Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Since upgrade to High Sierra Mac Mail will not delete messages from server. Returns error msgThe IMAP command UID COPY (to Trash) failed for the mailbox INBOX with server error: UID COPY Command is not valid in this state.

Since upgrade to High Sierra Mac Mail will not delete messages from server. Returns error msg: "The IMAP command UID COPY (to Trash) failed for the mailbox INBOX with server error: UID COPY Command is not valid in this state."

If I hold down the option key while deleting, the message(s) appear to be deleted, but when exiting and returning to mail, they are right back.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 29, 2017 8:15 AM in response to lonestarm In response to lonestarm

I've just updated to Version 10.13.1 Beta (17B25c), and this issue seems to have been resolved.

I was having the exact issue discussed here with my Yahoo IMAP account. I tried KaptainKopter’s work around but as in his case, after deleting a message, it kept coming back.

I realise this post does not help address the issue this instance, however, there is light at the end if the tunnel.

Let’s hope that the 10.13.1 Public update is available soon. Very soon.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Solved

Sep 27, 2017 2:01 PM in response to markr346nld In response to markr346nld

Thanks, A little more info: Found that only one account in Mac mail was malfunctions. Deleted and reinstalled, downloaded mail from ATT server (IMAP) and seems to be working now. Will see if prob returns.

Sep 27, 2017 2:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 27, 2017 5:41 PM in response to lonestarm In response to lonestarm

I found that if the account has an alias or more than one associated address, when you do the 10.13 update it apparently deleted one of the aliases. So if the message got into the mailbox is to one of the non existent aliases, that may have caused the issue. Addresses are in the Account Information tab under the Email Address pull down.

Sep 27, 2017 5:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 28, 2017 1:30 AM in response to lonestarm In response to lonestarm

This certainly affects Yahoo accounts. It may affect others. Here is a solution...

Mail -> Preferences -> [ Highlight the affected account ] -> Mailbox Behaviors -> Trash Mailbox

Now select On My Mac -> Trash rather than the account's Trash location

Works for me :-)

Sep 28, 2017 1:30 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Sep 28, 2017 6:58 AM in response to KaptainKopter In response to KaptainKopter

I must apologise and correct myself.

With the settings I recommended (i.e. changing where the trashed emails go) the error message has certainly gone away. Furthermore, initially, it appears that the deleted email(s) have indeed gone.

Unfortunately, they keep coming back 😠

Sep 28, 2017 6:58 AM

Reply Helpful

Sep 28, 2017 7:38 AM in response to KaptainKopter In response to KaptainKopter

Thanks, KaptainKopter

The fix you recommend seems to be working. Previously, after starting Mail the first deletion would work, but subsequent deletes (or moves) gave the error message and the target message would just come back. Just applied your fix and delete a batch of unwanted messages, and it so far, no recurring problem.

[The affected account is a IMAP account]

Sep 28, 2017 7:38 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Sep 29, 2017 8:15 AM in response to lonestarm In response to lonestarm

I've just updated to Version 10.13.1 Beta (17B25c), and this issue seems to have been resolved.

I was having the exact issue discussed here with my Yahoo IMAP account. I tried KaptainKopter’s work around but as in his case, after deleting a message, it kept coming back.

I realise this post does not help address the issue this instance, however, there is light at the end if the tunnel.

Let’s hope that the 10.13.1 Public update is available soon. Very soon.

Sep 29, 2017 8:15 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: lonestarm

Question: Since upgrade to High Sierra Mac Mail will not delete messages from server. Returns error msgThe IMAP command UID COPY (to Trash) failed for the mailbox INBOX with server error: UID COPY Command is not valid in this state.