Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did you change the Arabic font in ios 11

The new Arabic font in the latest update IOS 11 is bad . Can you return the old font please ?

Thank you

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 1:05 AM

From ios 11 arabic font | Apple Developer Forums:

1. Go to Settings -> Languages and remove Arabic.
  2. Shut down your phone and turn it back on.
  3. Go to Settings -> Languages and add Arabic again.

I haven't seen this myself, but it may have to do with the switch from Naskh to Nastaliq as the default font in iOS 11.

38 replies

Nov 10, 2017 4:09 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Sorry, since I’m having the same issue with Arabic font in OS X as well I sent you the Mac shtuff.

Here is the Preferred Languages look like in IOS User uploaded file

I am not sure if this help identify the issue with the appearance of the font itself, but hey, for the sake of discussion. I hope  will change back or improve the Arabic font, one can just hope.

Sep 30, 2017 8:29 AM in response to Jourhb

The worst arabic font. who ever decide to use the current arabic font in iOS 11 doesn't have sense of aesthetic or any common artistic sense. sorry. it is a dumb font being used.

please ask through http://www.apple.com/feedback/ to change the font to Geeza Pro rather than the dumb stupid SF Arabic - which suitable for 3rd grade elementary student - that can't handle UTF-8 charachter as result enlarge the charachter and shows more like Persian or Urdu but not Arabic.

and contact apple support through the app  support on your phone or Official Apple Support

Oct 1, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Jourhb

Just found out after all the efforts and research: it is not the Arabic fonts but iOS 11 is using New San Francisco as default font and it affects the outcome of Arabic text and perhaps any other language that use non-Latin fonts too. I guess for us that use Arabic fonts will get stuck with a hope that  will consider changing the fonts like it was.

Nov 10, 2017 1:49 PM in response to zanjabil

zanjabil wrote:

I think you misunderstood. this is about Arabic font not Urdu. And the snapshot that you crop are Arabic UTF characters.

OK, I understand now. Some users have ALL their text looking like those Arabic UTF characters, and I thought maybe you were one of them. When that happens, it is because a nastaliq Arabic font gets used instead of a naskh Arabic font. And a nastaliq Arabic font gets used when the machine thinks the user prefers Urdu over Arabic language.

Why did you change the Arabic font in ios 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.