Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login after High Sierra Update

After booting (even in safe mode), entering the password for my account only leads me towards a login progress bar that gets stuck at ~3/4 mark before popping the login prompt again, only this time, my password is NOT accepted. Help.

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 4:00 PM

FileVault was not the culprit.

After connecting it to my enterprise LAN, it went through.

No access to my company domain name server and/or network drive apparently blocked the process.

Never had this problem before - odd.

29 replies

Oct 10, 2017 7:45 AM in response to AppleJoe

These responses really **** people off. This happened after an update that Apple pushed... surely the user would know if they had file vault on BEFORE the update. I am having this same problem. I do not have file vault. I just installed an update to high sierra 10.13, and now I can't do a dang thing. I put in my password and it goes back to the user login screen... EVERY TIME. I can select guest, but once in there, no apps launch. I can go into system preferences but the second I click anything it shuts down. Safari will launch until you try to type something. So right now I cannot login to my mac all because of an update. Can someone post a reply that does not require me to spend the next 12 hours watching Sierra reinstall and then another 12 hours restoring my data?

Oct 10, 2017 3:23 PM in response to benoasan

Typical response from Apple, showing they did not read the question in full, offering the incorrect solution and never following up. Apple products are great, but I swear they're just not up to the task for Enterprise. Everything is centered on personal users. Support for real issues in enterprise environments seems almost nonexistent.

So now we have two down laptops, including my own MacBook Pro which is a real problem, as I'm the Sys Admin for our company and there's a lot on there I now cannot access. All I wanted was to download macOS Server! App Store required an OS update for that (!!!), which hosed my laptop.

Now I have a second laptop that's dead for a user that JUST STARTED, and now cannot work. We had a third laptop in our company that the help desk kid just reinstalled her OS to fix. This is NOT A SOLUTION. Reinstalling an OS to fix a bug that Apple is certainly aware of is not a solution! I've seen people posting articles dating back a couple years with this same issue, and no resolution has been found.

This has existed since the Betas apparently, and was not fixed in the final release. Obviously a LOT of people experience this issue - three in one month in our company alone (the only three that updated to High Sierra), and we don't have more than 20 Macs. Countless articles on the Internet from others.

In my case, this issue happens even when the Macs are plugged into a docking station, which is plugged into physical Ethernet. Not having Ethernet ports, I can't plug in directly. I've also tried local logins. Though we use Centrify for Active Directory management, which caches credentials locally so you can log in anywhere. Is this issue related to local / network logins in any way??

Is there a resolution yet!?!?! Apple needs to take responsibility here, admit there's an issue, and post a fix! If I have to reinstall the OS on every laptop, I'm going to lose DAYS of time reinstalling everything. Again, this is not a fix.

Oct 12, 2017 8:33 PM in response to AppleJoe

I have this same problem and can confirm that yes it’s not FileVault. I just spent the whole day at the Genius Bar with one of the most senior guys at your NYC 8th Ave store. Did fresh Mac OS Sierra install and restored my data, confirmed FileVault was off. Went home and installedHigh Sierra update again and hit the exact same login problem. After being told by everyone that FileVault was the problem, turns out I was right. There’s something wrong with High Sierra. I’d tell everyone to not update if I could. Lost the whole day and probably tomorrow as well.

Sep 27, 2017 1:56 PM in response to benoasan

Hi benoasan ,

I understand that you are being asked to enter your password twice when starting up your Mac, and I'm happy to provide some help for this.

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you have FileVault enabled:

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

FileVault login

User uploaded file

If you've enabled full disk encryption using FileVault, you're prompted to enter your user account name and password to unlock your startup disk.

This password may be different than your macOS login password. If you need to reset your login password, you can find out more here:

Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Nov 14, 2017 7:16 PM in response to Brendajbc

Hi. My issue was fixed by performing a SMC reset on my notebook. If you haven't tried these processes, try the following:

For Mac notebooks:

• Shut down your Mac
  • Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. HOLD these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
  • Release all keys
  • Press the power button again to turn on your Mac

I had to perform the above steps at least 3 times before my screen return to normal. Hope this helps.

For Desktops:

Shut down you Mac

Unplug the power cord and wait 15 seconds

Plug the power cord back in and wait 5 seconds

Press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Oct 10, 2017 11:32 AM in response to ghooker

I Just had to find an ethernet adapter. Once on the network my login worked. The adapter that worked was USB (used with USB-C adapter) with an Apple logo on it. The other brand USB ethernet adapter did not work. The Apple Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter with an Apple ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter together did not work either for some reason.

Dec 11, 2017 1:07 PM in response to benoasan

I have found 'network logins disabled' to be the culprit. To fix this you should, if possible, use wired ethernet to the network that needs to be accessed for login. However, this was impossible for me.

I did find two useful work-arounds

1) It is likely possible to ssh to the updated mac using a terminal window on another computer (e.g. ssh myusername@mycomputername.local). If you are going to re-image, this will enable you to save any files you need to backup before re-imaging. You copy files between macs/linux/unix computers via the scp command.

2) If you are able to get in through ssh or as another Admin user, you can remove the offending network login applications (in my case it was the Centrify and Pulse Secure). If you don't know what you are doing, you should rename instead of deleting files and directories (linux/unix mv instead of rm). You can later have someone re-install any identity-management software you deactivated to rescue your account or data.

Mar 4, 2018 11:32 AM in response to benoasan

I have the same problem which stated with High Sierra update. It looks like some back end services responsible for a authentication fail and will not process user/pass. During this condition, I cannot login to local or domain accounts. Apple advisor asked to reinstall OS, which I did, but it did not resolve the problem as the problem come back few days later. The only way to get back into the system is to restart and loose all unsaved work.

Cannot login after High Sierra Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.