Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high sierra sony tv display issue, replug necessary

I have a mid 2011 mac mini, 2.3 GHz i5 cpu, just upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra. I use a Sony TV as a display via HDMI interface. It is a KDL-40R510C model TV. This issue occurs at boot time with High Sierra. It did not occur with macOS Sierra (10.12) on the exact same hardware.

While booting, I see the gray screen with the apple icon in the center and a progress bar below it. As the progress bar nears the right end, the screen goes black and stays black. Tapping keys on the keyboard and clicking the mouse have no effect. The system is running. If I disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable, the login screen appears and I can log in and use the system. Replugging the display cable fixes the problem

I do notice this repeated message in /var/log/system.log: Oct 1 08:51:25 minimus com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.displays.MirrorDisplays): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 7:59 PM

I have downgraded the system to Sierra (macOS 10.12.6). The black login screen is gone. I was also seeing pdf's rendered as black rectangles, and that is also not a problem with Sierra. I'll think twice before attempting another upgrade to High Sierra.

4 replies

Oct 18, 2017 11:46 AM in response to Lukas Prime

After I went to display settings to see if I can tune anything there (no I couldn’t. My screen is identified as Sony *2 which I wondered if it could cause an issue btw). I then restarted twice and now I don’t get blank screen anymore. Before it was resolved I put my macmini to sleep and it didn’t have black screen after waking so sounds like there’s different levels of issues with Sony TVs

high sierra sony tv display issue, replug necessary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.