Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (2016 touch ID) screen lock issue

After upgrading to High Sierra, the screen lock behavior is becoming very weird

1. It could randomly goes to screen lock without any sign (it could happen 3 ~ 10 times a day, randomly). Originally I thought it is related to automatically logout issue reported already, and tried the quick fix, but it is obviously not: all of the application are still running after I unlock the screen, so it is obviously not logout. Also, despite I tried those fix, the issue still randomly happen.
  2. By using shortcut (ctrl + cmd + q) or the control strip from touch bar to trigger screen lock. By right screen will black out, however now the it will black out first and light up right away to stay in login screen.

Both of the problems didn't happen in previous macOS version of Sierra, which is kind of annoying to see these issues now. Is there anyone happen to have the same problem here or even already have solution already? Thanks!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 3:03 AM

It seems some of the cases can be solved by upgrading to 10.13.1. (Screen keeps turning off and going to lock screen on High Sierra)

but I'm not the lucky one, downloading 10.13.2 for trying now... will see.

12 replies

Nov 7, 2017 9:13 AM in response to olivereyeem

For sure! Have you or anyone contacted Apple support about this? When I contacted them a couple weeks ago, they claimed they weren't aware of this issue. They suggested I first try using my laptop without my 5K LG display, which seems to prevent the screen turning off issue, but not the other issues. They also suggested creating a new user profile and see if that has any affect. Their final recommendation was to reinstall High Sierra without importing any user data.

In any case, there is definitely a bug, since this is undesirable behavior occurring to all of us. So it may be worthwhile for everyone in this thread and here to use what's left of our tech support and raise the issue with Apple, citing these two threads.

Oct 4, 2017 3:03 AM in response to hcyam

I can confirm I'm experiencing what sounds like the same problem. Screen can randomly lock if I stop using the machine for even a few moments. If I catch it quickly enough pressing a key or moving the mouse can cancel it but it's ridiculously annoying.

This issue also only started after High Sierra. I'm using a MacBook Pro14,3 (15-inch 2017).

Oct 4, 2017 6:31 AM in response to hcyam

I think you are confusing display sleep with lock screen.

They are two DIFFERENT things.

Lock screen is what you are seeing. You need to enter your password to proceed.

Display sleep blacks out the screen (it may or may not be locked at this point, depending on your security settings)

You can black out the screen when it is locked, by pressing the ESCAPE key, or by using a hot corner.

Oct 4, 2017 6:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, there are two separate issues, as he described in his post.

I've noticed that situation where when you press the "lock screen" button it flashes black, then goes to locked account screen before finally sleeping the screen, weird but not an issue.

**Edit: To clarify on the above, this behaviour is NOT how it used to act in Sierra, El Capitan, etc. Before when you used the hotkey to LOCK SCREEN, it went instantly black (and locked account), it didn't flash about between black, locked screen on, then black again.

The real problem is the one where, while working (if not pressing keys for a few seconds or such) the screen randomly goes black and then if you don't react quickly enough, locks the machine, while you're working on it! This is not anywhere near in line with my energy saver settings (set to only automatically turn off display after 15 minutes, not 15 seconds).

This is most definitely a OS bug/issue which has arisen since High Sierra.

Oct 12, 2017 1:51 PM in response to olivereyeem

I have this problem too. My mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro Retina has started doing this, only after I updated to High Sierra. It darkens the screen and locks it, without any input, not even touching the track pad. You have to log in again and everything is there. Not easy to use this way. Imagine listening to music or watching a movie, and the screen locks all on its own.

I agree, it sure looks like a bug.

Nov 6, 2017 3:59 PM in response to hcyam

I have the exact same issues. The update hasn't resolved them. Do you guys also find that resting your finger on Touch ID unlocks the computer but doesn't turn the display(s) on? You have to click on the touchpad or press a key, and hope you don't mess up an active document. I've simply been pressing the touch ID button now, whereas before I could just rest my finger briefly on it.

Nov 8, 2017 7:23 AM in response to hcyam

Just updated to 10.13.2 Beta 2 (17C67b)

Firstly, ever since last update to 10.13.2 Beta 1 about 5 days ago, the random screen lock problem seems gone. I do hope it is really fixed, but I believe we need more time to observe since it is randomly happen.

Secondly, lock screen black out and light up right away issue is still there in 10.13.2 Beta 2. But the good news is, when we are going to unlock the screen by using Touch ID, I don't need to press the button but just need to rest my finger on Touch ID like it behaved before upgrade to High Sierra.

Always good to see improvement, but really hope this kind of fundamental issue wouldn't happen again in any of the future upgrades.

MacBook Pro (2016 touch ID) screen lock issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.