Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 screen rotation lock not working

I downloaded the beta of iOS 11 and I'm assuming, since the public version is out, I'm on full version of iOS 11. Since I downloaded, I've had problems with my phone freezing and my screen rotation lock not working properly. I have the screen rotation lock on because I HATE the constant flipping back and forth my phone will do. It's way too sensitive if you don't have it on. iOS 11 has a problem with the screen rotation lock not actually working properly, or is this just me? It flips to sideways screen and stays that way until I lock my screen and unlock it. It will literally freeze on the sideways position, with the screen rotation lock on. HELP!

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 4:33 AM

My iPhone has done it since the update aswell, however, I’ve found that when I have WiFi turned on on the phone it doesn’t do it, only when I turn WiFi off, even when it’s only 4G that is getting used at the time.

27 replies

Sep 30, 2017 9:26 AM in response to MindyFromIndy

As I said many iPhone apps only support portrait mode. As far as I can tell the few that don't have a portrait mode will ignore the preference anyway. In fact when I tap the button in the control centre I get a message saying Portrait Orientation Lock: On or Off, so it looks as if there isn't an option to lock into landscape mode. Or at least not for me. 😕

tt2

Oct 19, 2017 6:06 AM in response to MindyFromIndy

I recently upgraded to iOS11 and the screen rotation has become problematic ever since. I booked a genius bar session on 15th October and had the handset diagnosed, which found no hardware issues withe micro gyro. The slightly baffled assistant then went 'out back' and one of his bespectacled, beardy bretheren told him that Apple have become aware of the screen rotation freeze and there are plans to push out an iOS patch in the very near future.

Oct 19, 2017 7:11 AM in response to MindyFromIndy

This should be top priority for patch fixes. It has interrupted my electronic apps in the middle of critically sensitive operations.

My screen rotates to landscape onto a display of the lock screen - but only half of it - permanently cutting off access to the bottom part of the numeric pad required to enter ones password.

I cannot detect any pattern to when this crazy rotation will happen.

The only fix is a hard reboot - turn phone off and then wait for it to boot back up.

Oct 19, 2017 7:34 AM in response to MindyFromIndy

Same with my 6plus and not fixed on 11.0.3. It rotates to landscape on homescreen and cannot go back to potrait unless you lock the phone or turn off the rotation lock let it rotate back to potrait and turn the rotation lock on again. It is annoying. I think this is problem with the control center similar to toggling of wifi and bluetooth which actually does not turn it off. And if it is, Control Center is a total garbage thing on iOS 11.

Oct 23, 2017 3:57 PM in response to MindyFromIndy

I have this same exact issue too since upgrading on my iPhone 7. Its beyond annoying. I did a second upgrade a week ago and that fixed it for a day or two and then it came back. It happened immediately after upgrade and now it happened to my wife's iphone 7 as well. This is definitely something that Apple needs to address & acknowledge asap.

If any Apple employees see this, please get this on your radar quick before there's a bigger issue!

Oct 23, 2017 5:41 PM in response to MindyFromIndy

Both my iPhone 8 and iPhone 6 are exhibiting this same issue. Being connected to WiFi does not prevent it from occurring. I have spent much time with Apple support both on the phone and in the store but the problem continues. I have to open another app to get it to revert to portrait once it is in the fixed landscape mode. Yet another problem with iOS 11.

Nov 12, 2017 8:05 AM in response to MindyFromIndy

I have the same issue with my iPhone 6. IOS 11 has been a bag of excrement since it's release, the phone opens up and locks in Landscape mode on Messages at random times. It also often takes an eternity for Messages to open and you end up with a plain white screen for a good few minutes whilst the phone thinks about what it wants for dinner whilst loading it. Random bursts of heat coming from the back of the phone with no apps running in the background. Apple needs to sort it's crap out and stop churning out bug filled rubbish we aren't buying Android phones we're supposed to the best software going but I'm wishing i'd stuck to an earlier IOS that was Jailbreakable at least then I could get the phone to do be half decent.

Nov 12, 2017 8:07 AM in response to cbadland

they use chimpanzees for Betas, they only test that the power button turns it on and off, as this is the worst IOS ever, trying to be too clever with the release of two phones in a short space of time and yet another watch. Maybe concentrate on getting the software to work and then release the hardware would be a better idea if you want to keep customers

iOS 11 screen rotation lock not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.