Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone won't delete a saved password (ios11)

I was reviewing my saved passwords under Settings > Accounts & Passwords > App & Website Passwords (ios11) and there is one I do not recognize for a comcast account (I don't use comcast). I tried to delete it, but every time I go back to settings, then go back to check the saved passwords again, it's still there.
How do I permanently delete this saved password?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 9:31 AM

Hi,

I had the same issue and I figured out how to remove all those sticky saved password.

First of all I think this is due to the fact that those saved password are "broken" because they don't have any URL (normally you can't save a password without any URL) but maybe sometime Safari (The smartest browser of the univers) will sometime save a password without any URL. My broken entry was from a public hotspot with safari saved from a captive portal (maybe this is why it was broken).

User uploaded file

So in order to delete it, I tried to put an URL on the entry. (Sadly there is no way to do if from iOS, you will need to use a Mac with your iCloud configured in it (and make sure to sync the keychain / password with iCloud))

Then in the Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app select the iCloud keychain

User uploaded file

Then edit the broken entry (you can easily find them shorting the type column and search for "Localized String Not Found)

And then adding an URL

User uploaded file

And now they show up on iOS correctly and now if we try to delete them, they will not reappear.

User uploaded file

This is why I love Apple, it just work (sometimes).

If your other devices doesn't pickup all the changes from iCloud, try to disable and enable the password sync from your iOS device, I just did it on my iPad.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2018 9:31 AM in response to AP1222

Hi,

I had the same issue and I figured out how to remove all those sticky saved password.

First of all I think this is due to the fact that those saved password are "broken" because they don't have any URL (normally you can't save a password without any URL) but maybe sometime Safari (The smartest browser of the univers) will sometime save a password without any URL. My broken entry was from a public hotspot with safari saved from a captive portal (maybe this is why it was broken).

User uploaded file

So in order to delete it, I tried to put an URL on the entry. (Sadly there is no way to do if from iOS, you will need to use a Mac with your iCloud configured in it (and make sure to sync the keychain / password with iCloud))

Then in the Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app select the iCloud keychain

User uploaded file

Then edit the broken entry (you can easily find them shorting the type column and search for "Localized String Not Found)

And then adding an URL

User uploaded file

And now they show up on iOS correctly and now if we try to delete them, they will not reappear.

User uploaded file

This is why I love Apple, it just work (sometimes).

If your other devices doesn't pickup all the changes from iCloud, try to disable and enable the password sync from your iOS device, I just did it on my iPad.

Oct 19, 2017 9:16 AM in response to AP1222

Hi,

I’m having the same issue. I’ve googled the email address listed and it seems to be from a website in Mexico. Only thing I can think of is that it was a WiFi network I connected to, while I was visiting MX last year, and my iPhone saved it. I’ve tried deleting it dozens of times, but it just will not go away. Please fix this issue Apple!!! Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017 5:56 AM in response to Teddy_B

I too have an App & Website Password that can’t be deleted associated with a WiFi login page from an airport lounge at Heathrow.

Same thing as above, there is no website listed.

The username is

G-LHRLounge.tw@tmobile.de

If I copy this username to a newly created Password it will create another Password that can’t be deleted. It doesn’t matter what I enter as password.

Nov 14, 2017 1:26 AM in response to Community User

I have the exact same issue. The entry listed here that starts with - gabriel.lozano-moran@... is as far as I know used for a wifi-hotspot a very long time ago. The entry - t is a copy of this entry. No I cannot delete either of these two entries nor on my iPhone nor on my iPad. Like others have mentioned whenever I delete them and return to the App & Website Passwords screen both entries are back on the list:

User uploaded file

I have read somewhere else that these entries could maybe be deleted from MacOS but I don't have a Mac, so I am trying to figure out how these entries can be removed from iCloud keychain using a Windows computer.

I am not so keen on resetting the iPhone but maybe disabling iCloud Keychain followed by a reset of the iPhone is a solution (?).

Honestly this is not a big issue but for someone who has OCD this is a problem :-D

Sep 27, 2017 6:08 AM in response to AP1222

Hi there, AP1222!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues deleting passwords in Settings. The first step you can try is to follow the steps for How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . This will allow you to quit the Settings and then, Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and see if you are able to remove the password.

Let me know the results and have a great day!

Nov 26, 2017 3:29 AM in response to panchososa694

Here in Belgium I use one of the biggest providers named Telenet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telenet_(Belgium)

Telenet has an app that you can, but do not have to, install named Telenet Mobile:

https://itunes.apple.com/be/app/telenetmobile/id538791263?mt=8

After logging on it will install a profile that can be used for connecting to their hot-spots all over Belgium (train stations and other public places, other people’s homes, ...)

Sep 27, 2017 8:59 AM in response to Teddy_B

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried that before, but just attempted again to be safe. It doesn't work. The saved password still reappears as soon as I reopen the saved passwords (using touch ID). Weird part is that it doesn't even list a site that it is saved for. Usually a saved password is listed as 'apple.com - 123@gmail.com' but this one just says ' - 123@gmail.com'

It doesn't seem like it's a problem with Settings considering everything else works fine. I even tried clearing all saved passwords, and all the others did delete, but this one remains.

Nov 25, 2017 5:17 PM in response to AP1222

I'm getting this too. I did some digging around and have figured it is arising from my phone. I set up an old iPhone as new and turned on keychain. The problematic entry did appear but I was able to delete it after disabling iCloud Keychain from the original phone. I also found I could remove the entry from my other devices ( as well as keychain access on the Mac). Even with iCloud keychain switched off on my normal phone that single entry still refuses to budge :/

This tells me it isn't an issue with iCloud Keychain but rather the settings on my phone. The next thing I've yet to try is resetting all settings or erasing it but I'm not keen to do this as two of my Pay cards are a headache to re register.

Did you ever get to the bottom of it in your case?

Nov 25, 2017 11:00 PM in response to mike.lamb

I still have this problem on my iPad and iPhone.

I did a reset of my iPad and I have set it up as new. From the moment I turned on iCloud KeyChain the invalid entries were back. Once these invalid entries are on your iPhone, iPad, ... they cannot be deleted.

So far no solution...

If you have a Mac can’t you delete it from iCloud KeyChain on the Mac? I do believe that this is a solution but it might also involve having to reset your iPad, iPhone, ... afterwards.

Nov 26, 2017 3:20 AM in response to panchososa694

As it turns out I had a profile on my iPad for BT WiFi in the UK and I believe the login details for the unwanted entry relate to it. I removed the profile which was only present on my iPad but it has made no difference. I must be getting a different cause as the only device o can’t get it removed from is my iPhone. When I turn on iCloud Keychain it syncs the unwanted item to my other devices and if I switch keychain back off on my phone I can happily delete the problematic entry from my iPad and safari passwords or keychain access on the Mac but if I leave iCloud Keychain switched on on my iPhone it keeps reappearing across all devices

Nov 26, 2017 3:32 AM in response to panchososa694

I guess that what they have in common is that the entries start with a dash (-) character and that the list of websites is empty. So imho the problem is that these kind of entries cannot be deleted from an iOS device because of an issue in iOS itself. The profile is resonsible for creating these entries but iOS is responsible for not being able to delete them.

iPhone won't delete a saved password (ios11)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.