Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra won't send iMessages

Since I have High Sierra installed, I cann't send iMessage. It shows "Not delivered", but incoming messages works properly. I did try to turn on and off iMessages, restart, activate two factor authentication, but it still doesn't work.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 2:05 PM

Hi,

Try Signing In and Out (Quit in between).

User uploaded file

8:45 pm Thursday; September 28, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)
50 replies

Sep 29, 2017 12:19 PM in response to Zedex70

Hi,

In that case work through this Users Tip When the iMessages account will not Login

If you have to ring Apple there are things to remember:-

1) it will t sake a while.

2) Level 1 responders are looking are Apple Case issues.

3) Apple IDs are free to fix.

4) you have to get high enough up the chain to be able to get the person to actually check the server.

AS each device uses the Serial Number to identify itself the Block can be Device Specific. This means the ID may work in iTunes and the App Store and only Not Work on the Mac for iMessages.

User uploaded file

8:19 pm Friday; September 29, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sep 30, 2017 12:19 PM in response to Zedex70

Hi,

If the Apple ID is not logged in but is using the iPhone Number on the Mac to Receive at least it is possible that the link with the iPhone number will stay live to allow SMS to work.

All this needs is that at some point the iPhone Number and Apple ID were linked for SMS and then that the two devices on your LAN are still using the Apple ID for the SMS info to be forwarded to the Mac.

The reverse can happen on the iPhone whereby the Number gets deselected (not a User choice but know to happen now and then).

If the Apple ID is still a Receive and Send option then the iMessages get through via the "sync" copies.

The active link tends to be time limited when on device goes Off line.

The Users Tip details things you can try before phone Apple Support and moving up the chain until someone high enough can look at the server and say if your Apple ID use from your Mac is blocked.

The Serial Number makes it Device Specific and it also leaves other apps unaffected.

User uploaded file

8:19 pm Saturday; September 30, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 2, 2017 4:25 PM in response to Zedex70

I have the same issue. I saw a post for an other OS in which bad (incompatible) Keychain entries was the cause of the problem. In that post, the Sr. Tech at Apple suggested deleting a number of Keychain entries. Post is located here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&v ed=0ahUKEwixm5i6r4TXAhWM7oMKHee9A1oQFggo…

I have not tried it yet. I am out of town and cannot get to a full backup until I get home. Don't want to take the chance of deleting something I shouldn't without that backup available. 🙂

r/Jim

Nov 30, 2017 12:44 PM in response to JBrEck18

Hi,

Try this

Downloaded High Sierra yesterday. Today my Mac has stopped sending or receiving iMessages. Have tried resetting, signing in/signing out, rebooting, etc. What now?

User uploaded file

8:44 pm Thursday; November 30, 2017

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Dec 11, 2017 7:17 AM in response to Zedex70

LogOut of your iCloud accounts, Messages;

Go to system preferences;

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then sign out:

User uploaded file

Go to Messages preferences then click accounts, then sign out:

User uploaded file --- sign out >>>>User uploaded file

Open FaceTime and make sure it's not logged in...

User uploaded file

Now, AFTER you've made sure you're logged out - Reboot or Power off computer, then allow it to boot back up and turn on these settings - it wouldn't hurt if this does not fit it to do a safe boot then retry, or you can do a safe boot next then boot back normally then turn on your iCloud accounts and log back in... Either way, make sure you boot before you try to enable the iCloud again.... I've fixed so many problems this way that just switching on and off would not repair, now it is my go to first step.

Sep 29, 2017 5:48 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

User uploaded fileI wrote it in my first post, I have problem only with sending iMessage from my Mac. Receiving iMessages and SMS and sending SMS works properly. iMessage on my iPhone works fine.

See my Account settings, everything looks good.

User uploaded file

But when I send iMessage from my Mac, immediately I see "Not delivered"

User uploaded file

In case I send SMS (green messages), it works. Only outgoing iMessage from Mac doesn't work.

Oct 7, 2017 8:42 AM in response to Zedex70

To add to the problem:

From time to time my account in Messages on the Mac is set as Passive even if the activate tick box still is set. If I then try to log out then I am not able to log in again for many hours. If this happens then FaceTime will not log in either.

At the moment I am logged in again. Receives all messages but cannot send iMessages on then Mac. It is working on the phone.

I tried almost everything. Så it must be a server problem, a bug in the High Sierra or my appleId in connection with iMessages.

There is a lot in the system log, but I do understand to read it and see if it mean anything.

Hope Apple will solve the issue.

Oct 8, 2017 4:36 PM in response to Zedex70

Update:

I had a call to Apple support. They recommended try to create new user profile on my Mac. After new account created, iMessages worked properly. I was logged only into iMessage. But when I connect my iCloud to this profile, Problem returned.

Because I’m using Keychain on iCloud, I think problem is authentication in my Mac. Keychain contains any keys incompatible with High Sierra, Error message come immediately after click to send.

High Sierra won't send iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.