Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac High Sierra Upgrade - USB Keyboard not recognized

I updated my Late 2013 27" iMac to High Sierra (from Sierra) last night. When the install finished, My Apple USB wired keyboard (with number pad) didn't appear to be recognized. I tried unplugging the device and plugging it into a different USB port with no success. The keyboard had been working just fine under Sierra. I rebooted the machine with the same results. The keyboard does work on another iMac of the same vintage (but running Sierra). Can anyone point me to a fix for this situation? I have no other devices plugged into the USB ports. My Bluetooth Magic Mouse works fine, but I prefer the wired keyboard with the number pad.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 9:33 PM

I have also been experiencing this issue (that's 22 of us so far…). It's intermittent, with the keyboard freezing after ~ 24 hours of uptime, and not showing on the System Information > USB > USB 2.0 Bus > Keyboard Hub > Apple Keyboard.

Feels like a software/firmware glitch, as this was stable AF under Mavericks, El Capitan & Sierra. No hardware changes AT ALL.

Come on, Apple, Disk Utilities is not going to fix something like this. Are you seriously going to ignore the failure of MILLIONS of full-size Apple USB keyboards due to a major OS upgrade?

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2017 9:33 PM in response to Scott Watters1

I have also been experiencing this issue (that's 22 of us so far…). It's intermittent, with the keyboard freezing after ~ 24 hours of uptime, and not showing on the System Information > USB > USB 2.0 Bus > Keyboard Hub > Apple Keyboard.

Feels like a software/firmware glitch, as this was stable AF under Mavericks, El Capitan & Sierra. No hardware changes AT ALL.

Come on, Apple, Disk Utilities is not going to fix something like this. Are you seriously going to ignore the failure of MILLIONS of full-size Apple USB keyboards due to a major OS upgrade?

Sep 27, 2017 3:10 PM in response to Scott Watters1

Hello Scott Watters1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that after upgrading to macOS High Sierra, your USB keyboard is no longer recognized by your iMac. You've done a great job trying to get this resolved. I'm happy to help.

First, try to reset the System Management Controller (SMC). Use the information and steps in the link below:
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

If the issue persists, try resetting NVRAM using the following link:
How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

If the behavior continues, please let us know if other USB devices or keyboards work when connected to your Mac.

Have a great day!

Jan 21, 2018 9:34 AM in response to Scott Watters1

My USB keyboard is recognized only sometimes by my late-2012 MBP running MacOS 10.13 when it’s plugged into either of the MBP’s USB ports directly. It always works when it’s plugged into either of the MBP’s USB ports through any of

• a Belkin 4-socket USB hub
  • an Amazon USB extension cable
  • a laptop cooling pad whose USB power plug has a USB socket

Oct 7, 2017 7:36 PM in response to Scott Watters1

After updating my own 27" late 13 model desktop, my USB apple keyboard no longer works either. I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM, Disk Utility (first aid) and nothing works. The keyboard, when plugged into USB does show up when I look at System Information: USB. It just doesn't work at all. It started off by the space bar not working right after the "upgrade" to High Sierra then died altogether.

Oct 7, 2017 7:37 PM in response to brenden dv

After updating my own 27" late 13 model desktop, my USB apple keyboard no longer works either. I've tried resetting SMC, NVRAM, Disk Utility (first aid) and nothing works. The keyboard, when plugged into USB does show up when I look at System Information: USB. It just doesn't work at all. It started off by the space bar not working right after the "upgrade" to High Sierra then died altogether.

Oct 14, 2017 2:43 PM in response to BMcRaeC

I spent nearly 45 minutes on the phone with Apple support yesterday about this issue. Ultimately, they say my keyboard is defective and they're now sending me a new one. I find it interesting that so many people are having similar issues as I did though this was deemed a hardware issue and nothing to do with High Sierra. Things that make you go, hmm.

Oct 15, 2017 9:19 AM in response to BMcRaeC

Hi, I got the same problem. The bluetooth keyboard that came with the iMac stopped working and got a usb one to replace it. Today after upgrading to High Sierra the Apple usb keyboard just does not work with the iMac so I'm stacked. I tried the usb keyboard with my new MacBook Pro 15" (2017) with upgrade to High Sierra and it worked. My iMac is a 23" 2016.

Oct 19, 2017 12:41 PM in response to climbtrees

so, I had to plug another usb extended keyboard into the High Sierra Imac and it worked.... I then plugged the non working one into my other imac and it started working . I then plugged the orginally non functioning keyboard (worked fine before the upgrade) back in the HIgh Sierra Imac and it started working. I'd recommend once you begin your High Sierra upgrade, UNPLUG your APPLE usb extended keyboards. I have no idea what people would do who have no access to extra keyboards just laying around. Drag my Imac to the Apple Store???

Oct 19, 2017 1:18 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks for the bot answer. None of this works. In fact it rarely solves anything...

Of all things, I plugged the keyboard into a (yuk) Windows PC, where it worked of course, then back into the iMac, and what do you know, it worked. And has continued to work.

There's a problem here during the upgrade process that freaks out something in the works. Maybe Apple just wants to sell the new Bluetooth model with keypad 😁

Nov 1, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Scott Watters1

This is a known and common problem with the Apple USB keyboards. It happens after almost every major OSX upgrade and BootCamp users often face the problem when switching back and forth between Windows/Mac modes. Seems Apple just chooses to ignore it. None of that usual "reset SMC or PVRAM" *bs* helps (does it ever?) ...

What DOES work though, is to unplug your wired keyboard (leave your Mac turned on) and leave the keyboard unplugged for a couple of hours. Then re-attach and hey presto - it works again. You can tell by the green light on the Caps Lock key. If it turns green when pressed the keyboard is working again.

Nov 1, 2017 1:18 PM in response to Jez DK

Interesting. So, if that's consistent for multiple instances, then some kind of persistent state about the keyboard is preserving the old/incompatible setting, and once it times out, the up to date peripheral data is added to the USB state? Just trying to imagine how this approach works… and by way of unintentionally/potentially confirming this, last time it happened with me, I just used the Bluetooth keyboard for a day, then tried the USB one again. So far, several days of uptime, no hangs in ~96 hours or so. Fingers crossed.

Nov 3, 2017 11:44 AM in response to Scott Watters1

I having the same issue, I was tring to upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra, after system reboot, I lost Bluetooth keybard, As I dont have a usb Apple keyboard, I tried two different Windows USB keyboard, didn't success. My install process stucks at "Create Account Name", because I can not input any alphabet !!!!!!!

I cannot reset computer params as it needs keyboard assistance... I am in blackhole now.

iMac High Sierra Upgrade - USB Keyboard not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.