Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 11 will not connect to car stereo with usb or bluetooth.

iPhone 7 Plus worked flawlessly with car stereo using usb or Bluetooth. Upgraded to iOS 11 and now all it does is say “accessory not supported” when trying to connect through either source. Different cables and forgetting and re-pairing Bluetooth does nothing.

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 3:15 AM

I solved this issue with the following steps:

1. Disconnect usb/lightning cable from your phone

2. Powercycle your phone by powering off and powering on.

3. Open Apple Music and play any downloaded song. You must have at least one song in your Music App. If not, sync one song from iTunes or download from iTunes Store.

4. Connect USB/lightning cable while music still playing on phone.

5. Watch and listen as the audio magically transfers from your phone to your car audio.

Tip: If you’re Spotify user, remember to follow the same procedures by starting up the Music app first. I was unable to play any audio from my phone, regardless Music, Spotify, YouTube and etc. It somehow resolved after following the steps above.

73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2017 3:15 AM in response to jpaul1675

I solved this issue with the following steps:

1. Disconnect usb/lightning cable from your phone

2. Powercycle your phone by powering off and powering on.

3. Open Apple Music and play any downloaded song. You must have at least one song in your Music App. If not, sync one song from iTunes or download from iTunes Store.

4. Connect USB/lightning cable while music still playing on phone.

5. Watch and listen as the audio magically transfers from your phone to your car audio.

Tip: If you’re Spotify user, remember to follow the same procedures by starting up the Music app first. I was unable to play any audio from my phone, regardless Music, Spotify, YouTube and etc. It somehow resolved after following the steps above.

Sep 21, 2017 8:47 AM in response to jpaul1675

Infuriatingly I have the same issue on my Kia Cee'd

USB playback worked great but now i get "connection error" when using Apple Music or the default player

Strangely when I start playing Spotify and plug it in will detect and start playing music but I would much rather use Apple Music

I really hope they fix it as Bluetooth streaming quality doesn't float my boat.

I also thought it was a cable issue but i have since tried 3 cables (one of them brand new) and still the same issue and my car stereo isn't getting a firmware upgrade anytime soon :S

Anybody else have similar issues?

Come on Apple please fix this

Sep 21, 2017 10:05 AM in response to alzoxp

Unfortunately it's not Apple's responsibility to fix it. Apple releases beta versions of software months in advance so that manufacturers (such as Kia) can test it on their systems. If there's a problem then it would be Kia that needs to release a firmware upgrade to be compatible or warn their buyers about the potential issues you could encounter by upgrading. However, most vehicle manufacturers could care less about your stereo system being able to connect to your phone and usually only test with the newest vehicles being sold.

If Kia contacts Apple then they can get help on updating their firmware but don't be surprised if Kia does nothing about it.

Oct 27, 2017 4:41 AM in response to jpaul1675

I have the same problem on my iPhone 6s, iPod touch (latest gen) and iPad Pro 9.7. All running iOS 11.0.3. My car is a Audi A3 cab 2015 with AMI (Audi Music Interface) connection. I use the original Audi AMI to 30-Pin adapter, with a genuine apple 30-pin to lightning plug. Everything was working great before iOS11. It just says "the connected device is not supported", after 5-10 minutes of trying to connect. This is obviously an iOS11 failure. Now I have to play audio over bluetooth and use the phone to scroll through podcasts and albums while driving. Thanks Apple!

Nov 6, 2017 7:02 AM in response to jpaul1675

I was having the same problem - USB data connection to car stopped working after the iOS update and generated the message “USB ERROR” in one car and “Version Not Supported” in another (both Hondas). This resolved briefly (one day) after a patch update was released, but then quit again. None of the suggestions posted online worked for me. Then, when having trouble getting my iPhone to serve as a personal hotspot for my iPad at a conference, I googled that problem. One suggestion was to reset the network settings. I did that and it worked to reestablish the hotspot connection between devices. When I got back in the car an hour later and plugged the same phone into USB to charge, the USB connection was suddenly working again for data as well. I now have music back in the car.

Hope this helps

Nov 10, 2017 12:51 PM in response to jpaul1675

I have this issue to with my BMW 520d with professional nav. Using an iphone 7 - UK version. Worked perfectly fine with previous iOS 10.x.x Updated iOS to 11.0 and 11.1 and it now doesnt pair to the car. Tried resetting network settings o the phone, hard power down etc etc and "forgetting device" numerous times but now the car tries for a few minutes to pair but just gives me a message saying not possible select a different device.

Strangely when a call comes in I can still answer via the car (and steering wheel) as it knows there is a bluetooth phone attached it just doesnt seem to have the details of my phone - and doesnt appear in the list of connected devices.

When I press call on my steering wheel it says phone unavailable.

Checked for software updates on BMW website and my car is running the latest version.

My girlfriends iphone 6 now has the same issue with the car also.

As a side note the USB still works fine with playing music through spotify premium.

someone P L E A S E help!!!

Nov 10, 2017 1:11 PM in response to makblv

update: Everything was fine for a week. Then it choked once, but worked the next time. Then it died again, six days after resetting the network settings. To test whether the reset was what worked, I immediately reset network settings again. This time, no dice. Apparently, ti was something else.

For the moment, I give up.

Nov 13, 2017 10:23 AM in response to kennethkr

Hi, I have the same issue. My iPhone 6s used to connect flawlessly to my 2017 Nissan Navara but now will not connect with a usb cable. I just get a message saying “no audio files”. I can connect via bluetooth but the quality is just not the same. Very frustrating as I have only had the car 4 weeks!

Any answers Apple?

I have done the normal stuff i.e. Reset my phone, tried different cables, deleted my phone from the car system and repaired it.

Nov 16, 2017 3:43 AM in response to anypats

Hi

I have not contacted Nissan, why did you assume I had??

I have now solved the issue and it is good old Apple sneaking software in to make you use their products and not one of their competitors. I had not signed up to Apple Music and did not use the Music App on the iPhone. I play music through Deezer which stopped working. However as soon as I sign up to a free trial of Apple music and download one single, low and behold my phone now connects to the stereo and I am able to play music again through any medium. Am I being cynical? I don't think so

Nov 17, 2017 1:40 AM in response to jpaul1675

I have a similar problem with the difference that when I plug in the usb it just starts to play music on the phone while the graphics and controls are still shown on the car display (2016 Jaguar with InTouch Pro system)!?! If I play via Bluetooth it works but as soon as I connect the USB cable/charger it shuts down the Bluetooth connection and starts playing trough the phone speakers. It all worked perfectly before the iOS upgrade. Now I can not play music from my phone and charge it at the same time. Very frustrating 😟

Dec 5, 2017 9:15 AM in response to jpaul1675

2015 Infiniti QX60. iPhone 7 connected via USB worked perfectly with Spotify and any other audio source, including YouTube, Sunday Ticket app, etc, until iOS 11. Have not tested Apple Music but wouldn't be remotely surprised if it still worked perfectly. When is Apple going to reply to this or any other thread on this subject?

ios 11 will not connect to car stereo with usb or bluetooth.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.