Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Notes keeps crashing in iOS11

Hope you can help me, I appreciate your input and suggestions. FYI... I usually upgrade my iPhone every two years and upgrade to the most advanced Apple device that Apple offers. I’ve been using my current iPhone 7+ 256gb for almost a year now, with no issues. I have been using Apple Notes for many years with no issues prior to my recent upgrade to iOS11. I just upgraded to iOS 11 the day of the release and have now noticed that Notes is always crashing. I do use Notes quite extensively. After a couple a crashes, I think tried exiting Notes, it often resets itself and then crashes again. I have tried both hard and soft re-boots, but that doesn’t help... Any ideas? Thanks in advance... Rob

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2017 4:42 AM

This is obviously still an issue, is there any update you can give us, will this be correct in 11.1? It seems like most users here that are having this issue are heavy users, like the app is crashing on trying to sync that many notes (I didn't have this issue when I had only a few hundred notes, but at 4,000 it's unusable)? I really really really don't want to go back to EN but I basically don't have a useable notes app on my iPhone?

292 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2017 4:42 AM in response to Alexm87

This is obviously still an issue, is there any update you can give us, will this be correct in 11.1? It seems like most users here that are having this issue are heavy users, like the app is crashing on trying to sync that many notes (I didn't have this issue when I had only a few hundred notes, but at 4,000 it's unusable)? I really really really don't want to go back to EN but I basically don't have a useable notes app on my iPhone?

Sep 25, 2017 1:01 PM in response to robert.burns

Hello robert.burns,

It sounds like your Notes app is not running properly since the recent update to iOS 11. I don't blame you for reaching out for help as Notes is a very useful app for a lot of users. We'd be happy to help get this working for you again. Have you checked to make sure that all your Notes are available when you access www.icloud.com from a computer?

If so, here's a few resources that can help:

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Please note that if you need to the Notes app can be removed and re-added as explained here:

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch

Remove a built-in app from your Home screen

1. On your iOS device, touch and hold the app lightly until it jiggles. If the app doesn't jiggle, make sure that you're not pressing too hard.
  2. Tap User uploaded file on the app, then tap Remove.
  3. Press the Home button to finish.

Take care!

Oct 28, 2017 5:57 AM in response to robert.burns

I also have the same issue since the very beginning of iOS 11 upgrade, which no subsequent upgrades have fixed. All my notes were saved on the iPhone, not iCloud, so I am now not only disabled to use such a usefull everyday app, but also I have lost access to the data it contained. I tried all possible ways of troubleshooting: soft/hard rebooting/resetting from backup the iPhone, resetting only settings on iPhone, removing&reinstalling the app. Notes crashes while opening, it freezes Settings app when trying to access its settings from it, no sharing to it is possible, it freezes the source app when trying to do so, etc. It only worked once when I reset iPhone as new device, ignoring my backup and losing all my data. If Apple does not fix it, this will remain the only way forward, hoping that I somehow extract notes from my backup with 3rd party tools. But even than I’ll lose the data in the password-locked notes. I wonder how many people must complain before Apple realises the magnitude of the issue and fixes it.

Nov 1, 2017 3:17 AM in response to robert.burns

I have the exact same issue as Robert. I use notes maybe 30-40 times a day and have never had any issues until I downloaded the newest update (Ibelieve 11.3) and it has basically rendered, by far the most important aspect of the phone (iPhone 7+ 256gb) unusable, and it having a seriously detrimental effect on my business. I have 1,000’s of notes on iCloud and stored locally in my laptop. This issue needs to be resolved, and it’s needs to be resolved quickly. Please advise at your earliest.

Asher Hardt

TheHardt.com

Nov 2, 2017 6:56 AM in response to scottfillmer

Thanks Scott, Not sure why this Apple says “Solved”, my Notes crashing continues, I upgraded to 11.1 on November 1st, 2017, now Notes has become practically unusable... its worse with 11.1 . I’m Switching over to Evernote as a stopgap until Apple figures this out, its stable enough to get me productive again. I was hoping iOS 11.1 would fix this. Good to know that iPhone 8 Plus has similar issues, in case I was stupid enough to think uohrading my recent iPhone 7 Plus 256GB to the iPhone 8 Plus 256gb. Apple doesnt seem to be listening to its most loyal Apple fans... iOS 11 has practically made my pre- iPhone 8 and X iPhone i’m productive!

Sep 26, 2017 9:07 AM in response to Alexm87

I have same issue that Robert has.

My notes on my iPad Pro keeps crashing after I upgraded to iOS11.

I have tried to reboot or reset my iPad, I also delete & re-install the Note, but the problem still not been solved.

My Notes created when I was deleting my old notes. After I tap the trash can icon several times (deleted serval notes), my Notes will crash for sure.

Any idea how to solve this problem? Is it a bug from iOS 11? Just wait for Apple to fix it in the future update?

Nov 1, 2017 3:49 AM in response to TheHardt

Hi Asher, I feel your pain. I have the identical 7 Plus as you do, and same frustration. Notes also has a significant impact on my day, these issues are also negativity impacting me. I am not happy with Apple these days, and have already put all my planned Apple purchases on hold. I am patiently waiting for the next update “hoping” it will fix my issues... but if not, this may be the new normal, which leaves us with some decisions to make... wait and pray, hesitantly start making plans to change and adapt or status quo, which isn’t viable. I am locked into the Apple tech garden (many many Apple devices including a significant iTunes library and investment and multiple: iPads, iPhones, AppleTV, iMac, MacBook Pro etc etc. etc.), but I was a Sony fan before Apple so I can eventually walk away, if Apple is taking its customers for granted, look what happened to Sony... AppleCare has offered to help with a complete restoration process, which requires a significant investment of time and a complete hassle with no guarantees it will fix the problem. I have little to no confidence in that at all, this all started with iOS 11 and subsequent updates, but I may have to try that restoration rebuild if the future updates don’t resolve these issues... for the time being I am locked in with Apple, but not near as loyal an Apple customer as I once was, all because of this iOS11 update and Notes issue. BTW, wrote this all in Microsoft Word for iOS, not a great solution… but Evernote could be? Let’s hope the next update(s) fix our issues.

Nov 2, 2017 6:46 AM in response to robert.burns

This is still a major issue for me as well. I moved my notes from Evernote to Apple Notes when iOS 11 came out because I love the update Apple made to the notes app but Evernote was also way too bloated and I've grown weary of keeping up with EN. I've tried Bear, Evernote, and all the various other apps out there for notes, Apple has integration that none of the others have, and you also can't get the notes from AN to another app very easily. The ability to nest and organize folders in notes now is a great solution, but not when the app crashes every time I open it?

Apple --- I have done everything short of deleting the app from my iPhone (which I am going to try next). All my notes are synced via iCloud and show on all my other devices, but when you try to use notes on my iPhone 8 Plus and iOS 11 it's basically impossible. It freezes on opening, it hangs on reopen, it locks up on edit. It's totally unusable at this point. Please make this app useable again, and soon.

Nov 5, 2017 1:20 AM in response to robert.burns

I have the same problem that everyone here is describing. It began on all my devices immediately after upgrading to iOS 11, and 11.1 does not fix it.

i have less than 1300 notes, and it doesn’t matter if a note as images or attachments; Apple Notes hangs for around 30 seconds frequently whilst editing notes. I have even seen this behavior in the share sheet of Safari when exporting to a note.

The only troubleshooting I can provide is that the hanging /crashing only seems to occur when editing an existing note, never when actually creating a note for the first time.

I dont want to have to switch away from Apple Notes (haging switched to Notes from Evernote). However as 11.1 did nothing to address this, I’m concerned this may be a major bug in iOS 11 that will just be ignored by Apple.

Nov 5, 2017 1:13 AM in response to robert.burns

Robert, I'm sorry that we're in the same, seemingly sinking ship. The "solutions" apple has set forth to you are not only a complete hassle and a massive time investment, but completely unacceptable as well. I've never been one of those "I deserve to get what I paid for" types. Having said that I buy these macbook, iphones etc, for 2 reasons; aesthetics and functionality, both of which have become integrated so deeply into my everyday life, it would be difficult to turn a different direction (I'm sure thats part of the game plan for apple, a smart one at that) I've always been able to depend on apple, that whenever a issue has arised in the past, there's an update in a couple days (max) and the problem is resolved. However, bottom line here is, this needs to be fixed on Apples end and on Apples time, not ours. Manually inputing my notes into another system would be an absolute nightmare (85% of them have multiple photos) I have no other recourse but to sit around and wait until apple has time to pay attention to us. I'm sure that once I fold and buy the iphone x the issue will be no more. Theyre going to have one **** of a quarter this upcoming year. Please let me know if you find a resolution, I will do the same. Last thing, I've moved half my note from my icloud to locally on macbook HD, nothing changed.

Nov 5, 2017 4:04 AM in response to TheHardt

Don’t succomb. I just took desperate measures and a gamble...I use my Notes for my work... so my lost productivity costs me time and money. My IPhone 7 Plus (which I loved!!!), was crashing with Notes so bad on Friday that rather than throw this perfectly fine iPhone (not the OS) at a wall, I relented and took a chance that a an “Hail Mary” upgrade to an 8 Plus 256 GB may resolve the Notes crashing issues... IT DIDNT!!! The guy at the Apple store wasn't aware of iOS 11 issues (?) listened to me vent about iOS 11 (it want his fault, so I wasnt rude to him, in fact I was quite defeated and despondent about my situation), my issues and my hail mary solution, he even offered to get the Apple store’s tech guys to fix the issue on my iPhone 7 Plus. I knew that trying to resolve onbthe iPhone end was just going to be an unintentional patronizing waste of my time, so I upgraded to the 8 Plus... nice phone and a better phone for value than the iPhone X. I digress, bottom line, the new phone didn’t solve the Notes issues! In line with your sinking ship anology... buying the new phone was like “rearranging deck chairs on the iOS 11 Titanic!!! Apple has to solve this onbthier end.

Nov 5, 2017 4:11 AM in response to alanmellerick

I feel your pain Alan!!! As TheHardt says, below we appear to be on this sinking iOS ship together. See my Notes iOS 11 upgrade fail below... I believe the only solution is on Apple’s end not ours. As a temporary measure, I slowly copied and pasted (as fast as the iOS crashes would let me) my most critical Notes to Evernote for the time being... not replacement for Nites or a perfect or long term solution, but less frustrating than the iOS crashing. Stay tuned...

Apple Notes keeps crashing in iOS11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.