Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weather Widget not updating since iOS 11

I have noticed that my Weather Widget doesn't update the temperature when I slide over to that screen. The actually app shows the correct temp if I tap on it, but the widget is stuck on a temp from hours or days ago unless I reboot. Anyone else have this problem or have a fix?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 7:12 AM

33 replies

Sep 28, 2017 7:56 PM in response to GregP74

Hi GregP74,

I understand that since updating to iOS 11 you're having trouble with the Weather widget updating in the "Today View". I also see that this is temporarily fixed by restarting your iPhone, but later on the behavior returns. I know how useful widgets are to reference and I'd like to help. I'd recommend removing the Weather widget from your today view and then re-adding it using these steps:

Add or remove widgets in the Today View

You can add and remove widgets and even reorder them so your favorite ones are at the top.

1. Swipe right over the Home screen or Lock screen.
  2. Scroll to the bottom and tap Edit.
  3. To add a widget, tap User uploaded file. To remove a widget, tap User uploaded file. To reorder your widgets, touch and hold User uploaded file next to the apps and drag them in the order that you want.
  4. To finish, tap Done.
Use widgets on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Take some time to test the Weather widget for the issue you mention and let me know what you find.

Warmest Regards.

Sep 28, 2017 8:09 PM in response to GregP74

Hey GregP74,

Thanks for letting us know you've attempted that already. Our next suggestion would be to create a recent backup, if you don't have one already: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then, use the steps below to reinstall the iOS software to your iPhone. Be sure to pay close attention to step four and choose to "Update" to prevent data loss:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps:
    • On an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery-mode screen.
      User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, let the download finish, then repeat these steps.
    User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.
If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best Regards.

Dec 27, 2017 11:19 AM in response to GregP74

I had the same issue for quite a while. Apparently, when they did the update it changed some privacy settings...

Make sure that your location for the weather app is set to always. To do this follow the following steps:

1: Open Settings

2: Scroll down to privacy and open

3: Open Location Services

4: Scroll down to find the "Weather" app and open

5: Change location access from never to always

I hope this helps, I know that it fixed it for me after quite some time struggling with this issue

Dec 10, 2017 9:08 AM in response to GregP74

This is a real bad problem! Serious enough it could have killed my dog. I check for cold temperatures to put her in the garage. One evening it said something in the mid 50 degree range, but I questioned it, and opened it to the app to discover it was below freezing! At first I thought it was just my phone, but I see that's not the case now. It would be really easy to glance at it and believe everything is okay for yououtdoor animals.

Jan 1, 2018 8:05 AM in response to SoapieSophi

It did not help me either, tried even resetting all settings, and granting access to my position at all times. It updates when I enter the weather app, but after that the widget does not budge or change in any way.

It is a little frustrating indeed, I am considering going to the Apple Store to see if they have a solution, of if Apple is aware of the issue.

Feb 1, 2018 7:11 AM in response to GregP74

I am having the same issue, and nothing I try seems to fix it. Restarting the phone will update the weather widget once, but it will not continue to update.

This is frustrating because I used to check the weather widget frequently, and now it’s become useless. I had iOS 11 beta for a while and gave feedback on the issue, but apparently Apple hasn’t gotten around to fixing this annoying bug. I wouldn’t expect this problem to be on the stable version of iOS for this long...

Jul 27, 2018 6:07 AM in response to GregP74

I have the same issue. i only updated my iphone se a month ago to avoid major bugs. Aparently this issue wont be fixed and you will have to update you location acces. but the thing is i dont want to turn on my localization. it drains the battery and it doesnt need my position to find the weather forcast when i already configured my app to my city!

Weather Widget not updating since iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.