Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The recovery server could not be contacted.

What does this mean? I’m trying to reinstall macOS High Sierra! Can’t get past this error message “the recovery server could not be contacted”

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2017 9:01 PM

I had the same issue after I wiped the drive on my MacBook Pro. When you wiped the drive you selected the wrong format. All you need to do is simply go to disk utilities and erase the drive again, but this time select APFS (Encrypted) rather than just APFS. You may now click Reinstall macOS High Sierra. Side note, make sure you have internet connection in your status bar.

297 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2017 9:01 PM in response to cmtomaino

I had the same issue after I wiped the drive on my MacBook Pro. When you wiped the drive you selected the wrong format. All you need to do is simply go to disk utilities and erase the drive again, but this time select APFS (Encrypted) rather than just APFS. You may now click Reinstall macOS High Sierra. Side note, make sure you have internet connection in your status bar.

Nov 16, 2017 1:09 PM in response to fosterje

I have found one other solution to the problem. In disk utilities click on apple add and delete it, not erase, but delete it and everything else that is there. Keep only the OS X base system. Then check to make sure you have a WiFi connection and shut off the computer. You now need to boot into recovery mode and from there go to disk utilities. You should notice your sad is back along with other greets out drives. Click the apple sad and click erase, rename it as Macintosh HD, format it as OS X Extended Journaled, and choose guid partition map underneath that. You may exit utilities and click reinstall OS X, good luck:)

Sep 27, 2017 3:25 PM in response to Tesserax

I recently bought this used Mac from a family member who hasn’t used it in a long time and forgot their password. I had to wipe it clean and restart fresh, I can’t reinstall because of that error message. I have looked at many different alternatives via google and have also contacted Apple support to which they say since it just came out 2 days ago that there is high volume and the server is jammed up and I have to keep trying for hours as I’m their words even days!

Oct 27, 2018 6:49 AM in response to cmtomaino

Hi,

I just had this problem yesterday (October 26, 2018) and found a quick fix (today, October 27, 2018) on contacting the recovery server.

Check your internet connection first. (We usually have fast internet connection using wired lan, just re-plug it or use a fast wifi internet)

Then you need to update/set your date using the terminal. On the terminal, type ntpdate -u time.apple.com then hit enter. Wait for the command to be executed then close the terminal once finished.

Try to install the OS again.

I hope this helps. It worked for me.

If not, you can check out the following:

High Sierra update error: The Recovery Server could not be contacted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3SLxT4uH4

Best regards,

Adrian.

Oct 19, 2017 8:34 AM in response to Jo Desmet

What I had to end up doing was recovery booting , open disk utility and completely nuke everything but the recovery partition. Then boot back up into internet recovery mode. This takes forever but eventually you will get back to the recovery menu and from there just reinstall OSX , it will look like it’s hung up on 5 or 6 minutes or whatever but eventually it will finish. It might take a couple hours. Just wait it out and it will reformat your hard drive and your system will be like new. Oh, and you’ll lose any saved data so before you do this try to move your data around with the command line back in recovery mode.(look up copying files via terminal).

Dec 20, 2017 11:52 AM in response to Jo Desmet

Thank you this was my problem. In recovery mode, I did as you mentioned. I accessed the Terminal via drop down menu on the bar. Then used the window that is opened which is blank. I checked the date just to make sure that was the problem. All I had to do is type Date. The date came back to January 1st. It was here that I knew I had to change it. So, I inputted the correct UTC time in the format you provided mmddhrmiyr (month day time in military format and year). WALA! Problem solved! I was able to by pass the RECOVERY SERVER COULD NOT GET CONTACTED prompt.

Note: you will need the current UTC time! All you need to do is google “current UTC” and that is it. Formatted as mentioned above and enter. Quit terminal and go back to reinstall software.

Nov 26, 2017 7:14 AM in response to cmtomaino

are there any other solutions? im about to make my own question because i have tried the new user and setting the time and i still have issues but before that ill ask here. I can't even manually download the patch either. Im on 10.12.6 and it just won't bloody work the support site only has a 10.13.1 update and a 10.13 supplemental which both require 10.13. I am using a mid 2014 macbook pro so it should run it. I swear this happens every time i want to update.

First clicking on the updates button in the app store results in a "an error has occurred" and "can't connect to the apple software update server" but i was able to update Xcode. I can download like a 19mb file from the app store for high sierra but when i run it i get "the recovery server could not be contacted" but i checked the site and everything is running on green! And i do have an internet connection on the mac otherwise i would not be here posting this!

I don't get how i always have so much trouble with a simple freaking OS update. I thought apple was supposed to be more reliable than windows.

Oct 16, 2017 6:11 PM in response to cmtomaino

Get a terminal window, frome the recovery menu. The menu bar at the top, not the window dot in the middle. Then enter the date command and you should see some some old date at January 1st. My MBP has a battery problem and wasn’t plugged in for a while so the system date got reset.

To fix type

date 1016200017

which is October 16th 20:00 (or 8pm) 2017.

So mmddhhmiyy

all two digits.

After that recovery worked. Must have something to do with certificate validity or something maybe.

The recovery server could not be contacted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.