Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: pdf rendering as black rectangle

Pdf's are rendering as black rectangles in Preview.app. Notice the thumbnails in the screenshot. They also render thusly if I tap the spacebar in finder for a Quick Look. I have tested 20 or so pdf's. I have not tested all of the pdf's on this system, obviously (far too many). Opening the exact same file in, e.g., Firefox displays it properly.

User uploaded file

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 5, 2017 9:00 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT In response to JimmyCMPIT

That particular pdf was a scan created by Image Capture, the macOS app. It appears to be the scans created with Image Capture that have this problem. Just viewed some downloaded pdf's that rendered properly.

[I edited this post].

Oct 5, 2017 9:00 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 5, 2017 8:59 AM in response to Nidan.2006 In response to Nidan.2006

Hmmm, that seems to indicate there's something in particular that Preview may not like about those PDFs; can you find one that renders improperly out on the web somewhere, or is it only ones generated by Image Capture?

Oct 5, 2017 8:59 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 5, 2017 11:09 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1 In response to Luis Sequeira1

Here ya go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy758gcifk276a5/periodic%20table.pdf

It's a scan of a page with a sketch of the periodic table. Renders as a nice, solid black rectangle in Preview. I am considering downgrading the OS. High Sierra has too many problems for me at the moment. I should have waited to upgrade.

Oct 5, 2017 11:09 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 5, 2017 12:35 PM in response to Nidan.2006 In response to Nidan.2006

I was unable to reproduce this problem with Sierra or High Sierra.

I suggest you contact the developer of the software making the PDF and see if they can provide an answer because the problem is not caused by Preview,

User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2017 12:35 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 5, 2017 2:34 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT In response to JimmyCMPIT

I did the scans with Image Capture on the same system (a mac mini). The problem is specific to this system. I can access the disk over my home network with macOS file sharing then view the same files using Finder Quick Look and Preview on a macbook pro running High Sierra and they render fine. Oh well.

Oct 5, 2017 2:34 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 6, 2017 2:58 AM in response to Nidan.2006 In response to Nidan.2006

I also have no problem opening the pdf you posted.

Makes me think there might be a software conflict with something you may have installed on your mac.

I suggest you run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its report here.

Oct 6, 2017 2:58 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Nidan.2006

Question: pdf rendering as black rectangle