Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

landscape keyboard is smaller on ios11

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 5:18 PM

This is terrible, its not just smaller but in landscape mode it is missing buttons that it used to have. I sincerely hope this is a bug that will be fixed.

The old keyboard with helpful side buttons is shown below.

User uploaded file

22 replies

Jan 13, 2018 3:12 AM in response to appus

the keyword getting smaller is extremely annoying and frustrating there is literally no point to “landscape keyboard” anymore, seeing how there is no real difference in size .

But what’s really frustrating it’s the loss of the “Extra“ buttons that are now missing !

specifically the “cancel/return” button that used to be second from the top on the left side I can’t tell you how many times I’ve accidentally deleted something important and had that button to click on and Had it reappear, and I can’t tell you how much of a pain in the *** it is now without it !

as a person that runs a lot of my business information on my phone, not having that button is extremely noticeable.

I have to take multiple screenshots just to make sure I have a “back up“ of exactly what it says before I try to edit it just in case I accidentally delete something .

I thought the point of the updates and we development was to make the phone better and more user-friendly by doing that all they did was rendered The phone less efficient and DNA quite significant way .

It’s a specially felt well using Notes the place people use to write down memos any important information !

That’s just stupid it really is .

Then which really annoys me is that it’s just on the iPhone the iPads have a full size keyboard in landscape granted there still missing the

“extra buttons” but it’s defeating the purpose that the tablets where the keyboard is already fairly big have a full screen keyboard and the phone that’s much more compact doesn’t .

I don’t know who’s responsible for it at Apple

or what the **** was the thinking behind it ?

but I seriously hope they bring the full keyboard back extra buttons and all back especially since it’s been a few updates since it first occurred and we still dealing with the same bull ****

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2017 6:54 AM in response to Moduleman

Moduleman wrote:

The arrow keys are mandatory to navigate text entry windows of a number of websites and forums.

For some people. Not so much for others. I find the new trackpad feature much more usable.

Let Apple know how you feel here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Meanwhile, use one of the many third party keyboards available. GBoard has been recommended by a number of people.

Dec 21, 2017 11:51 PM in response to appus

In my opinion, the disgraceful change in landscape orientation keyboard in iOS 11 is a sign that Apple is no longer a leader in product design.

I would like the people who took this decision to come up and explain the users how they think they improved our experience by:

• Reducing the key size of the landscape keyboard.
  • Eliminating useful extra keys.
  • Placing the "return" key so close to the "space" one.

Plus, the grey areas left around the keyboard not only look awful, but, when pressed, they also "type" the key that's closer to them (e.g. the top left grey area types a "q"). It feels like a bug that would be barely acceptable in a cheap system, but in the most expensive devices in the market it is a scandal.

It's incredible how Apple has allowed itself to offer such a poor user experience and how it's ignoring the massively negative feedback on it. Would it be so hard to restore the original keyboard in the next iOS update, at least as an option?

It's the first time in 7 years of iOS devices use that I feel my iPhone experience has been severely degraded and it might be the reason why I would consider switching to an Android device in the future.
I really hope Apple will rectify soon.

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2017 2:53 PM in response to appus

Sadly, it's the first thing I used and noticed after upgrading my 6s to iOS11.x - and it's horribly wrong on many fronts! UI is ugly, key buttons I've gotten used to in landscape are missing and now it's necessary to tap more keys to get to the missing buttons. Terrible! 90% of my texts and emails are in landscape, honestly (big hands and fingers). I'm hesitant to download and install a 3rd party app like Gboard for this purpose. Ugh! Had I known this and this alone I wouldn't have installed 11.x. The more things change the worse it gets - and Apple will soon lose a life-long iPhone user.

Nov 17, 2017 1:13 AM in response to JT02451

Apple had their landscape keyboard nearly perfected. The arrow keys are required for some websites where you enter text. Why they removed it makes absolutely no sense. Probably a new batch of millenial programmers that have no understanding of what a qwerty interface is made this decision. It's enough to make you change phones that is for sure. Was for me.

Feb 21, 2018 11:25 AM in response to Mi_Bcn

I totally agree! I recently had my phone RESET, and have spent HOURS with Apple Care and 2 visits to their store. NO Apple rep has even recognized that this is a problem out there! I am so glad someone else, and I see there are many on this blog, who are also experiencing this terrible change to the landscape keyboard! Being almost 65, my hands and eyes do not function as well. The larger keys and holding the phone in that position, were all working for me.

I am seriously considering migrating to an Android just like the commercial I saw over & over on the holidays. Have you tried to call Apple for help or even tried to make an appt online? 45 min hold on the phone, and extremely difficult to even find where to make an appt! Ridiculous! "If" you can get to the actual store, you'll find reps, but I had to wait 2 hrs. in the mall and another 30 min. once I arrived back at Apple. Still no resolve to the 'smaller keyboard'. Don't do the GKeyboard! The privacy statement lets you know they can collect your acct numbers, passwords, etc. Read the fine print.

Feb 21, 2018 11:36 AM in response to RedfromRenton

RedfromRenton wrote:

I totally agree! I recently had my phone RESET, and have spent HOURS with Apple Care and 2 visits to their store. NO Apple rep has even recognized that this is a problem out there! I am so glad someone else, and I see there are many on this blog, who are also experiencing this terrible change to the landscape keyboard! Being almost 65, my hands and eyes do not function as well. The larger keys and holding the phone in that position, were all working for me.

The keyboard that people have indicated is the closest to the iOS 10 keyboard is "Gboard". But, I think you can do better for your particular needs. There are lots and lots of third-party keyboards available in the App Store. Many are designed for people who need a large font due to vision issues (e.g. all of us over 40!) or who need larger keys because of fine motor problems. You might take a look at one called "Big Keys". Another nice looking one is called "StoneKey".

By the way, this is not a blog. It's a user-to-user technical support forum. And, in the grand scheme of the number of people who own iPhones, not very many people are complaining. Apple also doesn't read here for suggestions. Use the feedback link already provided to let them know how you feel. The more people who do, the more likely that Apple will make a change.

landscape keyboard is smaller on ios11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.