4:10 PM in response to crawfishptc In response to crawfishptc

They've enforced safety features for txting and driving, but now someone's going to get killed trying to queue up the next podcast while driving - something that never needed to be done before. People listen to Podcasts while driving - duh - why did they remove such basic functionality? The amount of software entropy going on these days is incredible. It's just getting worse and worse all the time. Must be based on some sort of need to change for change's sake. Get your **** together Apple. You're better than this.

Sep 28, 2017 4:10 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Sep 28, 2017 9:37 PM in response to mom_of-3 In response to mom_of-3

I feel you. What is the difference between Keep Up Next and Clear Up Next? The Podcasts and the Music apps are definitely not user friendly. The same song keeps repeating in the Music app and I haven’t pressed the repeat button yet-because I don’t even know where to find it. I always hoped Podcasts will one day be reasonable-a new Podcasts gets uploaded I it will be easier to play chronologically. Perhaps even adding repeat, especially, if you sleep while it’s playing. I am impressed how Apple made it even worse😳 Eish!!

Sep 28, 2017 9:37 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: crawfishptc

Question: Podcast app no longer plays next podcast. App stops playback when a podcast is finished.