Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making automatic clickable links in Mail and Notes

Hi!

When I write an URL in TextEdit, it becomes a clickable link when I insert a space after the address.

However, this is not the case in Mail and Notes. How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Chris.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 9:11 AM

20 replies

Sep 27, 2017 1:45 PM in response to Krissserz

Hi,

Mail.

Edit Menu > Add Link.

If the Text is highlighted then that text becomes the Link otherwise the link shows in full.

I don't use Notes.

User uploaded file

9:45 pm Wednesday; September 27, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Sep 28, 2017 7:28 AM in response to JJHeckman

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I simply do Copy/Paste.

In some cases, the links work, in some others, the links don't, no matter if there are already some white lines below the link.

Here is an example of the http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-oxymorons.html link not working:

User uploaded file

Here is an example of the same link working:

User uploaded file

In the above example, I made sure there were some white lines below the pasted links.

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2017 12:28 PM in response to Krissserz

Hi,

I have an iMac running Sierra as my main computer and a MacBook Pro running High Sierra right next to it most of th time.

I compared the settings between the two.

Despite the Mac User Account on both being the one from the iMac the settings once High Sierra was installed seem to have changed, hence the Off in High Sierra and listing that it was in the Mail app.

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points

User uploaded file

8:28 pm Thursday; October 26, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Oct 27, 2017 12:44 PM in response to tygb

Hi,

I was agreeing with you.

They don't work in Compose.

In Earlier versions I had seen them go blue and presumed they would work.

It was only checking for this Thread I found that the Default of Off in High Sierra seemed to have overridden the settings that were on Sierra on the same computer before update.

My Mac User Account has been migrated from OS 9 and OS X 10.2 on my G4 through various OSes until Leopard (OS X 10.5) to an MacBook Pro 1,1 that I am not using at the moment that got to OS X 10.5.8 and then to the iMac running Sierra and then the new MacBook Pro running High Sierra now.

It is only at High Sierra I have noticed the change but even then this thread was the prompt to check.

I am finding that many settings that have worked for years across several computers now have to be checked in High Sierra.

User uploaded file

8:44 pm Friday; October 27, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Sep 26, 2017 2:52 PM in response to Krissserz

I'm not sure how those links came about in your notes but I am guessing it has to do with the way you put them there.

For me, if I type or copy/paste a link and press space or return, it will then make it a link. If however, there are already some white lines below and I decide to use the arrow keys after I c/p the link it will become text.

Oct 26, 2017 7:55 AM in response to Krissserz

Open a link in the url bar select it ( command and A ) , copy it ( press command and C ) on the keyboard , then open mail application , compose a mail ( command + N ) , fill up the mail address and in the main body of subject paste the link ( press command and V ) , it will be in the text form , press space bar so that it will be converted into a link .

You can not click the link while it is in compose mail window , send the mail to yourself for the time being or if you send to second person he can click the link , ( when it appears in the inbox , click that link it will open ) .

Making automatic clickable links in Mail and Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.