Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I delete photos/videos after updating to iOS 11?

I just updated to iOS 11.0 on my iPhone 7 and I can’t delete any pictures or videos from my camera roll.

Already tried restarting my iPhone as well as backing it up to my computer.

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 4:40 PM

Hi aramirez13,

I understand that you've been unable to delete photos since updating your iPhone. I'm happy to help with this.

If you have photos that were transferred to your iPhone from a computer, you will need to turn off iTunes syncing to remove them:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

Turn off iTunes syncing

If you don't want the synced photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch anymore, turn off syncing in iTunes and they'll be removed from your device. You can turn off syncing for some of your photo albums or all of them at once.

Stop syncing some albums

1. Open iTunes on your computer and connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
  2. Click on the device icon in iTunes.
  3. Click Photos.
  4. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections that you want to stop syncing.
  5. Click Apply.

Stop syncing all photos

3. Click Photos.
  4. Deselect "Sync Photos" then click "Remove photos."
  5. Click Apply.

Learn how to delete photos and videos synced from iTunes when you can't access the originals.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!
17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 4:40 PM in response to aramirez13

Hi aramirez13,

I understand that you've been unable to delete photos since updating your iPhone. I'm happy to help with this.

If you have photos that were transferred to your iPhone from a computer, you will need to turn off iTunes syncing to remove them:

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices - Apple Support

Turn off iTunes syncing

If you don't want the synced photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch anymore, turn off syncing in iTunes and they'll be removed from your device. You can turn off syncing for some of your photo albums or all of them at once.

Stop syncing some albums

3. Click Photos.
  4. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections that you want to stop syncing.
  5. Click Apply.

Stop syncing all photos

3. Click Photos.
  4. Deselect "Sync Photos" then click "Remove photos."
  5. Click Apply.

Learn how to delete photos and videos synced from iTunes when you can't access the originals.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Dec 31, 2017 3:24 PM in response to aramirez13

Have you tried accessing your camera photos via "Image Capture" on the Mac (connect device via usb as you would for iTunes), if they appear in the main section of Image Capture try selecting the option to deleted (should be available along the bottom once you highlight one or more images).

User uploaded file

Also, bottom left is a small upward arrow, if clicked it shows what operations can be done once imported - you can tick "Delete after import", then click "Import All" to see if they get transferred to your Mac followed by being deleted from the device.

Apr 8, 2018 11:58 PM in response to Justapersona

Justapersona wrote:

Yeah, I kind of hate Apple for syncing confusion like this...Why is this so hard?

It is all very confusing I must agree, the number of options now available to move images around is mind bending, when I last looked you could sync via iTunes (auto), import via Photos (auto), import via Image Capture (manually), Import via iCloud My Photo Stream (auto) and Share via iCloud Photo Library (auto), I've left off Share Albums via iCloud Photo Sharing (auto) because it could be viewed as part of the previous ones.

I believe some of the problem is that Apple have tried to maintain the legacy methods (iTunes and Image Capture) as they have introduced the new "cloud" options, which led me to decide a while back that it must be an either or choice or you could end up with a mess - I opted to stick with legacy and only use Image Capture which with all the other option turned off or not used still gives me the tick box to delete following import. Yes, I'm left with manually archiving the images, storing remotely for safety and manual transfer if I want some on another device, but I stay in control.

If iCloud has been used but you decide later to turn off this article may help to avoid firstly losing any important ones in the process and secondly getting back some cloud space afterwards http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/04/21/how-to-remove-cloud-photo-library-conten t/

These are my options for just using Image Capture which has "No application" set so images import to Desktop (I can also select "Delete after import" if required).

User uploaded file

iTunes "Sync Photos" is turned off for all devices.

User uploaded file

iCloud Photo options are all turned off.

User uploaded file

Obviously the last needs to be done on all your devices as well, plus it can be wise to check following a software update that they haven't been re-enabled for some reason.

Apr 8, 2018 3:42 PM in response to aramirez13

Yeah, I kind of hate Apple for syncing confusion like this, and here we are a few years later, it just seems to bobble between incomprehensible and mysteriously broken.

I have a work Mac, and a personal Mac, and one iPhone. I take a lot of whiteboard photos at work; I grab dozens of photos each weekend for fun. A week of vacation and I have 100+ from that.

I import my whiteboard photos to my work computer, but cannot delete them from the phone while I'm sitting at my desktop (I used to do this, with that check box everyone is missing, "Delete after importing.")

I import personal ones to my personal Mac when I get to it... same problem.

My phone seems to have 1000's of photos, most of which got imported somewhere, once, and I just can't make sense of it any more.

I turned on iCloud photos briefly. That seemed to just put more photos back onto my phone ("from the cloud") mysteriously. I've just turned that off on all devices (and am told now I have 1000's of photos there... Oye Vey).

Even better, I just turned on Image Capture -- I think (?) I used that last year to just wipe all photos off my phone, but that doesn't seem to be available now.

Why is this so hard?

May 1, 2018 9:30 PM in response to aramirez13

I used iPhone X and the problem that when you sync photo with you itune (for me, macbook 2015) after you delete photo from your folder but the photos are still in you iphone. My solution requires internet connection. In iphone, go to "Setting" and select "iCloud", tap "Photos". Turn on "iCloud Photo Library", the pop-up box will ask you to remove the photos (those are from your itune-syncing photos). Tap OK and wait. Check your app "Photo" again, the synced photos are deleted slowly (depend on your internet signal) and the photo from iCloud library (if you have) will be here instead. After the process completes, go to "Setting" again and turn off "iCloud Photo Library" again.

I hope this may help your problem 🙂

Jun 10, 2018 6:14 AM in response to aramirez13

I am having this issue also. I love opening photo and seeing photos of exboyfriends and friends that can’t be deleted. It is comical that there is so much discussion about this issue and I am STILL sifting through replies trying to understand how to correct it. Apple over complicating things as usual. I’m getting tired of wasting so much time on them.

Why can’t I delete photos/videos after updating to iOS 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.