Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app no longer plays next podcast. App stops playback when a podcast is finished.

iOS 11 app no longer plays the next podcast. Why was that removed? If i have episodes 5-10 and i start playback at episode 6 why does the app just stop playback when episode 6 is done and not automatically begin playing episode 7 and so on. This new behavior is junk. I've tried sorting the podcasts old to new and this would work in iOS version 10. The sorting now seems to have no affect on playback. I'm really HATING this new app. It seems now i have to add a podcast to the "up next" list, which is a royal pain. Did the developers even USE this app?! Try driving down the road with 10 episodes to listen to in a show and having to pull the phone out to start the next one. If there is a way to make it play continuously you've hid it very well. Yeah Yeah... add them to the up next.....It should be automatic. HATE IT! Also I now have a bunch of old podcasts that i've listened to years ago showing up as not played. What happened to "Mark as Played"?

iPhone 6, iOS 11, Podcast App

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 2:01 PM

Use Siri. As has been stated in a few threads, if you place Subscriptions in a Station, the Episodes play automatically from top to bottom. You can set the episode order to Oldest-to-Newest, the reverse or manually position them using the Edit button at the upper right corner of the Station page (see image below). You can then click the top episode in the station to play all episodes in sequence or ask Siri to “Play xxx Station in Podcasts.”

User uploaded file

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2017 2:01 PM in response to tpbrooklyn

Use Siri. As has been stated in a few threads, if you place Subscriptions in a Station, the Episodes play automatically from top to bottom. You can set the episode order to Oldest-to-Newest, the reverse or manually position them using the Edit button at the upper right corner of the Station page (see image below). You can then click the top episode in the station to play all episodes in sequence or ask Siri to “Play xxx Station in Podcasts.”

User uploaded file

Oct 21, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Ramblinmanva

Clayton, there are three settings screens: Podcast App, Stations and Shows. The Custom Settings is in Shows and there are five items there. Please kill the pronouns and get specific. There were 211 million iPhones sold in 2016 alone. Millions of people are happily using the app. I assure you we can get to the bottom of your problem, if you explain it clearly.

Here is a more detailed set of tips to help.

iOS 11 Podcasts App Tips - Simpler, but a Major Departure from iOS 10

(as of 18Oct17)

The iOS 11 Podcasts App took a major step toward simplicity over previous versions, however, after first introducing Stations as a replacement for iTunes Playlists with iOS 10, it now forces a manual transition to Stations since iTunes Playlists no longer appear in the app. It also only permits Autoplay within Stations, introduces the term Shows and eliminates the Mark As Played feature for an individual podcast Episode or a selected group of Episodes.

To move around the app, one needs to understand three terms:

• Episode – a single event of a Show such as a single evening’s recording of the PBS NewsHour.
  • Show – a podcast subscription, such as the daily PBS NewsHour.
  • Station – a collection of Shows in whatever grouping you choose such as News

SETTINGS - PODCASTS APP, STATIONS AND SHOWS

It is wise to choose your preferences in iPhone>Settings>Podcasts before you subscribe to several Shows as those preferences will be the defaults for each Show. You can also change preferences for a particular Show, such as the PBS NewsHour by going to Library>Shows>PBS NewsHour, clicking the blue three-dot icon to the right of the Show’s name, then choosing Settings.

Note you can choose to download Only New Episodes as they become available, All Unplayed Episodes or none, should you choose to review an Episode’s title in Available Episodes on its Show’s screen before downloading it. You can also choose to keep played Episodes, should you wish to listen to them repeatedly, or delete them automatically once heard. Played Episodes remain on your device for 24 hours after being played, though the titles remain in Available Episodes on the Shows screen. A previous Episode, if still available, can be downloaded again by clicking the plus sign to the right of its title.

Below are my settings preferences for the Podcasts App (left), Stations (center) and Shows (right), which might be a handy starting point, if you have questions or problems.

User uploaded file

SUBSCRIBING TO A SHOW

You can subscribe to a Show using the search icon at the bottom of the app or through iTunes. You can also choose to download a single Episode rather than to subscribe to all future Episodes of a Show.

CREATING A STATION

Stations can be created, named and edited in the app at Library>Edit (upper right)>New Station or in iTunes. Shows can be added to a Station or removed by opening the Station in the Library screen and choosing Edit (upper right)>Settings>Choose Podcasts, then placing (or removing). a check mark to the right of the Show. A Station’s Shows can also be added or removed in iTunes.

You can Sort&Play all Episodes within the Station or when grouped by Show within a Station. The Sort&Play choices are Manual Show Order, Oldest to Newest, Newest to Oldest or Manual.

AUTOPLAY

Episodes can only be Autoplayed within a Station; but not in Listen Now, the Library Episodes list or in a Shows screen. Simply open a Station in the Library and click the top Episode. The remaining Episodes will play in sequence. In each Station’s settings you can designate whether the Episodes are sorted and played from oldest to newest, the reverse or manually. Episodes not fully downloaded can be streamed when on Wifi, however, Autoplay will stop at the Episode, if only on mobile data, regardless of the Podcasts App settings for mobile data.

PLAY NEXT

If you want to designate a particular Episode to play next, open its Episode screen, click on the blue three-dot icon to the right of Play and select Play Next. If the Ep you designated is in a different Station, it will play next, then Autoplay will return to the original Station and continue where it left off.

SLEEP TIMER

While playing an episode tap the Play Bar at the bottom of the screen. You will see the horizontal Play progress bar and the Sleep Timer right under it.

PLAY TIME PROGRESS INDICATOR

The play time remaining shows up in the Episode screen being played. The time progress for the Episode being played can be seen by opening the Play Bar along the bottom of the screen, on the Lock Screen and, for the iPhone 6S and later, in the Control Center using 3D Touch. Just press-and-hold the Play icon.

SIRI

Siri enhances convenience and SAFETY, particularly when driving or walking quickly. For example just say “Play Podcasts Station xxx” to have Siri open the app and Autoplay available Episodes in a Station. Using single word Station names will minimize Siri errors. “Next podcast” is a handy command too.

REMOVING AN EPISODE

To remove an Episode from a Station, Episodes or Listen Now simply swish it to the left. It will no longer be in the list, however, it can be retrieved in Available Episodes on its Show page.

SYNC WITH iTUNES

As you transition to the iOS 11 Podcasts app, there may be some glitches when you first sync with iTunes. The best solution is to clean up iTunes after syncing by correcting mismatches. From then on syncing should be more accurate. Be sure to turn on Sync in the Podcasts app settings and check both Sync blocks in:

• Mac – iTunes>Preferences>Store
  • Windows: - iTunes>Edit>Preferences>Store

For complex Podcasts users the cleanest way to perfectly sync the Shows and Stations between your Podcasts app and iTunes podcasts might be to delete the Podcasts app and it’s stored data, restart you iPhone, download the Podcasts app again, select your preferred Podcasts app settings, then Sync. Before doing the sync be sure the two sync boxes are checked in iTunes>Preference>Store and iPhone>Settings>Podcasts. To delete the Podcasts app and all its stored data, Go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage/Podcasts and select “Delete App,” give it time to refresh screen, then exit.

FEEDBACK TO APPLE

The Apple Discussion Boards are for users to share knowledge. Two email methods exist to transmit your alerts, suggestions and concerns to Apple. As we learned passing through adolescence, one loses one’s audience quickly with whiney, bitchy and rude comments, though, of course, we all tolerate it from children as they develop.

HELP REFERENCES

Oct 17, 2017 5:15 PM in response to Connelly11874

Connelly11847, you are missing the capabilities and requirements of the new Podcasts app bigtime!

Please follow the tutorial at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8121477 and you:

• will not have to deal with individual Episodes,
  • will be able to Autoplay them in sequence,
  • will be able to Sort&Play by date/time, Show or Manually and
  • will be able to see both the played and unplayed Episodes.

Those who are fighting change will just beat themselves to death in frustration. Apple made a deliberate decision to move from iTunes playlists for Podcasts to Stations. It is unlikely the decision will be reversed since millions who use the Podcasts app daily are very happy with Stations. Just give it a try as it is intended to be used and you, too, will probably be happy with it.

Sep 21, 2017 10:11 AM in response to crawfishptc

I have the same exact issues you detailed and it's frustrating the heck out of me. In trying to mark as played or remove an episode I had already listened to it removed my entire podcast subscription and I lost all the episodes I had downloaded and queued up to play in iOS10. This new podcast app is HORRIBLE. It's ruining my hour plus drive to and from work. I'm very sad by this change. I'm hoping they wake up and fix this app. It wasn't great before but now it's truly horrible.

Sep 21, 2017 12:01 PM in response to crawfishptc

Well for the time being I've switched to Pocket Casts. Simple effective interface. Change sorting to "oldest to newest" inside a shows settings, long press on the podcast i want to start listening to and select "Play all from here". Done.

The iOS 10 app worked even easier than that! How freaking hard is it apple?! The new Podcast app makes zero sense. Unintuitive and clunky. I want to see an in depth video from apple explaining how this app is supposed to be an upgrade in usability.

Sep 27, 2017 12:06 PM in response to crawfishptc

I've been messing with this app a little more. To get continuous play sort of like iOS 10 you have to make a station and add podcasts to it. Library > Edit > New Station. This will give you options for play order, how many episodes you want to see and which individual podcasts you'd like on the station. This at least will give you continuous play without having to add each podcast to up next. It's still annoying that going into an individual podcast and starting playback on a particular podcast DOES NOT have auto play functionality like iOS 10 did. I guess I'll have to make a bunch of stations for certain shows that have guests broken into multiple shows so I can listen in order interruption.

Sep 28, 2017 4:10 PM in response to crawfishptc

They've enforced safety features for txting and driving, but now someone's going to get killed trying to queue up the next podcast while driving - something that never needed to be done before. People listen to Podcasts while driving - duh - why did they remove such basic functionality? The amount of software entropy going on these days is incredible. It's just getting worse and worse all the time. Must be based on some sort of need to change for change's sake. Get your **** together Apple. You're better than this.

Oct 2, 2017 2:12 PM in response to cyberbiker

Hi Cyberhacker. Unfortunately, this doesn't assist with playing all the new and unplayed podcasts sitting in 'Listen Now'. From what I can see, there is no way to get this list to just keep playing. You need to either manually add to 'Play next', or you need to get to the end of the podcast, and then commence play for the next podcast you want to listen to. the beauty of the 'listen now' list is it's a list of all the unplayed new podcasts that you subscribe to. I'll listen to one after the other on my run to work, but now I have to play one. stop. set up the next one. and so on... very frustrating

Oct 8, 2017 8:01 PM in response to ericfromCFA

I honestly don't know why the changes were made other than that Apple was trying to reduce the complexity of iTunes after many years of modification. Naturally, that had an impact on the apps of Podcasts, Music and other iTunes services. I'm just a user like you trying to figure our how to get the most of the app we have been provided. Like others, I have left constructive criticism and suggestions at www.apple.com/feedback to try to make it more functional.

I haven't had the problems others have because when iOS 10 Podcasts came out with Stations I replaced all my iTunes Podcast playlists with Stations. That made the transition to iOS 11 Podcasts seamless, though I do miss "Mark and Played."

User uploaded file

Podcast app no longer plays next podcast. App stops playback when a podcast is finished.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.