Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant play music through USB iOS11

Hi Guys,

updated my iphone 7 plus to iOS11, but now I cant play music through the usb to both my car and stereo dock. The phone will charge, but music will only play through the phone. Ive tried all the usual resets, tried songs through apple music and stored songs, but to no avail. is there any way to fix this?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11, null

Posted on Sep 25, 2017 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2017 8:05 PM

I've had this bug with previous phones. Here's the issue. You need to have at least one song stored on your phone for your car to fully recognize your phone as an audio source. So go to iTunes and download a single song to your phone. Now connect your phone to your car using USB and let the car connect to the phone. All your other audio (YouTube, Spotiy, etc) should work fine. It took me forever to figure this out.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2017 8:05 PM in response to xzibit_007

I've had this bug with previous phones. Here's the issue. You need to have at least one song stored on your phone for your car to fully recognize your phone as an audio source. So go to iTunes and download a single song to your phone. Now connect your phone to your car using USB and let the car connect to the phone. All your other audio (YouTube, Spotiy, etc) should work fine. It took me forever to figure this out.

Sep 27, 2017 2:39 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi becky_s22,

Thanks for the reply, however Apple has once again failed to see the issue it has created and passed the blame elsewhere. The problem didn’t exist until ios11, so consumers shouldn’t have to be forced to go back and update firmware on many different devices because Apple has made an error they won’t acknowledge. Looking at the support pages and other forums, this seems to be a consistent issue with Apple not fixing it, which is very poor to say the least. I just cancelled my Apple Music subscription and will soon buy a Samsung, I won’t have to update everything else I own just to play my music. Sorry to be blunt but us consumers are tired of being forced to go the extra mile due to errors made by Apple.

Ios11.0.1 was no fix either, another waste of time and data!

Oct 26, 2017 8:40 PM in response to xzibit_007

I had the same problem but now its fixed!
I called apple and they advised me to go into iphone settings - general - reset - reset all settings - and say yes to the prompts. It doesn't delete and messages or photos, music etc. but you will have to re-pair your phone with your car and wi-fi etc.

It literally just worked for me so try that xzibit_007!

Ps. I have an Iphone 7 and using Uconnect (Jeep) sound system if that's relevant. Let me know if it works for you!

Sep 26, 2017 2:06 PM in response to xzibit_007

Hello xzibit_007!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see that after updating your iPhone to iOS 11, you can't play music through your car via USB and your stereo dock. It's important to make sure that you can listen to music in your car when you want, so I'm happy to help you get this issue resolved.

I suggest trying the steps in this support article: Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo , specifically:

6. Install any firmware updates for your car stereo.

It's always good to check for updates from the car and stereo dock manufacturers when a new iOS version is released, especially since this just started after you updated to iOS 11.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Kind Regards.

Nov 19, 2017 6:26 AM in response to xzibit_007

Hi everyone,

I had this exact same problem with my iPhone 6s after updating to 11.1.1. When I plugged my phone through USB, My Fiat 500 would show the song playing on the radio screen, time to go and everything but I got no sound.

Then suddenly, after many tryouts during a period of about two weeks, everything went back to normal... I never got any update on the phone or, that I know of, in the car.

Nov 25, 2017 8:07 PM in response to xzibit_007

Did you ever find a resolution for this? I have an 8 plus on lastest version of 11 and suddenly cannot play any music in my 2013 Kia. It says it doesn’t recognize the media connection. Beyond frustrating and couldn’t be worse timing as I have an upcoming road trip. Is there a work around? I don’t have Bluetooth. I also have a bug with the Amazon app among other glitches... Apple please fix these bugs.

Dec 1, 2017 1:33 PM in response to SaNdSuKkA

This exactly did the trick for me. My iPhone X played fine but my mom’s 8 plus didn’t. Downloaded the music app (we’d deleted because she didn’t use it) but it still didn’t recognize her Audible books. As soon as I bought and downloaded one song everything, including Audible worked perfectly! Best $1.29 I’ve ever spent.

Cant play music through USB iOS11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.