Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay stops

Airplay mirroring stops working after a few minutes. I’m playing from iPhone to AppleTV. Just installed IOS11 yesterday.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 12:35 PM

I have some more details.

• Update ios 11.0.1 does not fix the problem
  • Airplay stopping only occours if i stream from an app like netflix, amazon, safari, youtube
  • it stops after more or less exactly 2 minutes
  • After Showing the AppleTV Menu for a second, airplay reconnects and the stream continues (except for the Netflix app - it shows error-code 30103)
  • Airplay does not stop if i turn on "Screen Mirroring" and stream from the same apps
  • none of my other devices has this problem
  • problem first time occurred on iOS 11
27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2017 12:35 PM in response to User 4711

I have some more details.

• Update ios 11.0.1 does not fix the problem
  • Airplay stopping only occours if i stream from an app like netflix, amazon, safari, youtube
  • it stops after more or less exactly 2 minutes
  • After Showing the AppleTV Menu for a second, airplay reconnects and the stream continues (except for the Netflix app - it shows error-code 30103)
  • Airplay does not stop if i turn on "Screen Mirroring" and stream from the same apps
  • none of my other devices has this problem
  • problem first time occurred on iOS 11

Sep 25, 2017 4:47 PM in response to MrsDarlene

I have the same issue.. it is NOT related to radio interference. I've tested the connectivity in multiple environments, ALL of which worked perfectly prior to the IOS 11 upgrade. I have the same problem AirPlaying with both my IOS 11 device ON and OFF the network (connected directly to the ATV).

Steps for Direct Connect to the AppleTV from my IOS 11 (iPhone 6S Plus) Device..

- Power on AppleTV

- Make sure WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled on both the AppleTV and IOS 11 Device

- Make sure they are NOT connected any wireless network or other Bluetooth Device

- Start up a video source that has an AirPlay option

- Connect the IOS 11 Device to the AppleTV via AirPlay

-- Wait for it to drop the AirPlay connection (at least for me it does)

Sep 21, 2017 1:54 PM in response to MrsDarlene

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other wifi networks in the neighbourhood or from many household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items that cause interference.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate (which may help where interference is present. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software or from device to device, so just because it worked before or works with a different device doesn’t exclude interference as a problem.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

I understand that some of the suggested software (whilst once free) has become pay-ware, I suggest you look around, you may find free alternatives.

Dec 18, 2017 12:30 PM in response to MrsDarlene

Hey there. I've experienced frequent interruptions in AirPlay now for more than half a year and I think I solved it today for me. I usually mirror my MacBook to Apple TV 4K (the outages also occurred with Apple TV 4th gen). After reading here and there through the web I tried to narrow possible source of interferences down (assuming that this caused the outages). I eventually realised that a Netatmo Healthy Home Coach seems to be the culprit. It fits round about with the time when I installed it home when the outages began. When unplugged the Netatmo device I haven't seen any outages in AirPlay through time periods of about 5 minutes (that's at least how long I sampled). After plugging the Netatmo back in AirPlay would fail within the next 2 minutes. Now I have to reconsider the position of my Netatmo device which was about 1 m away from the Apple TV. So even if you don't have a Netatmo device, hopefully my experience helps to narrow the issue down for some of you folks. Fingers crossed!

Jan 22, 2018 12:45 AM in response to MrsDarlene

I’ve had the same problem. #1, keep iPad or iPhone plugged into power source while playing so that it never goes into sleep mode. #2, turn off cellular data. You’re already on wireless in home but it will stop Device from jumping back and forth between bands. You will still get emails and texts but just remember to turn cellular data back on when leaving the house since nothing will work once you leave wireless connection. If anything keeping device plugged into power source while sending to Apple TV will stop interruptions.

Mar 2, 2018 3:37 AM in response to avlasich

No, I blame wifi, because that's what it most likely is.

All of my TV's and devices in multiple locations work perfectly so it's not bugs, but I have read other posts as you suggest and almost everyone that resolves these problems finds it to be a wifi issue, this post is no different, see the post 5 above.

I don't really care whether you accept the matter or not, but until you accept it's almost certainly your wifi you won't solve the problem.

Mar 2, 2018 3:45 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Really funny... typical IT support "denial style" answer: "I don't have the problem, hence, the problem is your network..." But I can tell you, I don't have wifi issues as all my other non-iOS 11 devices work properly, but my iPad Pro and my wife's iPad mini since updated to 11 started behaving with the same reported issues.

Nevertheless, you can keep on blaming wifi. It's the easy answer so is pointless to keep going on with the discussion.

Mar 4, 2018 7:17 PM in response to Winston Churchill

This exact issue is all over the net. WiFi is not the issue, as I, and many of us have troubleshooted the **** out of that and still get the same result: airplay drops after ~2 minutes. Apple's go-to explanation is WiFi, but if you know anything about computers, you have this issue and you spend even just 5 minutes reading all of the troubleshooting others have done on top of your own, it is easy to see that WiFi is not the issue here. It is annoying as all ****, especially when Apple TV is so expensive.

Mar 5, 2018 3:01 AM in response to ipkus4228

That's exactly my point... but whatever proofs we bring on the table, there is always a bunch of deniers who go the easy way: "it is your wifi"... I have also run multiple tests, used different routers, APs, changed channels, isolated the wifi so as to have just the 2 components running, measured bandwidth utilization, checked for interferences, etc. and the problem still remains. It is definitely some bug on the way airplay works, but is always easier to deny rather than to investigate and solve...

FYI, Bose decided some time ago to stop using Airplay for their devices because of the bunch of problems to maintain a stable connection they were having. Isn't this something to consider as well? Is not "just another user" who is saying that Airplay is unstable...

Mar 14, 2018 10:09 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Perhaps you can tell us why, if it's the wi-fi, I can stream Hi Def video on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, every time flawlessly, yet I cannot get my (current software) iMac & 4th Gen ATV to play local mp3's for 10 minutes without breaking connection. My TV is one floor down and 10 feet over. My JBL bluetooth speakers play farther than that range, also flawlessly.

I would love to hear a reason that makes sense. I've tried debugging this issue for literally 15 years, give up, come back to it, upgrade devices, come back to it, etc. etc. Same pathetic dysfunction endlessly. I'm just inches away from the hassle of running ethernet through the walls of my house. Apple's cutting edge solution from the late 80's.

Even when play stream works, it's pathetically dysfunctional in other ways. Always erratic at getting simple album art to the ATV, also to my phones Remote app. Often it freezes on art and / or (this is how random it is) freezes on song info as new songs advance. Then like a cosmic joke, it sometimes does advance with each song - wait for it - to the artwork and title info of the *previous* song, like waiting for a radio DJ to tell you what played. Awesome!

Both devices can sometimes control track advance & scroll & give other info, sometimes not; it may play but no control over anything. (Of course if i want it to stop I can wait 5 minutes.) Please explain how Wi-Fi could be doing that while playing app video so well, other than ATV airplay just being a bug-riddled hot mess, as thousands have experiened. I'm trying not to be snarky but I'm deeply burnt out on hearing the same confident advice from apologists that I've wasted collective days if not weeks of my life trying to fix.

Airplay stops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.