Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS11 using so much storage

I upgraded my 6s (128 GB) to iOS11 to sync with the new watch and I noticed my phone running very slowly. I also got a notice that my phone storage was full. When I checked the storage I noticed the system is using 49 GB of storage. Prior to the update, I had about 65 GB of storage available. Unfortunately I can’t get any details on what in the system is taking up all my storage but I didn’t have this issue until I upgraded OS. How can the system functions be taking up so much space on my phone?

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 5:59 PM

54 replies

Sep 25, 2017 5:28 PM in response to margotb822

Hi margotb822,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that since updating to iOS 11 you're experiencing some latency and you've received a storage alert when prior to updating you had approximately 65GB of storage available. I also see that you're seeing "System" storage consuming 49GB. I know how important it is for your iPhone to run as expected and I'm happy to assist you. You didn't mention if you had restarted your iPhone since noticing this, if you haven't already follow these steps to restart and check your storage again: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're still seeing the discrepancy after restarting, check to ensure you have a recent backup: Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you need to create a backup, follow these steps: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then, use the guide below to reinstall iOS 11 to your iPhone. Please be sure to follow step four and choose to "Update" to prevent data loss during this process.
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once iOS 11 has been reinstalled, check your storage both in iTunes and on your iPhone to see if it is reporting differently: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Let me know what you find.

Warmest Regards.

Apr 2, 2018 7:41 PM in response to margotb822

I have the solution! You need to restore your phone using iTunes! A previous comment was close, but Apple Support had me do it slightly different.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restartit with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose RESTORE.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Restore completes, unplug your phone and set up your device.

Dec 5, 2017 2:05 PM in response to margotb822

I ssue solved,

I

had the same issue, where my iphone 7 running on iOS 11 was showing system files about 21.59GB. I was unable to backup on ICloud as not enough storage, I deleted everything for the cloud, pictures, other devices backups.. still no luck with back ups..

after many attempts for backups I managed to free enough space on my laptop to backup my device. Then I restored it directly from iTunes, then used the backup files to restore data.

What I discovered was that WhatsApp was the issue, it was having a bug and showing all WhatsApp data (pictures, videos and text) all were listed under system.

Then I went to WhatsApp and deleted all the unnecessary conversations in the chats, all media and there it was... boom.

Storage came down to less than 5GB.

Backup working perfectly fine..

Hope this note is helpfull..

Jan 3, 2018 7:03 AM in response to scrabble1

Huye, you guys don’t seem to get it , Apple is doing this purposely ir order to make your iPhone obsolete. It’s also happening to me, on my iPhone 6s 16GB , the system uses around 7GB and I barely can use 4GB. They do this in order to make us ‘customers’ buy the new iPhones.It’s all about being unethical in order to make their business grow. We cannot do anything about it unless we as a community complain about it and get it over the media.

There are a few things you may do which will give your storage back temporarily:

1) reset your iPhone (clicking home button and sleep button)

2) make a back up copy with of your data and restore your iPhone on iTunes (this works but after certain it will be as before),then back up the copy.

This works and will give your storage back temporarily but as I said before Apple are golddiggers and see us as walking wallets. They want to make previous devices useless to buy the new ones. I have evidence , they did exactly the same thfing to the older iPhones, deliberately slowing them down so people were forced to buy new ones.

Jan 3, 2018 7:05 AM in response to scrabble1

Hey, you guys don’t seem to get it , Apple is doing this purposely ir order to make your iPhone obsolete. It’s also happening to me, on my iPhone 6s 16GB , the system uses around 7GB and I barely can use 4GB. They do this in order to make us ‘customers’ buy the new iPhones.It’s all about being unethical in order to make their business grow. We cannot do anything about it unless we as a community complain about it and get it over the media.

There are a few things you may do which will give your storage back temporarily:

1) reset your iPhone (clicking home button and sleep button)

2) make a back up copy with of your data and restore your iPhone on iTunes (this works but after certain it will be as before),then back up the copy.

This works and will give your storage back temporarily but as I said before Apple are golddiggers and see us as walking wallets. They want to make previous devices useless to buy the new ones. I have evidence , they did exactly the same thing to the older iPhones, deliberately slowing them down so people were forced to buy new ones.

Jan 17, 2018 12:13 PM in response to margotb822

Yeh I have the same problem I installed iOS on my iPad when it first came out and I checked how much storage it was taking up and it said 2gb so I thought that was ok but in the past two weeks I have been getting your storage is full alerts and I went into settings to check what it was and it said the system was taking up 19gb of storage and I don’t know what to do

iOS11 using so much storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.