Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airprint not working after ios11 update

Hi all.

I have a Brother printer connected via USB to a Windows computer. I used Airprint Activator and the Bonjour printer wizard. The printer of course supports wireless and is connected to the same WiFi network my phone is on. For nearly two years I have had no issue printing from my iPhone 6 Plus. It would find the printer, I typed in the user name and all as well.

Even during this time however a box would pop up on my iPhone stating something to the effect that the name wasn't secure and if it was expected to hit continue. I would and it would print no issues.

Now after the ios11 update, I cannot print. It finds the printer, yet when I hit print a box pops up stating "Security of connection could not be verified."

I have searched and read and cannot find anything about this. There is no firewall so I would not think the ports would be the issue. Guest account was not enabled before and it worked fine, however I have enabled it now. Still no luck.

I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 4:41 AM

49 replies

Mar 20, 2018 4:39 PM in response to solosheep

Actually, this program works. The steps I took are:

1. turn off the service
  2. use command line as Administrator to ensure "AirPrint" user has a blank password:
    1. C\>net user AirPrint *
    2. Type a password for the user: press Enter to leave it blank
    3. Retype the password to confirm: press Enter to leave it blank
  3. Use the AirPrint Installer 1.3 (pictured by @solosheep)
    1. select AirPrint user for "AirPrint Auth".
    2. ensure allow blank password is checked
  4. turn the service back on

On the iOS side, you'll now see the printer does not have a lock beside it anymore and works again.

Sep 28, 2017 5:39 AM in response to MidTennMtneer

I was able to fix it. Not being a true AirPrint enabled printer, I expected a work around. But seeing as how many on here use third party apps, I expected someone to have an answer. Thankfully I was able to figure it out on my own.

I started by deactivating AirPrint on the PC, then uninstalled the printer completely.

Restarted the PC and reinstalled the printer.

Instead of using "AirPrint Activator" software, I used a program called "Windows AirPrint Installer".

Followed the read-me exactly as stated with the program

All works perfectly fine now. I enabled guest account but really didn't need to as I created a new user called AirPrint so my employees can print as needed.

Apparently ios11 just didn't like the naming structure and security of the Activator software.

There really should be an easier way to enable an old fashioned printer that is hooked up to an always on PC to be able to use AirPrint.

Sep 28, 2017 9:29 AM in response to MidTennMtneer

Congrats - you found solution.

Few points 1. solution is just as perfect as application that you are using right now. Better solution is actual Airprint compatible printer and eventually you are going to pay in your down/work hours to come up with new solution every time would cost you more then new printer. It is also the easy way you referring to that "must be" 2 Best place to look for support for third party applications is on the Printer manufacturers communities, since different printers use different applications/programs. 3 Everybody comes here expecting solution, but it is way better if you solve it yourself, isn't it? - you must be proud.

Sep 28, 2017 9:33 AM in response to solosheep

Yes. Same error. I hope the solution works for you as I know it isn't for everyone.

As for a new printer, if you knew my boss, that won't happen. He won't replace it till it dies, twice. The capability to print from our phones is just a convenience to save logging in on the computers to our icloud email. This is a good work around until this printer needs replaced, which yes will be with one that is AirPrint compatible itself.

Oct 10, 2017 5:55 AM in response to MidTennMtneer

Sorry I am just now replying back. Was off for a bit and wasn't checking my work email.

Yes solosheep. That is the same software I used. I'm not sure it matters, but I'm using it on a machine running Windows 7 Professional, 32bit.

Did you follow the read-me with the software? I did the iOS 5 fix as they call it and then continued. Un-install all the printers before hand?

As for reporting to Apple, yes, I have. I ran beta iOS 11 on my phone for a bit and that is when it started. Reported it. Then went back to 10.... hoping it was just a beta issue. As we can see, it was not.

Oct 22, 2017 5:21 PM in response to MidTennMtneer

I have the same issue. This has happened every time iOS is updated on my iPad Air. I am running Airprint for Windows on Windows 10 Pro. It has worked for years. This time after the upgrade to iOS 11.0.3 I can't print from teh IPad. It can see the printer, as I can turn off printer sharing and the printer disappears from the iPad. Turn it back on and the printer shows up. What doesn't work is "Forget(ing) the Username and Password" for the printer. That should have caused iOS to ask me to input it again.

What is unclear is the root cause of the message "The security of the connection could not be verified"? What connection? It can't be WiFi as one can print to other Airprint printers on the network. It isn't connections to the network discovery SW, otherwise the iPad would not see the printer. So it must be some sort of authentication issue with the account the Airprint for Windows is using, but the message is vague at best.

Oct 29, 2017 7:45 PM in response to fromsouth

Thanks for your useless comment. A lot of us need to use legacy printers that are not Airprint capable. In my case it's a very expensive label printer. We know things "just work" if you do things the Apple way, but we don't have that option. It would be nice if Apple offered more resources to interact with the non-Apple world. I'd settle for an iPad with a USB port so I could plug in my pinter.

Airprint not working after ios11 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.