Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen keeps turning off and going to lock screen on High Sierra

Just as the subject says, my 15-inch 2016 MacBook Pro Retina connected to my LG 5K display keeps fading off the screen like the Energy Saver settings for "Turn display off after" is set to 15 seconds (it's set for 3 minutes on battery and 10 minutes when powered). I don't have hot spots nor screen savers set.

As a secondary bug to High Sierra, when I use TouchID to unlock my computer, I now need to press the button otherwise it unlocks my computer with the screen off (I know this because I can interact with windows and type and when I turn my display on, it's modified my documents, etc).

A final bug is when I was at the coffee shop and my computer was turned off and lid open, it kept turning on. I kept pressing "shut down" and it would turn on again. This all seems related somehow. I've reset both the NVRAM and SMC with no change.

None of this was an issue with Sierra. So far, I'm quite unimpressed with the number of bugs with High Sierra. I thought this version is suppose to first and foremost be a performance/bug improvement over Sierra, but so far I haven't had as many problems with OSX since Lion (OSX 10.7).

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13), LG UltraFine 5K Display

Posted on Oct 15, 2017 8:44 AM

6 replies

Nov 6, 2017 3:53 PM in response to hcyam

Has this issue been resolved in the 10.13.2 public beta? Incidentally, it turns out my RAM was bad and needed a logic board replacement. Now I'm wondering if my user settings have corruption that exploits this bug. You may want to check your RAM too (when turning on computer, hold the D button to run a diagnostic).

I'll also add that while observing events using console, I noticed that right before the screen turns off, I see a notice from powerd that reads "rootDomain's user activity state:0". That's followed by a powerd notice that reads "Display state: Off".

As for having to press the Touch ID button to login (instead of just resting my finger), this behavior was exhibited on a fresh install of High Sierra on a different machine. I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about it.

Nov 21, 2017 7:38 AM in response to FluxArc

I'm on a 13 inch rMBP Late 2012, with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.1 (17B48).

The computer is set to go to sleep after 10 min on both battery and plugged in.

My screen keeps turning off constantly for a couple of seconds during usage.

It may happen during any software I use (Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Chrome, etc.)

Sometimes it requires a password when the screen turns back on.

I have not tried to see if I do not move my mouse of press any buttons after the screen turns off, to see if it will stay that way.

Screen keeps turning off and going to lock screen on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.