Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange mail not incoming in Mail

Since I updated my MacBook Pro to macOS High Sierra, my Mail app has been acting strange.

At first it synced all my mails (through an iCloud, a Gmail as well as an Exchange account), but today I've not received any more mails on my Exchange account. I'm receiving the mails on my iPhone, so I know it's not the server or anything. Mails are coming in on the other accounts though.

I've tried disabling the Exchange account, removing and re-adding it as well as testing if it sends/receives. When I tried to send a mail from the account to myself (same e-mail address), the app crashed and started looping as in starting with a new message window, crashing again, opening,...

I really don't know what to do because macOS High Sierra is brand new and I can't find anything on the same issue.

If you know a solution, feel free to post it here.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Vince

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 9:51 AM

53 replies

Nov 1, 2017 6:28 PM in response to VinceJacobs

Have you tested since updating toHigh Sierra 10.13.1?

macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 update

High Sierra 10.13.1 appears to consist of additional bug fixes. Apple lists these as including:

• Bluetooth becoming unavailable during Apple Pay transactions;
  • Improvements in Mail synchronisation with Microsoft Exchange servers;
  • A problem in which Spotlight refuses keyboard input;
  • Unreliable SMB printing.

Dec 6, 2017 1:18 AM in response to VinceJacobs

Let's see if anyone that is still having this issue wants to try a test.

If you have more than one Inbox in Apple Mail, let's call them Exchange and Gmail. Make sure you are on the Gmail inbox and quit Mail. Restart Apple Mail and then move to the Exchange account by clicking on to the Exchange inbox. Boom, your email gets pulled in. It only works this way.

Let me know if this works for anyone.

Nov 1, 2017 2:21 PM in response to PierG

Hey up there, if you are listening, wake UP!!

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

BugReporter http://bugreporter.apple.com

Free ADC (Apple Developer Connection) account needed for BugReporter. Setup a free account

http://developer.apple.com/programs/register/

Mac OS X Feedback (no account needed)

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Sep 26, 2017 5:41 PM in response to VinceJacobs

When you delete the account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts, you need to verify in your User's Library/Mail/V5 folder that the alphanumeric folder that contains your Exchange account was actually removed.

Also in the User's Library, delete com.apple.mail folder in Containers.

Log out/in or Restart

Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and add the Exchange account back.

Does it work now?

Sep 27, 2017 12:18 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Dear dianeoforegon

Thank you for your reply.

I tried your suggestion, but I keep having the same issue: there is no mail incoming on the Exchange address.

When I try to send a mail with it (to another one of my e-mail addresses), the Mail app crashes but I still receive the mail that was sent as test.

When the app closes, I receive following crash report:

Crash Log - Pastebin.com

I hope someone can make something of this, because I really need my Mail app for work.

Thanks in advance for the help.

With kind regards

Vince

Sep 27, 2017 1:39 PM in response to VinceJacobs

Your crash log indicates a problem with a folder. Usually deleting the account and adding back fixes this error:

EWS store doesn't have a folder ID

Did you delete the account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts? Not just uncheck...delete.

Do you have subfolders under the Inbox?

The Inbox syncs more frequently than any other and should be kept as clean as possible. (this is the number one cause of problems with sync). Do NOT make subfolders under the Inbox.

I suggest you test your account in a new User to verify the account works.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Users & Groups.

Switch to the New User by logging out under the Apple in the Menu Bar.

You can skip logging in with an Apple ID. Hit continue then skip.

Only Apple apps will be in the Dock.

Open System Preferences

Add your Exchange account.

Open Mail

Does your Exchange account work correctly?

If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

Sep 28, 2017 8:38 AM in response to dianeoforegon

I tried your suggestion by making a new user account and adding the Exchange account.

Multiple times I tried to enter my credentials and go through the dialogue of creating such account, but it always gives me certificate-related notifications. I made sure to always trust them, but when I open the Mail app on the fresh user account, there is a triangle with an exclamation mark besides the name of the account folder. When clicked, it keeps telling me something about the certificate and I can click "details", "cancel" and "continue". All three options lead to the same result: nothing changes and I keep getting the certificate notification window.

On my proper account, the normal Mail app doesn't receive new emails when I'm at work (where the mail server is located) without forcefully closing and re-opening the app. At home, the Mail app doesn't even connect to the server so I don't receive my mails outside of work.

I installed an alternative application for my mails called "Spark", and with the same credentials etcetera I can now receive my mails again. It's a pity though that I have to download a third-party app to have a fully working mailing program. On macOS Sierra everything worked like a charm, but after the macOS High Sierra update everything about the Mail app started failing. Hopefully Apple fixes it as a whole, because I loved working with it.

Still, thanks for your input, and hoping there is a solution on the way!

Oct 2, 2017 10:33 AM in response to Benny B

Hi Benny

Thanks for your reply. I'm somewhat happy to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

My inbox is subfolder-less, so the problem can't be pinpointed to that.

Are you in contact with Apple? If so: can you keep us posted about what they say?

I really want to figure this out, because my Mac doesn't feel the same without the original Mail app.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

Oct 5, 2017 10:54 PM in response to VinceJacobs

Hi Vince,

I have exactly the same problem--Apple Mail does not work with High Sierra and Exchange Server anymore. I spent an hour on the phone with Apple Support today and finally, after the (very nice) support person was stumped she spoke with her supervisor who told her that "Oh, yes, it is a 'Microsoft problem' and that I should call them." Hello??? It works fine on Sierra, so I have reverted back until Apple gets its act together on this one. Time for a new general update to High Sierra that works with Exchange Server like Sierra did. What kind of a lame excuse is it that "it is Microsoft's problem" when the prior version of your OS worked fine, but the new one doesn't...Geeeeezzz!

Oct 9, 2017 8:27 AM in response to Holton

I posted about this issue on the MacRumors forum about macOS High Sierra. A user over there replied the following:

Mail on iOS 11 now authenticates accounts with Microsoft, which seems to alleviate many of the issues I was having. I had to downgrade to Sierra using a Time Machine backup in order to get my Exchange account to work again in Mail on my MacBook Pro (under High Sierra, it refused to authenticate). I'm hesitant to upgrade again until I read that High Sierra has incorporated the authentication scheme used in iOS 11.”

Oct 10, 2017 12:18 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Hi, my client has the same situation, Mail.app on High Sierra and Exchange account. I think to remove and add the account again won't work. Obviously, the problem is security on High Sierra in Mail.app. So we have to wait to than Apple fix this problem. Please let me know if You find another solution but without third party app. Thanks.

Regards Jerelik

Oct 10, 2017 2:02 PM in response to VinceJacobs

Mail and Exchange had been working for me on High Sierra, but today I started having an intermittent problem with incoming emails not coming through. The Activity Window shows that it's stuck on "Checking for Mail". Shutting down and restarting Mail causes all the backed-up income mail to come in, and then mail works for a little while before the problem recurs again.

Exchange mail not incoming in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.