Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Screen Flashing on iTunes 12.7

Hi,

I have had an issue since installing iTunes 12.7 with the password screen flashing and causing iTunes to freeze. This has not happened with any prior versions. I am running Windows 10. I have tried multiple re-installations to no avail. I thought perhaps it was a conflict with a video driver, an antivirus program, etc. No luck. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 12:30 PM

I had the same issue - iTunes would open up then ask for apple id. After inputting apple id the dialog box would stay on screen but the password would start to flash. I couldn't do anything within iTunes. Had to go into Task Manager and shut iTunes down (End Task). I tried opening it three times and ended up with same results.

My fix that worked for me:

Reboot Windows 10 Pro V. 1703 OS Build 15063.608

logged in as Admin

Went to google (Firefox V. 55.0.3 Used in my instance) and searched iTunes

Downloaded iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Ran download of new iTunes

Choose "Repair" option

Repair finished

Opened new icon and iTunes opened without error.

The current version of iTunes I currently have is 12.7.0.166

Fully functional inside iTunes

Hope this helps

54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2017 12:30 PM in response to ejs6263

I had the same issue - iTunes would open up then ask for apple id. After inputting apple id the dialog box would stay on screen but the password would start to flash. I couldn't do anything within iTunes. Had to go into Task Manager and shut iTunes down (End Task). I tried opening it three times and ended up with same results.

My fix that worked for me:

Reboot Windows 10 Pro V. 1703 OS Build 15063.608

logged in as Admin

Went to google (Firefox V. 55.0.3 Used in my instance) and searched iTunes

Downloaded iTunes from https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Ran download of new iTunes

Choose "Repair" option

Repair finished

Opened new icon and iTunes opened without error.

The current version of iTunes I currently have is 12.7.0.166

Fully functional inside iTunes

Hope this helps

Dec 7, 2017 7:48 AM in response to Yvbaby

These steps done appropriately fixed mine:

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Learn how to completely uninstall iTunes and its related software components from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.

In some rare instances, you might need to remove iTunes and related software components before you reinstall iTunes. If you're directed to reinstall iTunes by AppleCare, an article, or an alert dialog, you can do so by following the steps below.

Media that you buy from the iTunes Store or songs that you import from CDs are saved in your My Music folder by default. They won't be deleted when you remove iTunes. Although it's highly unlikely that you'll lose any of your iTunes Library when following the steps below, it's always good practice to make regular backups of your iTunes library.

Learn what to do if you can't install or update iTunes for Windows.

Remove iTunes and its related components from the Control Panel

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support 32-bit
  6. Apple Application Support 64-bit

On some systems, iTunes might install two versions of Apple Application Support. This is expected. If both are present, be sure to uninstall both versions.

Don't uninstall these components in a different order, or only uninstall some of them. Doing so might have unintended effects. After you uninstall a component, you might be prompted to restart your computer. Wait to restart your computer until you're finished removing all of the components.

If you need help uninstalling these components, follow these steps:

User uploaded file

If you see a "Windows installer package" alert message

Follow these steps to try to repair the software through the Windows Control Panel.

User uploaded file

Make sure that iTunes and its related components are completely uninstalled

In most cases, removing iTunes and its related components from the Control Panel will remove all supporting files belonging to those programs. In some rare cases, files might be left behind. After you remove iTunes and its related components, follow the steps below to locate and remove any additional supporting files.

1. Press the Windows and R key on your keyboard to open the run command.
  2. In the Run window, enter:
    %programfiles%
  3. Click OK to open the Program Files folder.
  4. Delete the following folders, if they exist:iTunesBonjouriPodIf you see a message that reads "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program," follow the additional steps at the bottom of this article before proceeding with the rest of the steps below.
  • Open the Common Files folder, then the Apple folder.
  • Delete the following folders, if they exist:Mobile Device SupportApple Application SupportCoreFP
  • Open Local Disk (C:) located in Computer, or whichever hard disk your programs are installed on.If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, skip to step 13.If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, continue with step 8.
  • Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
  • Find the following folders and delete them, if they exist: iTunesBonjouriPod
  • Open the Common Files folder and then the Apple folder.
  • Locate the following folders and delete them, if they exist:Mobile Device SupportApple Application SupportCoreFP
  • Open Local Disk (C:) in Computer, or whichever hard disk your operating system is installed on.
  • Right-click the Recycle Bin, and select Empty Recycle Bin.

User uploaded file

Reinstall iTunes and related components

1. After you make sure that iTunes is completely uninstalled, restart your computer (if you haven't already).
  2. Then download and install the latest version of iTunes for your PC.
  3. If the issue persists, look for more information on the iTunes Support page, including help with specific messages.

User uploaded file

If you see an "iPodService.exe" alert message

Follow these steps if the message "Cannot delete iPodService.exe: It is being used by another person or program" appears when you try to delete the iPod folder.

1. Make sure that iTunes and the iPod Updater utility aren't open.
  2. Press and hold the Control, Alt, and Delete keys on your keyboard.
  3. Select Start Task Manager.
  4. Click the Processes tab.
  5. Locate the iPodService.exe in the list.
  6. Click iPodService.exe, and choose End Process.
  7. Quit Task Manager

Oct 29, 2017 2:56 AM in response to AlexGirl2119

Same for me... what a pile of cr&p. Installed latest ITunes update and, bang, can't use the **** thing.

Looks like this thread running for over 1 month now... WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT APPLE ?

For christs sake if you can't fix stuff promptly why not let people roll back your ****** software updates so that at least they've got a place to go back to until you get your act together

Dec 26, 2017 11:19 AM in response to ejs6263

I have the same problem after downloading the latest update. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of iTunes, but it did not fix the problem. I then tried disconnecting from the internet, which kind of worked and allowed me to log into iTunes, but as soon as I reconnected to the internet, I had the same problem. Seems to be some how related to the internet connection. FYI, I am using a wireless connection. Haven't tried using a wired connection.

Dec 30, 2017 3:25 PM in response to ejs6263

I just encountered this problem, and stumbled upon the simplest solution of all. In Windows Explorer, right click on itunes.exe, (Program Files/iTunes/iTunes.exe) then in the Compatibility tab, select "Run as Administrator". If you don't know how to navigate there, you can right click on the icon and select the same, but may have to do it every time.

Dec 31, 2017 5:30 AM in response to Byte314

This was helpful, I simplified the procedure and this worked for me:

Open Control Panel, select Programs and Features, then iTunes, click Repair

Launch iTunes and enter your credentials.

It may pop up the login again and say that your session expired, if so, go to Account, select Sign out, quit iTunes.

Launch iTunes again and enter your credentials.

I'm running Win 7 Home Premium, SP1 and iTunes 12.7.2.60. I believe the issue occurred after my email address had to be changed.

Password Screen Flashing on iTunes 12.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.