Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio disappears from iOS 11 Screen Recordings when the video is uploaded

So, my most anticipated feature of iOS is finally here... Screen Recording, native, right in iOS.

Only one problem! As soon as you upload the screen recording to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram or even insert it into iMovie the audio disappears. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Have you found a fix?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 5:38 AM

44 replies

Dec 12, 2017 8:31 AM in response to breaulta

I’ve got a solution, but it costs $5.99. I want to do everything on my phone and with iMovie. To get the audio from a screencap into the right track so that iMovie can play it, download iConv.

Open the screencap in iConv. Tap it and choose convert. Hit Advanced and choose Audio Track 2. This creates a new mov with the audio from Track 2 either on Track 1 or both tracks. Either way, iMovie will pay the audio from this new file.User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2017 9:50 AM in response to breaulta

Yeah I have same issue.
It appears that the recorded video has two audio tracks.
First track has no audio while the second track does.

When importing to iMovie it defaults to the first track- so no audio. lol.

Playing in MPC-HC you can change to the second track and get the audio.

But no way to select second audio track in iMovie in iOS. Or is there??

Oct 5, 2017 10:21 AM in response to Jdoster06

Ok. Just tested my theory and I was even more off than I originally thought.

I was thinking that maybe the mic channel was another audio layer so maybe if I recorded system sound I would hear that but not my voice. It is even weirder than that though... if weirder is a word...

So, I recorded me talking while playing Super Mario Run this morning. As soon as I launched Mario Run music (as in music from my library) started playin along with the audio from the game. I opened control center and stopped the music from playing but as soon as I went back to Mario Run the music would start again.

Finally I just went with it and tried recording all the audio anyway. When I play file back on my iPad all the audio is there. My voice, the music track and all the music and sound FX from Mario Run.

However, when I upload to YouTube... are you ready for this? ...the only audio it grabs is the FX from Mario Run. It does not even have the background music or the music track that started playing in the background. Test for screen recording on iPad Pro - YouTube

Oh. And I just updated to 11.0.2 so I will check and see if anything is different now but not getting my hopes up yet.

Dec 1, 2017 7:36 AM in response to musclebound

I came down to the same conclusion, two audio tracks.

Has anyone found a way to force the recording from the mic to go into the first track?

Quicktime is able to pick up the right track on my Windows PC, so it comes out without an issue. But I am sharing this video on a SharePoint site, and there the default is track 1. Depending on the browser used, I get an option to select the track, but most I don't. Plus, it is a pain to have to explain to people what to do.

Curious note: In Windows Media Player on my computer, I hear the audio, but do not see the video....

Using Windows 7 computer, and an iphone 8 with latest iOS.

Dec 4, 2017 9:57 AM in response to breaulta

Until they fix this, I found a work around:

(I found there was not audio when I uploaded to Google Drive, but I could get it to work when I put it in Adobe Premiere and exported... which is a pain) - so try the below to do the whole thing on your iPad/iPhone.

> Do your screen recording with Microphone Audio ON

> Do a SECOND screen recording with Microphone Audio OFF and playback your 1st screen recording from the "Photo" app. Let the whole video (1st screen recording) play.

> The second recording works when exporting to Google Drive (and probably to other locations).

Hopefully Apple will fix this so it works as it should the 1st time around!

Dec 10, 2017 5:03 PM in response to breaulta

Hi breaulta,

I’m a teacher and my students use screen recording all the time - it is a fabulous tool. However, I too am am having the same issue when they import the recording to iMovie for edits. We have managed devices and only have acces to iMovie to edit video. If Apple has any suggestions or work arounds we (my students) would be very appreciative.

thank you.

Dec 11, 2017 2:27 PM in response to breaulta

Hey guys,

Here is a quick fix I found if you have a MacBook. After I record the video with sound, I go into my camera roll, tap "Select" and then "Airdrop" the video to my Mac. You may even be able to text/email it to yourself but airdropping is much faster.

Once it's immediately sent to your MacBook it is in .mov file and uploads fine with sound to Facebook.

This is how I'll be doing it for now.

Dec 12, 2017 8:29 AM in response to HPeezy87

I’ve got a solution, but it costs $5.99. I want to do everything on my phone and with iMovie. To get the audio from a screencap into the right track so that iMovie can play it, download iConv.

Open the screencap in iConv. Tap it and choose convert. Hit Advanced and choose Audio Track 2. This creates a new mov with the audio from Track 2 either on Track 1 or both tracks. Either way, iMovie will pay the audio from this new file.

You go to Converted Files file and hit Send to iMovie and the new file opens up and the audio plays.

iConv is free, but you can only do one operation per hour. Pay the $5.99 and you can convert and send to all you want.

Dec 13, 2017 10:10 PM in response to breaulta

I’m kind of having the same issue. I screen record with audio on and when I go to my Camerrel it sounds fine. But then I go to my Instagram story to upload and the sound is gone. Does anybody know what I need to do to fix this? When I try to upload it to my Instagram feed it works fine but for some reason in the stories it’s not having any sound.

Dec 14, 2017 10:41 PM in response to ITeach1st

I thought I had the same issue too until my daughter showed me how to do it. Kids are amazing these days.

Ok so when you press the record key, remember your iPhone has a touch sensitive screen and press it hard and a microphone symbol appears. Then select Audio on. A soft touch like I’m using to type this will not make it appear.

Simple as that 👍-1F3FC;

Audio disappears from iOS 11 Screen Recordings when the video is uploaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.