Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling all 2016 LG OLED owners!

Do all that own a 2016 LG oled receive Dolby Vision @60hz for the atv 4K?

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 5:03 PM

33 replies

Nov 9, 2017 6:07 AM in response to salilfrombrooklyn

Visit this page simple! About 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision on your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

To confirm which video mode your Apple TV 4K is using, go to Settings > Video and Audio. From here, you can manually select a display format. Once in Video menu, you'll be presented scores of options. The ATV will now (post update) remember these settings upon re-start. My circuit board in my Foundation supports 4K ONLY at 30 FPS (Hz) so That is where I need to be to pull HDT 4K. Not perfect but good enough and can always change back to 1080P HDR and allow the ATV to upscale to 4K. Hard to tell the difference.

Good luck

Sep 27, 2017 9:51 AM in response to Spanishbladerunner

A few questions:

1. I do not follow why DV above 30hz does not work with the E6. It must have something to do with the DV standard. A TV that specs to 120hz should then also state that for DV max refresh is 30hz.

2. Strangely my E6 does not work with HDR 60 hz either. Apple says it’s because I’m not using a ultra high speed hdmi cable. I have 2017 Amazon hdmi 25 ft cables behind the wall and they work fine with all other sources including 4K blue ray in hdr, DV and 3D that I understand uses high refresh rates.

3. For my usage which so far is exclusively movies, DV and HDR in 24 hz produce great pictures- however should I be manually switching between DV and HDR to get the best picture? So far I’m on DV only.

4. Once in a while I use the ESPN app to view sports - a high ghee refresh rate would be optimum there.

5. What is the advantage of viewing Netflix HDR and DV content through the Apple TV rather than through the TVs built in App. I have not done an A/B review but the Apple TV Netflix content performance is great. But then no complaints with the TVs direct feed either. For Netflix content.

6. I have 200 mb internet service but I may get 30-40 on the Apple TV in terms of Wi-Fi speed. An iPad next to the Apple TV gets much higher speed. Any fixes?

Thanks

Oct 12, 2017 10:25 AM in response to Rjcam0341

I have the OLED 65EF9500 which was produced late 2015 and sold as "flagship" model until March of 2016. I purchased ATV 4K over the weekend and discovered the hard way that my preamp 4K circuit board was built out to conform to the prevailing protocol at the time - HDMI 1.4 and while fully 4K compliant, the pre-pro itself will not support 60Hz. When I change the settings in the ATV to run at 4K HDR @ 30 Hz, NO PROBLEM.

What is UNBELIEVABLE to me is that the VIP department at LG does not KNOW if the TV itself will natively support 60Hz. I can't imagine why it would NOT. If so, I would simply reconfigure my system to plug the HDMI cable directly into my TV as I already have an optical line running out of the TV to my Krell preamp. Does ANYONE know out there if these sets WILL or will NOT support 60 HZ?

All that said, the picture is stunning at HDR 30Hz and based on what I have read it is very hard to discern the difference between 30 and 60 UNLESS one is viewing sports or fast action movies OR playing video games. I believe the difference to be nominal for most people but naturally, we all want the best video we can get 🙂

Oct 12, 2017 4:33 PM in response to Rjcam0341

It appears that yes, they do, the even the VIP reps at LG are relatively devoid of knoweldge regarding this tech iCal conundrum. I spoke with an agent today, in fact who promised to get back to me and , as usual, did not. But I found this, and it points to YES, most likely. http://4k.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-refresh-rates-in-one-post- 15371-2/

You see, when it comes to the video presented on your 4K TV’s screen, details beyond those already in the source video itself can’t actually be added to the picture by the TV display itself. Furthermore, for the vast majority of native 4K and other movie, TV show and streamed sports or documentary content you’re going to watch on your 4K TV from any source, HD or 4K, the actual refresh rate of the source footage itself is never going to be greater than 60Hz, at last so far as far as content transmission technology is concerned.

With some footage, especially movie content from film reel sources, the frame rate equivalent of refresh rate might even be 24 frames per second, which are upconverted to 30fps for TV viewing and then shuffled around in certain ways so that they display at the equivalent of a 60fps frame rate that will match the 60Hz refresh of most digital content.

4K TVs on the other hand offer actual, totally real native refresh rates that in the vast majority of cases are either set at 60Hz or 120Hz (60 or 120 images, or frames per second in essence). With older HD TVs, the common refresh rate tended more towards 60Hz or less (with many models offering 50Hz real refresh rates) but because 4K TVs are widely considered to be a sort of premium home entertainment technology, 60Hz quickly became the hallmark of only the more economical or smaller ultra HD models and pretty much all premium 4K TVs from every major brand now offer native 120Hz refresh.

I can tell you that I know for certain, 100%, that in my current configuration by which I run my HDMI out from the ATV 4K to my Krell Foundation, I CANNOT view at 60Hz. But I CAN successfully use the “4K HDR 30Hz” setting without issue. My Krell tech advised I connect directly to the TV to bypass their circuit board which was built at a time to support the only platform available at the time when HDMI 1.4 was the dominant technology. It supports 4K at 30Hz but not 60Hz. You’d of course need an optical line running out from your TV if, like me, your pre-pro resides at the center of your system. As for me, I don’t know that I’d see the difference. It’s hard to discern a visual difference between 30 and 60Hz unless one is really into gaming, fast action sports and some action movies. It even at that, based on what I’ve read and my experiences the disparity is nominal.

Oct 15, 2017 9:25 AM in response to Rjcam0341

I do not have an 2016 LG OLED TV but a 2016 SUHD LG LED TV 75UH8500. I am also getting 4K HDR at 60hz and 4K Dolby Vision only at 30hz or less. Is it confirmed that this is a hardware limitation on the TV side and we will just have to live with it?

Picture Spec :

ULTRA HD (3840x2160) Yes

Refresh Rate TruMotion 240 (Refresh Rate 120Hz)

Quantum Display Yes

IPS Panel Yes

Super Mastering Engine Yes

HDR Super w/ Dolby Vision™ Yes

Tru Black Panel Yes

ULTRA Luminance Yes

4K Upscaler Yes

Local Dimming Yes

Oct 15, 2017 4:15 PM in response to lukegolf

Yes, there is not a workaround for hardware limitations in the TV itslef.. Apple TV can only support wha ti sprovided by the TV maker. At least you were able to get affirmation from Samsung, which is more than I was able to get from LG 🙂 Often times you'll need to get your sales rep involved to contact the RSM's who generally know more than your standard level tech support rep from the TV makers. 🙂 It may be that Dolby Vision is itself not supported on frequencies > than 30Hz. But if the picture looks great which it likely does, why not just enjoy and no sweat the small stuff? All of us want to max out of course but I have this old cliche I invoke from time to time: when s good good enough, or in this case, when is great great enough?

Oct 17, 2017 3:47 PM in response to Rjcam0341

I think the problem is the constant framerate and HDR/DV setting of the AppleTV. I find this decision of theirs extremely annoying. Other players would switch from non-HDR 60Hz GUI to a for instance 24Hz DV for the movie when you press play. This decision to have the AppleTV stuck at a specific setting so the TV doesnt need to switch modes while going back and forth between different types of content and menues is the real issue. I think DV BluRay players work because the BluRay disc is encoded in a 24hz so the movie works fine. When you press stop on the player the player menus feel snappy because they display at a higher framerate sacrificing HDR/DV for the menus. Having the AppleTV stuck on 24-30 frames to get DV makes the menus very frustrating to use. It's like operating an old 386 computer...

I hope they make an update to enable content aware switching.

Oct 17, 2017 4:10 PM in response to atli steinn

For what it is worth I confirmed via the LG rep that my 2016 OLED does NOT support HDR @60Hz. 30Hz ONLY. So when I stream from the Smart TV the TV can ONLY express 4K HDR at 30 Hz. I suppose there is some relief knowing this to be the case as there is no point bypassing my Krell Foundation pre-processor which is itself limited to 30Hz. So no benefit going directly to TV with the ATV. I can honestly say that the picture is stellar running 4K HDR @30 Hz. No complaints so far.

I DO wish that Apple would fix their Netflix App which does not display tiles in a way that the previous ATV 4th Gen did, or, for that matter, My OLED or my Roku. Apple also needs to add support for YouTube 4K AND Dolby Digital 5.1

Oct 27, 2017 6:56 PM in response to lynchm1975

I agree the Customer Service staff at LG is largely clueless and useless. And for OLED customers like me they have a dedicated “VIP“ department. Just as useless. They promise to engage engineer and get back and never do. Never. In any case, what confuses many of us is the VIDEO reference here to Hz which is typically reserved to define audio frequency ranges, i.e. 20 Hz - 20,000 KHz. In the world of video Hz = FPS.

lynchm1975 had a good post and pointed to his 2016 LG that ostensibly supports 60 Hz. LG could not verify in my particular case. My set was manufactured late 2015 but was sold as a current model in March of 2016. My dealer verified via a factory LG rep that my EF9500 OLED does NOT support 60Hz. That said, the picture is brilliant and no complaints but WOULD be nice to not have to consistently re-set my settings. They fall out and should be remembered by the ATV device but fall out. Furthermore, I know for sure my Krell Foundation 4K board does not support 4K at 60 Hz. When designing the board the standard protocol at the time was HDMI 1:4. This HDMI format can also serve to be HDCP compliant which is all that’s required to support 4K. Obviously the problems (for me) occur with HDR at 60Hz. But again, the good news is that ATV does handily support HDR at 30Hz. :-)

Nov 9, 2017 6:38 AM in response to salilfrombrooklyn

If you enter your model # on the LG website you should be able to download a PDF manual that should provide the specs for you. In my case speaking with LG support even THEY were unable to confirm if the TV supported 30HZ or 60Hz. They don't know. Ultimately, my DEALER was able to obtain via the LG rep that the TV apparently runs at 30Hz.

I suspect your model if built late 2015 likely has HDR 10 support. You would know if you have HDR support as a banner pops up in upper right of the TV announcing "HDR OBN" then quickly fades away. I would also visit the Settings in the TV to verify you have all of the appropriate settings selected to permit "Best possible" display settings.

Good luck

Nov 9, 2017 7:01 AM in response to bobsfbay

Thank you again. I had my TV installed by an AV company during a home renovation and they had configured the TV for best picture. Unfortunately, I reset the settings in an effort to resolve my Apple TV issues. I believe there are calibration sites to help maximize the picture quality. Of note, when I select the Ultra HD option in advanced picture settings, the apple TV will not work, I have to turn this off to use the Apple TV. I am skeptical that the problem is in the HDMI cable, especially for an older model.

Nov 9, 2017 7:46 AM in response to salilfrombrooklyn

I have the same model and it supports HDR10. To be sure you maximize TV video capabilities go to settings as per page 28 of the PDF manual and check this:

However, if the device doesn’t support it, it may not work properly. In that case, connect the device to a different HDMI port or change the TV’s ULTRA HD Deep Color setting to Off.
- This feature is available on certain models which are supported ULTRA HD Deep Color only.

(Home) (Settings) (Advanced) Picture HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color

- On Support 4 K @ 60 Hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0)

- Off Support 4 K @ 60 Hz (4:2:0)

So the TV itself, CONTRARY to what the LG rep stated DOES support 60Hz

Cheers,

Calling all 2016 LG OLED owners!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.