Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couldn't find 'All My File' on Finder's sidebar

I updated to High Sierra but I couldn't find All My File on Finder's sidebar, There's no such icon in finder preference neither. I found this shortcut is very helpful but why Apple delete it?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 3:49 PM

I didn't even notice it was gone. Never found it useful.

You can create your own search folder.

With Finder Prefs set to start a search in current folder,

Select your Home folder and type cmd-F

In the criteria, Option-Click on the + button.

Delete the first criteria just leaving the Any of the following are true

Change the first item under Any to Kind is Document

Add additional criteria under Any and set Kind to whatever else you want .

Save it and have it shown in Sidebar.

User uploaded file

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2017 3:49 PM in response to Martinano

I didn't even notice it was gone. Never found it useful.

You can create your own search folder.

With Finder Prefs set to start a search in current folder,

Select your Home folder and type cmd-F

In the criteria, Option-Click on the + button.

Delete the first criteria just leaving the Any of the following are true

Change the first item under Any to Kind is Document

Add additional criteria under Any and set Kind to whatever else you want .

Save it and have it shown in Sidebar.

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2017 6:56 PM in response to VaibhavMT

When you first create a search, there is one criteria listed.

At the right of any criteria line is a + and a - button. If you hold down Option key (labeled "alt" on non-US keyboards), the + turns into …

Click that button and you will be able to make a group of criteria that are either "All of the following" (boolean AND)

or "Any of the following" (boolean OR).

In this case, you want to include many different types of files, so you want it to find files if "Any" of the criteria lines match.

When you do that, the first criteria remains, so delete it if it is not appropriate for your particular set of criteria.

Nov 25, 2017 9:21 AM in response to Barney-15E

Just because you and others didn't find it useful, doesn't mean the rest of us thought it should go away.

I used "All My Files" every day, several times a day. It was a handy way to find files that weren't "recent." I miss it very much. Apple is often too quick to remove something people liked and used, just because a few users found it redundant. Please, Apple, restore "All My Files," a link SOME PEOPLE found useful.

Dec 9, 2017 6:41 AM in response to Barney-15E

I spend most of may time on Windows trying to find files that I think I know where I stored them. I never have a problem on macOS.

I get hives just thinking of opening up the Parallels side of my 'puter looking for stuff in the Windows C drive.

For those awaiting the all the files feature from Apple that may or may not come: in the meantime follow Barneys' suggestions

(see sample pic below of searches you can create)

User uploaded file

Or just use Spotlight, command + space bar and just type in

.doc

or

.ppt

or

.xl

Mash the return key. You can get results dating back to 1832 BC or thereabouts

Nov 16, 2017 3:37 PM in response to Murddock

Murddock wrote:

This option really dont work like the old "all My files" 😟

No, it doesn't. Nor was it meant to. I hated All My Files as it dumped a bunch of useless trash in that folder.

My example was just an example of how to create something useful to you, specific to your needs.

You can tailor the search folder to what works for you.

See Sparkleberry's post. You can see a small subset of the myriad options available.

If someone has the search criteria for "All My Files," then maybe they will post it and you can replicate it exactly.

Nov 18, 2017 3:47 PM in response to Martinano

I liked the 'all my files' as it would always show the most recent things I scanned. I often scan documents and then have to email them or upload them for submission. Having 'all my files' was very useful for me as I didn't have to dig through all my folders to find each document.

'Recents' does not work for me, for some reason. It is showing me documents from yesterday, but not the pages I scanned an hour ago.

I tried making a custom folder (as per Barney's post) - I got something similar to 'all my files' however, it still does not show pages that I scanned today. The most recent items are from yesterday. Can anyone help?

Nov 23, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Barney-15E

This doesn’t really help me. I’m a writer and used to use All my Files to go back into Chapters and stories I am writing and modifying. I would have thought that Recents would show all the files I had used during the day but it doesn’t it only shows the files modified before the High Sierra update. Has the upgrade changed the files I have used since? The name Recents indicates that you should be able to find your recent work but this is not the case

Nov 23, 2017 9:07 AM in response to Mominmauritius

This doesn’t really help me.

Recents uses different metadata to determine what is included. If that metadata is not set, then the file doesn't show up. It should get set when you open the file in Finder.

It really doesn't matter if this doesn't help, there is no "All My Files" anymore. As Recents doesn't work as anyone expects, you'll have to create your own Search folder as I described above. Add criteria to make it work the way you want. Sort or arrange the search folder by Date Modified and you should see your most recent files at the top of that search folder, if you added sufficient search criteria to get the file types you want to see.

Couldn't find 'All My File' on Finder's sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.