Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is High Sierra compatible with Quicken 2007?

I have been using Quicken 2007 with Sierra quite successfully, but before installing High Sierra I want to find out if Quicken 2007 will be compatible with it. I hope someone knows.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12), AppleTV latest generation

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 3:41 PM

angapmac@ wrote:

I have been using Quicken 2007 with Sierra quite successfully, but before installing High Sierra I want to find out if Quicken 2007 will be compatible with it. I hope someone knows.

Quicken 2007 works for me using macOS High Sierra.

User uploaded file

67 replies

Dec 4, 2017 1:12 PM in response to Old Toad

I second Old Toad's observation: Quicken works well with the data file and the backup folder on any HFS+ volume. It does NOT backup into folders on APFS disks - which are the new default format with High Sierra.

A workaround that doesn't involve buying a disk is to:

• Boot in Recovery Mode (Cmd-R) - so you can adjust your system partition
  • In Recovery mode use Disk Utility to add a new partition on your system disk (it can be very small, a few GB should be ample)

This will shrink the main partition slightly, and so it does require that the volume isn't completely full

• Format the new partition as HFS+ (journaled)
  • Reboot normally
  • Launch Quicken and go to Preferences/Backup, select and/or create a destination folder on the HFS+ volume
  • [Optional] I also moved my Quicken Data file a location on the HFS+ volume, just to be sure

Do this by Loading the data file from Disk, and specifying a new destination on the HFS+ volume

Time Machine will backup the HFS+ volume (unless you explicitly exclude it). If you wish to avoid having that volume show up in the finder, there is a Terminal command documented elsewhere.

It's working well for me. Good luck!

Oct 7, 2017 10:10 AM in response to angapmac

I am able to open and use Quicken 2007, and make changes which appear to save but when I quit it I get the message that it was unable to create a backup file. I appears it is unable to create the backup package but creates two imbedded folders instead that are empty.

I suppose that is not a big deal since I use Time Machine and a daily Carbon Copy Cloner backup so I am already wearing suspenders with my belt...

Oct 13, 2017 6:15 PM in response to Old Toad

Interestingly, it appears that the Quicken Data file needs to reside on the HFS+ drive as well (Looking at Old Toad's post that is how he made it work)

I tried pointing the backup file to an HFS+ drive while the Quicken file was on an APFS formatted drive and no go.

So, my backups will be Carbon Copy Cloner and Time Machine. That should provide enough of a safety net.

Nov 10, 2017 2:03 PM in response to angapmac

My Quicken 2007 worked quite well with Sierra. Earlier this week I upgraded to High Sierra and Quicken 2007 seemed to work quite well until I quit the session. Usually, there is an automatic backup but Quicken 2007 failed to make the backup with High Sierra. I have to use Time Machine to restore to the state just before I updated to High Sierra. It was a royal pain in the neck but Quicken 2007 is working properly again.

Nov 16, 2017 4:39 PM in response to angapmac

I just installed High Sierra on my MacBook Pro. Quicken 2007 opened and let me record a new transaction. However, Intuit states that Quicken 2007 is NOT compatible with High Sierra. I would be very cautious about upgrading to High Sierra. One saved entry is not much of a test.

See this link:

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-201 6

Nov 17, 2017 8:40 AM in response to SirAngler1

If I knew how to edit my own comment I would but I cant find a way to do that.

Update:

Okay, I need to add more information to my post.

First, my Quicken data file is on an iMac desktop which still has El Capitan. For a decade I have successfully used Quicken 2007 from the iMac, my MacBook Pro with Sierra, my wife's MacBook Pro with Sierra and her iMac with Yosemite over my LAN (home network). That's four computers accessing the same data file, but never at the same time.

After updating my MacBook Pro to High Sierra and successfully recording a transaction from my MacBook Pro, I went back to my iMac and tried to open Quicken this morning. It reported that my data file was locked and I could not save changes. It would not let me in

So, apparently, opening Quicken from High Sierra somehow altered my data file so that it could not be used on a previous OS.

Fortunately, I was able to restore the data file from a backup. And it works fine again. I don't think I will be upgrading my iMac to High Sierra anytime soon.

Nov 19, 2017 2:04 PM in response to Old Toad

When I installed High Sierra, I had the same problem. I use an external drive to back up my Time Machine. How should I approach this? Purchase another drive and while Sierra is installed, format that drive with HFS, then upgrade to High Sierra? The drive formatted as HFS still show up as a mounted disk?

I love to keep my Mac OS up-to-date but I also love my Quicken 2007.

Nov 28, 2017 3:10 PM in response to arnoldh3151

Any thoughts?

Don't use DropBox. You're putting all of your financial information out on a 3rd party server where it may or may not be secure. I certainly wouldn't put it up in the cloud. Get an external HD that's formatted OS X Extended (journaled) and put the Quicken data file on it. Then the automatic backup feature of Quicken will work. It won't work if the data file is on a volume formatted APFS.

Is High Sierra compatible with Quicken 2007?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.