Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone message tone notifications inconsistent

Ever since updating to iOS 11, my phone is inconsistent in giving me tone notifications on received text messages.

That is, I don't always get a tone alert on my lock screen. The banner still shows when I wake my phone. But, I don't always get a tone alert.

All settings are correct (no changes from before when there were no issues).

[Re-Titled by Host]

Anyone else having this problem with the new iOS? Any solutions?

iPhone 7, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 11:14 PM

I know this might sound obvious, but I just noticed that there’s a “hide alerts” feature in messages that appears if you swipe right on the conversation. I was wondering why texts from my wife didn’t have a tone play...I think this may be why. Later I noticed that a crescent moon appears to next to the conversation when “hide alerts” is enabled. See photo.User uploaded file

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2017 11:14 PM in response to e11a

I know this might sound obvious, but I just noticed that there’s a “hide alerts” feature in messages that appears if you swipe right on the conversation. I was wondering why texts from my wife didn’t have a tone play...I think this may be why. Later I noticed that a crescent moon appears to next to the conversation when “hide alerts” is enabled. See photo.User uploaded file

Sep 27, 2017 7:30 PM in response to bmancdf

One thing I have noticed is that my iPhone 7, after upgrading to iOS 11, and iOS 11.0.1, will receive and properly display notifications if the screen is unlocks, but it will not if the screen is locked. The screen stays off, not notification sounds, nothing to indicate that an alert has arrived. I have also noticed that if my phone has bluetooth turned off (in settings) then it does display notifications properly when the phone is locked. I'm not sure why bluetooth is preventing lock screen notifications from working properly, but that seems to be the case for me.

Oct 7, 2017 3:49 PM in response to jdo_apple

My problem with message tones is this: when a new conversation is started I get a notification tone, but for subsequent messages the tone reverts to a kind of Swoosh in reverse, not audible unless you're looking out for it. If I make any changes in the course of the conversation such as choosing a new tone, the next incoming message sounds it correctly, then subsequent messages lose that tone again. I have checked Messages, Notifications and Sounds settings, have restarted and hard reset, and re-installed iOS11. Any ideas?

Nov 20, 2017 12:05 PM in response to e11a

An update: bluetooth was the culprit in my case. Apple's fakakta decision to only disconnect bluetooth and wifi from the control center, not disable them, muddied the waters. Going into Settings and truly turning off bluetooth got my audio text notifications back 100%. I stream music daily via bluetooth so this is a pain to implement.

Sep 22, 2017 4:03 PM in response to GuestQuestion

Hello GuestQuestion,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to get audio notifications on your iPhone as expected. If you haven't already, please restart your iPhone as iOS clears cached data and does other system optimizations when you turn your device off and on.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please also double check that you do not have Do Not Disturbed enabled:

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you're still having this issue, your next step is to reinstall iOS on your device; this will help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the “Update” option and not “Restore” and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further.

Cheers!

Jul 23, 2018 3:43 PM in response to GuestQuestion

A successful fix:

I had tried all fixes here, No help. Then I tried

• Disable Settings: Notifications: Reminders: Alert Sounds
  • power-cycle device (hold power button until slider appears, select "power off," hold power button to restart)
  • lock screen (click power button)
  • trigger event (no sound, as expected)
  • Reenable Settings: Notifications: Reminders: Alert Sounds
  • power-cycle device
  • lock screen (click power button)
  • trigger event
  • Works! Alert sound heard!

• Context:

• iPhone 6S
    • iOS 11.4.1
    • No watch
    • I have Do Not Disturb set to run on schedule (10pm-8am, all above experiments done around 3pm)
    • I frequently use Bluetooth headphones, usually turn off BT at Settings.
    • I occasionally use Personal Hotspot

(Edited: correct path to setting I diddled, Settings: Notifications: Reminders: Alert Sounds.)

Oct 7, 2017 4:42 PM in response to Tweagle

Middle of the night, finally realised what is happening: you don't get a message tone if the conversation is open. Close the conversation so that you only see the headers, and the tone sounds just fine. On the iPad that means having a New Message open so that existing conversations aren't visible. I can go to bed now.

Nov 25, 2017 10:12 PM in response to GuestQuestion

I was also frustrated by this problem. The suggestion regarding the special feature in IOS 11 to HIDE ALERTS for a single conversation was the answer. Swipe left on the conversation just like DELETING and you will see a new second feature. it will say either Hide or Show Alerts. If it says SHOW you have inadvertently done a HIDE before. I'm not sure how it happened because the person that it happened for was someone I would never try to DELETE, and this is the first I have heard of this feature. Sort of a Do Not Disturb for a single contact.

Dec 21, 2017 3:09 AM in response to GuestQuestion

I suspected Bluetooth is the culprit and when I have a device connected. It affects text and phone notifications. Notifications are coming through the device but not the phone. Which means if I take my headset off I am effectively on DND.

Come on!! Was this a new “ feature“??

Sometimes I want to take off the headset without disconnecting.

iPhone message tone notifications inconsistent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.