Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra bricked my iMac .. com.apple.DiskManagement error 0

I'm stuck in a loop. Installation in progress then it freezes prompting a restart. The restart start the process all over only to freeze again. I'm on my third try... am I off to see a Genius?

com.apple.DiskManagement error 0

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), installation

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 7:08 PM

56 replies

Oct 12, 2017 3:45 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Just tried to update my mother’s MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, early 2015) from 10.12.6 to High Sierra and hit exactly this problem.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Luckily i made a Time Machine Backup just before attempting the update. Restoring as we speak.

But talk about a poor experience. I’m assuming I have the latest High Sierra installer as well, because I downloaded it from the Mac App Store yesterday as well. I’m a bit loathe to try again, but I will just out of curiosity, just to see if it was a fluke error or not.

The Version on the downloaded “Install macOS High Sierra” package that I used (via Get Info) is 13.0.66, and creation date is 3 October 2017 at 4:59am

Sep 25, 2017 7:56 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

I was stuck in this loop myself. When I got to the screen that says it couldn't be installed and to restart, I went into utilities (menu that eventually appears at the top) and ran first aid on my main disk (not the partition, the whole disk). It showed no problems with the disk. After this I quit the utilities, and it started rebooting. It was stuck on the black progress bar for a long time, before it finally calculated how long it would take to install. In other words, even though it said it couldn't install it, it did. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Sep 26, 2017 5:31 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Wow.... I've done big cats, big waves, mountains and the fully baked High Sierra is the first install ever to brick a computer of mine. 24 hours after making my first attempt, I cannot get past 43 minutes to go before it gives me the "disk error 0".

This was a very full terabyte drive... There was only 60 Gig available when I started. The first install attempts "appear" to have consumed that space per Disk Utility. I've since dumped a lot of content ($40 Apple Thunderbolt cable purchase to make that happen) from the drive and now have over 200Gig available. It doesn't matter- the installer will not proceed and disk utility says there's nothing wrong.

I suppose it this was bound to happen one day, I guess this is the day. I don't have a solution other than I suspect to format the drive and then restore - wont. that. be. fun.

FWIW, this is a Mid 2011 that serves up music and sometimes does work. Outside of being chock full of stuff, its was typical mac solid. I suppose the file change for this legacy drive is choking it but someone smarter than me will have to prove that. Drat.

I have the restore to look forward to. Won't. That. Be. Fun.

Sep 26, 2017 5:55 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Hi yes I’m getting exactly the same error message as you. Same processs, 40odd mind estimated, recalculates time left, 40 mins then hangs with High Sierra cannot be installed. Restart.

I’ve rang Apple who took me through, various recovery procedures but to no avail.

I’ve even tried installing HS on an external usb hd, but not having that either. I don’t want to loose what I have on the internal he as I have no backup, yes I know my fault that.

But how do I get my Mac back working again as pre Hs install!???

Dave

Sep 26, 2017 6:06 PM in response to macprodave

Was told falling back to Sierra is not an option from Apple Tech Support.... the core of that bootable drive is gone. Hope you've got some of the key data in Dropbox or icloud. (empathy not snark)

I'm about to shut the machine off and (not a great strategy) hope Apple releases a dot 1 tomorrow or the next day.

I don't want to reformat the drive and restore....

Sep 27, 2017 3:56 AM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Ditto mid 2011 iMac bricked and stuck in install fail loop with com.apple.DiskManagement error 0. Managed to recover from time machine backup on external drive but that's a day and a half without my iMac that I could have done without. . . off topic but I also encountered a problem with opening an xls file on my iPhone on iOS 11 that opened fine on iOS 10 - symptom was major heating of the phone and battery drained to 15% in about 5 minutes. Come on Apple, sort it out!

Sep 27, 2017 4:47 AM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Obviously conserving your data is most important. You need at least Time Machine backup and if possible an external bootable clone as well. Carbon Copy Cloner is one well known app for this.

If you also copy the High Sierra (HS) installer on to the clone disk, it can be used to erase, repair, reformat, reinstall and migrate back, your system.

Booting from outside your system and running Disk Utility (DU) "First Aid" from there, may solve the disk error problem, where using the Recovery Partition is limited. By the way, in the DU View menu, select "Show all Devices", and run the first Aid on each volume shown. The main disk often passes ok with errors needing to be fixed on the OS volume itself.

If you have not used APFS and your HDD's are still with HFS+, erasing and reformatting may not be required and the disk may repair ok.

If you cannot now access your computer, maybe a friend's clone could be used for the repairs and running the installer again. Unless you actually erase the disk, your user account should still be be there.

Sep 27, 2017 6:44 AM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

I had the same failure. Each reboot just went right back to the installer - no way to just boot back into Sierra. Installing from recovery mode didn't work either, same error.

After a long day of frustration, I gave up and reinstalled Sierra from a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately, in its great wisdom Apple seems to have made Sierra impossible to find. Luckily I was able to find a friend who still had the installer. But this did work and I have my Mac back again.

My system is a late 2012 Mac Mini. I would like to upgrade to High Sierra, but won't try again until I have some time on my hands to repeat the Sierra installation (if needed).

Sep 27, 2017 6:52 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

I'm on my third attempt at putting High Sierra on my 27" Mid 2010 iMac (trying to upgrade from the latest Sierra 10.12.6. So far the disk (50% full so 500Gb available) rumbles away for 40 - 45 minutes and then says com.apple.DiskManagement error 0 which - as an error message is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

I (fortunately?) still have the macOS 10.12.6 installer and I have created a bootable USB to use with my iMac. So far so good. I have yet to get the error 0 message but I am lokking at some of the comments here where people have lost all of their applications. Time will tell. I will update tomorrow!

Sep 27, 2017 9:01 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Hooray, my strategy with reinstalling 10.12.6 from a bootable USB worked OK so now at least I have my 27" iMac back (with no apparent software loss). Now that I know that I can restore the 10.12.6 OS I will try to upgrade my other Macs to 10.13 but I reckon to wait a few days to see if Apple read these posts and, more imporrtantly, do something about it!

Sep 27, 2017 10:07 PM in response to eventhedogshaveipods

Same issue with my iMac 2011.

From the log file:

Sep 27 22:34:55 mars OSInstaller[549]: Unmounting target for conversion

Sep 27 22:35:27 mars storagekitd[550]: Failed to unmount disk0s2 because DiskArb timed out. Will retry.

Sep 27 22:35:58 mars storagekitd[550]: Failed to unmount disk0s2 because DiskArb timed out. Will retry.

Sep 27 22:36:29 mars storagekitd[550]: Failed to unmount disk0s2 because DiskArb timed out. Will retry.

Sep 27 22:37:00 mars storagekitd[550]: Failed to unmount disk0s2 because DiskArb timed out. Will retry.

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars OSInstaller[549]: OSIInstallElement <OSIConvertToAPFSElement: 0x7fddb6ffbff0> errored out:Error Domain=com.apple.DiskManagement Code=0 "(null)" UserInfo={TimedOut=true, Target=disk0s2, Action=Unmount}

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars OSInstaller[549]: Evaluating 1 disks

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars OSInstaller[549]: Evaluating SKDisk { BSD Name: disk0s2 Mount point: Not Mounted Role: kSKDiskRoleLegacyMacData Type: kSKDiskTypeHFS }

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars storagekitd[550]: storagekitd: copyDiskForPath returned nil, error: -69808

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars storagekitd[550]: storagekitd: copyDiskForPath returned nil, error: -69878

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars OSInstaller[549]: ------- Install Failed -------

Sep 27 22:37:56 mars OSInstaller[549]: Operation: Convert to APFS failed, Failure Reason: Error Domain=com.apple.DiskManagement Code=0 "(null)" UserInfo={TimedOut=true, Target=disk0s2, Action=Unmount}

Sep 27, 2017 11:14 PM in response to schneim

I saw that in my log, too. I think it's trying - and failing - to convert our disk drives to APFS, but that's only supposed to happen if it's an SSD. Mine is a hard drive. Instead of realizing it should bypass that, it seems to give up and abort with an error message. It appears to me that the installer isn't recognizing hard drives (as opposed to SSDs) on older Macs.

High Sierra bricked my iMac .. com.apple.DiskManagement error 0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.