Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the "Documents" folder in High Sierra?

There is no "Documents" folder in High Sierra for users? Or it is hidden? If I try and create a folder it says the name is already taken. What am I missing? It IS accessible through the "Go" dropdown menu.

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 6:51 AM

You have enabled Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive. It is a default setup.

You will find them in iCloud Drive.

If you don't want this, then disable the feature in iCloud System prefs, iCloud Drive Options.

Once disabled, drag the files from each of the iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents folders into the folders that are now available in your Home.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2017 6:51 AM in response to chuck van

You have enabled Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive. It is a default setup.

You will find them in iCloud Drive.

If you don't want this, then disable the feature in iCloud System prefs, iCloud Drive Options.

Once disabled, drag the files from each of the iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents folders into the folders that are now available in your Home.

Oct 1, 2017 7:09 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney-15E, that was the answer I was looking for; I don’t remember choosing it as a default but I have had similar issues following previous upgrades.

One further question, since I have not previously chosen "The Cloud” for storing documents as my default, how would that choice affect my Time Machine backups?

Thank you.

Where is the "Documents" folder in High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.